Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
If I were you I would find a COMPETENT dealer and jump all over Jeepcares replacing the clutch for you. You will have a brand new clutch and, if properly installed, should be good for a long time. Make sure they properly grease the throw out bearing and moving parts since that was bad on mine and a buddy of mine's from the factory.
See how you like the clutch after a fresh one and and then decide on the Centerforce. Or maybe... ;)

1607557800196.png
Hereā€™s another funny one. Iā€™ve posted this before. Itā€™s worth another look, classic.....
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 66FA88FF-2DBE-4A69-B80D-8EBDA1C2A60E
Sponsored

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'd talk to some who have some miles on the Centerforce. There have been several customers complaining of noises. Some significant. They may need to fine tune it a bit for this application.

Centerforce Clutch

There might be other aftermarket options out there, but someone else will have to chime in on them. I know little or nothing about them.
I have the center force clutch and I have looked into it. People running those clutches on other vehicles have the same noise. It's the weights they string to the inside of the fingers. Supposedly if they are cut off much of the noise/vibration will go away.

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hereā€™s another funny one. Iā€™ve posted this before. Itā€™s worth another look, classic.....
66FA88FF-2DBE-4A69-B80D-8EBDA1C2A60E.jpeg
Ah... First to fourth - always a smooth gear change when taking off from the line.

Brings new perspective to living your life a 1/4 mile at a time.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I have the center force clutch and I have looked into it. People running those clutches on other vehicles have the same noise. It's the weights they string to the inside of the fingers. Supposedly if they are cut off much of the noise/vibration will go away.
If I recall from "back when" the weight is what makes it a Centerforce clutch & what makes these clutches grip better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If I recall from when the weight is what makes it a Centerforce clutch & what makes these clutches grip better.
Correct, at high rpm the centripetal force on the weights applies additional pressure against the flywheel to reduce the chance of slippage

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If I recall from "back when" the weight is what makes it a Centerforce clutch & what makes these clutches grip better.
Correct, however I'm almost certain the clutch is rated for far more torque than the trans can handle.

After running it for about 10k miles the clutch noise has gotten better. When I first installed it I thought something was broken.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Ummm... you shouldn't smell your clutch... at all.
I've cruised at 80 mph, wheeled on trails, stalled on rocks, sputtered, clanged, etc... and NEVER smelled the clutch.
The only time I ever smelled it was when I was an idiot. I was in 4H and trying to back up a dirt mound like an idiot and man did it stink. That was my fault because I should have been in 4L for what I was doing.
Smelling a clutch during normal operation is a red flag.
yes I know Mgroeger and thanks , I hope I can stretch the lifespan until Exedy offers JL clutch ... Centreforce is just bit too pricey at this time plus I don't climb up rocks , at least not yet : )

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
You might call South Bend Clutch. They have a solid (not hollow like OEM) center plate that fixes the issue, while retaining the rest of the cost-effective clutch setup.

JSKAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Looks like I get to experience this issue as well.

My clutch has started to slip and before this it did seem like it was quite easy to generate a burning smell from the clutch if I tried to drive aggressively at all. My Jeep currently has 21k miles and I already had the recall service completed earlier this year. I have an appointment set up at my local dealer Monday to get it checked out.

- Created an account to post as I read through about a third of the thread but hadn't seen anyone post an issue after having the recall service done. I am curious if the dealer/Jeep will cover the repairs. Our Jeep has never been off road and only goes between the school, Grandma & Pappa's house, and the gym on sunny days.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Our Jeep has never been off road and only goes between the school, Grandma & Pappa's house, and the gym on sunny days.
Thats tough to defend for a JL jeep... all of these are less than 3 years old.

I'm sure the aftermarket will develop and at a MUCH lower cost than the 8 auto rebuild.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like I get to experience this issue as well.

My clutch has started to slip and before this it did seem like it was quite easy to generate a burning smell from the clutch if I tried to drive aggressively at all. My Jeep currently has 21k miles and I already had the recall service completed earlier this year. I have appointment set up at my local dealer Monday to get it checked out.

- Created an account to post as I read through about a third of the thread but hadn't seen anyone post an issue after having the recall service done. I am curious if the dealer/Jeep will cover the repairs. Our Jeep has never been off road and only goes between the school, Grandma & Pappa's house, and the gym on sunny days.
I'd reach out to @JeepCares on that. Way to early to wear one of these out. Something has to be amiss.

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I just had my recall inspection performed on Friday - after leaving my Jeep there for almost 7 hours, I think Iā€™m all set but couldnā€™t tell from the 5 page receipt what they did exactly... It looked like .5 hours labor/checked for air in the system in one section it said no sleeve added - and in another area (a few pages later) it looked like they maybe added the sleeve? Either way, the rep told me that everything looked fine - what was maybe a little more irritating was that they gave my my first oil change and tire rotation, but didnā€™t rotate the 5th wheel on the back in to the mix - sigh...

JSKAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Update #1:
Brought my Jeep to the shop today and just got a call back. Technician informed me that the clutch and flywheel both need to be replaced. He then stated that when he went to order the part, he received a notice (attached below with PII redacted) directing him to contact FCA before ordering the parts. He stated that he had never seen this before, and could not tell me what to expect. He also stated that regardless of the outcome of this notice, they (local shop techs) were blown away that the clutch had already gone out. He also let me know that before they saw this notice they were already planning on trying to find a solution to get this covered as my Jeep is otherwise spotless and without signs of wear and tear.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] Clutch Issue

Side note - check your hinges. Mine were corroding and I asked the shop about them. FCA is covering their repair/replacement and the warranty for that is 60 months. My hinges weren't terrible but you could definitely tell when you get up close while cleaning.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update #1:
Brought my Jeep to the shop today and just got a call back. Technician informed me that the clutch and flywheel both need to be replaced. He then stated that when he went to order the part, he received a notice (attached below with PII redacted) directing him to contact FCA before ordering the parts. He stated that he had never seen this before, and could not tell me what to expect. He also stated that regardless of the outcome of this notice, they (local shop techs) were blown away that the clutch had already gone out. He also let me know that before they saw this notice they were already planning on trying to find a solution to get this covered as my Jeep is otherwise spotless and without signs of wear and tear.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] Clutch Issue

Side note - check your hinges. Mine were corroding and I asked the shop about them. FCA is covering their repair/replacement and the warranty for that is 60 months. My hinges weren't terrible but you could definitely tell when you get up close while cleaning.
Did the dealership get this addressed for you? Feel free to send us a PM if we can help with anything.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Sponsored