Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I've got 10k plus on my centerforce and I love it. My JL feels like my old 4.0 TJ. I can let out the clutch at just about any time without feeding in any throttle and I can get moving without stalling. Climb a curb? No problem. Reverse up a driveway with an incline? Just chugs right up. A very diesel-tractor feeling. It's rewarding and satisfying every time.

I would never go back to the loosey goosey guess-where-i'm-at stock clutch
Cool, but that was an upgrade and not a [needed] remedy. When/if my stock clutch ever needs replacement I’ll certainly consider centerforce (after they identify and solve the Chewbacca growl, which I’m sure they will - they have a great reputation).

My point was simply that one does not have to run out and drop big bucks because of this recall.
Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought here, I just regeared my Jeep from the 3.45 to 4.56s. I have 34s ish tires on my jeep and now it drives similar to how you describe but with the stock clutch. I essentially turned my first gear into a granny gear. I can let my clutch out in first without any gas/throttle. It takes off so much easier now. I can almost take off in 2nd but it does require a bit more slipping than I like so I just use my 1st gear to take off then shift into 2nd.

Anyway, just a thought but I wonder for those that hate the way the 6 speed drives, maybe a regear would be another option vs swapping the clutch out.
i did the same (4.56s) and the gear swap was the best mod, hands down.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just a thought here, I just regeared my Jeep from the 3.45 to 4.56s. I have 34s ish tires on my jeep and now it drives similar to how you describe but with the stock clutch. I essentially turned my first gear into a granny gear. I can let my clutch out in first without any gas/throttle. It takes off so much easier now. I can almost take off in 2nd but it does require a bit more slipping than I like so I just use my 1st gear to take off then shift into 2nd.

Anyway, just a thought but I wonder for those that hate the way the 6 speed drives, maybe a regear would be another option vs swapping the clutch out.
Maybe my stock clutch was just exceptionally bad. With my original 32s and 4.10 gears it was still near impossible to control. It grabbed the first disc which could stall you but wouldn't transfer any real power, then I had like an inch of travel before it would abruptly grab the second disc. It was either really excessive clutch slippage or rough jerky engagement. Irritated the heck out of me.

I am considering regearing to 5.13 gears. Not for driveability, but just because a six speed with super granny low is more fun than a 4 speed I have now

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe my stock clutch was just exceptionally bad. With my original 32s and 4.10 gears it was still near impossible to control. It grabbed the first disc which could stall you but wouldn't transfer any real power, then I had like an inch of travel before it would abruptly grab the second disc. It was either really excessive clutch slippage or rough jerky engagement. Irritated the heck out of me.

I am considering regearing to 5.13 gears. Not for driveability, but just because a six speed with super granny low is more fun than a 4 speed I have now
I agree about the low granny gear. Loving mine. As for what you were experiencing prior to your Centerforce, I don’t have that. I wonder if you did have a bad clutch or something? Mine actually shifts fine, especially now. The grab point is very short with the gears, almost an on off ordeal.

My 6th gear now is amazing. Between 50 to 70+ I guess, I can set cruise control and it’ll climb up and down hills and maintain that set speed with only a 1 mile change up or down. It’s awesome for cruising now. My RPMs are a tad higher so I’m sure it effected my gas but the ability to set cruise control in 6th and it holds, is amazing and soooo worth the regear. Before the regear I had to use 5th for flat and 4th if it was even remotely hilly. Lol.

It is good to hear about Centerforce though. Ive installed them on prior mustangs and enjoyed their clutches. If mine ever blows, I’d consider going that route but at the same time, mine seems to be working fine for me.

Last edited:

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I agree about the low granny gear. Loving mine. As for what you were experiencing prior to your Centerforce, I don’t have that. I wonder if you did have a bad clutch or something? Mine actually shifts fine, especially now. The grab point is very short with the gears, almost an on off ordeal.

My 6th gear now is amazing. Between 50 to 70+ I guess, I can set cruise control and it’ll climb up and down hills and maintain that set speed with only a 1 mile change up or down. It’s awesome for cruising now. My RPMs are a tad higher so I’m sure it effected my gas but the ability to set cruise control in 6th and it holds, is amazing and soooo worth the regear. Before the regear I had to use 5th for flat and 4th if it was even remotely hilly. Lol.

It is good to hear about Centerforce though. Ive installed them on prior mustangs and enjoyed their clutches. If mine ever blows, I’d consider going that route but at the same time, mine seems to be working fine for me.
I am curious (not in a negative way) as to the mpg and tire size on these aftermarket clutches.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am curious (not in a negative way) as to the mpg and tire size on these aftermarket clutches.
I'm on 37" k02s. I can pull 22-24 mpg at 55, though my best ever tank was about 17.5 mpg. Doing 80 on a road trip I average 13-14 mpg

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I've got 10k plus on my centerforce and I love it. My JL feels like my old 4.0 TJ. I can let out the clutch at just about any time without feeding in any throttle and I can get moving without stalling. Climb a curb? No problem. Reverse up a driveway with an incline? Just chugs right up. A very diesel-tractor feeling. It's rewarding and satisfying every time.

I would never go back to the loosey goosey guess-where-i'm-at stock clutch
Damn straight ;)

Ndn2e

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport
I had issues with either my dealer or with Jeep Cares themselves from this very forum. I had to have my clutch replaced for the same reason, never had an issue with my dealership and I've only chatted about this issue here when someone from Jeep Cares contacted me through here. So some big whig customer service guy contacts me, and I ask a few questions, no different than we ask questions here.

Well, a few weeks ago I asked a friend of mine that works at a dealership about this, because my replacement was done before the recall, I didn't know what else had to be done. He looked up my VIN and told me "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but you and your VIN came up as 'flagged.'" He asked if I had an argument with somebody or something, I told him no. He said "well that's not what they think... when someone is flagged that means they're a problem customer or something along those lines..." I'm legit baffled by this. I've never been rude with anyone from Jeep and idk if the "flag" came from the dealership or Jeep Cares. But I sure as hell don't trust the company now. I won't buy from that dealership again and won't buy another FCA product again.
I hate to hear that. My case manager from jeep has been nothing but amazing. I did finally get a call from the dealership today and they admitted to me it is way more damage than just the clutch which they wanted to quote me for. He wouldn’t go into specifics but he did say he hadn’t seen anything like it roll into their shop since there is holes through out it after the clutch exploded. I would like to give a shout out to the @JeepCares team in general and my case manager. Dealership just called me back and the new transmission has been ordered. While I may not agree with the way the dealership handled it at first Jeep has made it right.

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well just got the call I guess my clutch failed the test and there was some fluid leaking near the slave cylinder. Anybody who's had it done notice much of a difference in feel? Hopefully it won't take too long to get the Jeep back

singledaddio

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU, 1990 Dodge Dakota

$2k to regear,
I hate to hear that. My case manager from jeep has been nothing but amazing. I did finally get a call from the dealership today and they admitted to me it is way more damage than just the clutch which they wanted to quote me for. He wouldn’t go into specifics but he did say he hadn’t seen anything like it roll into their shop since there is holes through out it after the clutch exploded. I would like to give a shout out to the @JeepCares team in general and my case manager. Dealership just called me back and the new transmission has been ordered. While I may not agree with the way the dealership handled it at first Jeep has made it right.
I'm not sure who flagged me or why, I honestly can't recall a single instance where anything was unpleasant at all. My experience, from my perspective, is no different than what you guys' sound like. For whatever reason, I guess I was deemed a "problem." I have an issue with my back seat not folding down now and don't even want to take it in, just knowing how I'll be looked at. So I'll just deal with this seat not folding down as long as I own this thing. I won't lie, it bothers me because I really enjoy the Jeep lifestyle. Probably drive this thing a couple years then get a Bronco once the demand comes down a bit on those.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
So I didn't get a new clutch, miscommunication with the service advisor on the test. Hose leaked, got the sleeve and hose replaced. Bled clutch and did the clutch health test (4k rpm clutch drop in 4th) and it passed. Driving it now it definitely engages more predictably. Still a very soft clutch but it doesn't feel inconsistent in travel, has a slightly shorter and more linear engagement window

Mom2SNSH

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
So I took my 2018 in to the dealer for the clutch recall in JULY. Was told the parts would be ordered and they would call me when available. It's now NOVEMBER and I'm being told the parts are still showing as unavailable. A little fishy? :asshat:
Sponsored