Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Looks like you still need to have the recall done.
Sponsored

Cheveyboy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Thanks guys. Figured that was the case. Didn't want to look like an butt when I storm in the place and tell them how to do their job.

leftofJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Sport, 2018 JLU Sport-S
Mine (2018 JLU Sport S, 37s, 4.88 gears, 20k miles) has been at the dealer for a month now. Pressure plates have no eta. Mine originally passed the recall even though I told them it was slipping in 2-6. When they finally took it apart the plates were black and blue from heat. Glad it didn't self destruct.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine (2018 JLU Sport S, 37s, 4.88 gears, 20k miles) has been at the dealer for a month now. Pressure plates have no eta. Mine originally passed the recall even though I told them it was slipping in 2-6. When they finally took it apart the plates were black and blue from heat. Glad it didn't self destruct.
If we can help with anything, please let us know!

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Cheveyboy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So, what rattle can will match the factory frame rail paint the closest?

Seems like the tech couldn't be bothered with washing the brake fluid off when he/she replaced the clutch line...

Do these guys work on their own cars the same way? I had to go back and have them finish the recall, as they forgot to put the cover over the low pressure line, and remove the clip. At the same time they replaced the steering box, and tore up the drag link boot, and just left it ripped up. And now after washing the car, noticed that brake fluid ate threw the paint on the frame rail. At this point, can Jeep just pay me to do my own work? If someone is going to tear my brand new car up, it might as well be me.

Ndn2e

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport
Contacted my dealer about the recall and was supposed to take it in Thursday. Well the rattle trap didn't make it and the clutch blew on my way home from work. Had been out of town for work and was about 45 minutes from home. I have it towed to the nearest dealer and they told me i need a new clutch and it will be $2300. I asked about the recall and the known issue and they gave me a big run around since they can't do the dump test they have no way to see if its faulty unless they pull it all apar and that would be a charge. When i told them not to touch it for that price i got told that will be 129 for them to tell me that the clutch was gone. I pmed jeep cares to get involved. I refuse to pay for a known faulty recalled part when i had an appointment scheduled.So currently my jeep is held hostage at the dealer while i work this out. Anyone else have their clutch actually go out on here and issues from the dealer?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
So, what rattle can will match the factory frame rail paint the closest?

Seems like the tech couldn't be bothered with washing the brake fluid off when he/she replaced the clutch line...

Do these guys work on their own cars the same way? I had to go back and have them finish the recall, as they forgot to put the cover over the low pressure line, and remove the clip. At the same time they replaced the steering box, and tore up the drag link boot, and just left it ripped up. And now after washing the car, noticed that brake fluid ate threw the paint on the frame rail. At this point, can Jeep just pay me to do my own work? If someone is going to tear my brand new car up, it might as well be me.
These days if its not theirs they could give a rats a**! Sad!

Sponsored

singledaddio

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU, 1990 Dodge Dakota
Contacted my dealer about the recall and was supposed to take it in Thursday. Well the rattle trap didn't make it and the clutch blew on my way home from work. Had been out of town for work and was about 45 minutes from home. I have it towed to the nearest dealer and they told me i need a new clutch and it will be $2300. I asked about the recall and the known issue and they gave me a big run around since they can't do the dump test they have no way to see if its faulty unless they pull it all apar and that would be a charge. When i told them not to touch it for that price i got told that will be 129 for them to tell me that the clutch was gone. I pmed jeep cares to get involved. I refuse to pay for a known faulty recalled part when i had an appointment scheduled.So currently my jeep is held hostage at the dealer while i work this out. Anyone else have their clutch actually go out on here and issues from the dealer?
I had issues with either my dealer or with Jeep Cares themselves from this very forum. I had to have my clutch replaced for the same reason, never had an issue with my dealership and I've only chatted about this issue here when someone from Jeep Cares contacted me through here. So some big whig customer service guy contacts me, and I ask a few questions, no different than we ask questions here.

Well, a few weeks ago I asked a friend of mine that works at a dealership about this, because my replacement was done before the recall, I didn't know what else had to be done. He looked up my VIN and told me "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but you and your VIN came up as 'flagged.'" He asked if I had an argument with somebody or something, I told him no. He said "well that's not what they think... when someone is flagged that means they're a problem customer or something along those lines..." I'm legit baffled by this. I've never been rude with anyone from Jeep and idk if the "flag" came from the dealership or Jeep Cares. But I sure as hell don't trust the company now. I won't buy from that dealership again and won't buy another FCA product again.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Had this done today. Apologies, I didnā€™t read all 78 pages of this thread. I have just over 10k miles. Apparently they do a test where the rev it in 4th gear and dump the clutch to see if it stalls. If it does you donā€™t need a new clutch, just the sleeve. Thatā€™s what they did for mine.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
My opinion is that people are needlessly freaking out about this recall. This thread replaces the ā€œwelds are badā€ thread that peaked in 2019 and eventually died.

A very few unlucky people are affected by this. The ones who were affected before the recall have it the worst; i.e. the forum member whose Jeep went up in flames. The rest of us should just move on until the recall is ready.

Is your clutch slipping under load? If not, move on. Spending thousands on an aftermarket clutch before your stock one needs replacement is crazy.

I have over 30k miles on my 2018 and itā€™s a joy to drive. Iā€™m not losing sleep over this, but am checking this thread often to see when a fix is available. (I understand the ā€œfixā€ may be nothing more than an inspection or moving a wiring harness, and thatā€™s ok.)
I wish I could predict lottery numbers as well as I predicted the outcome of this thread... it died, and the guys who jumped to centerforce as a solution are now dealing with Chewbacca sounds.

Now that the hysteria has subsided, I went ahead and got this done. I dropped off at 9:00 and my Jeep was ready to pick up by 1:00. It passed the stall test, was bled, and the protective sleeve was installed.

33,000+ miles and still a joy to drive.

Now let's wait for the seatbelt campaign starting next month to begin so we can all haul our butts back to the dealerships... ugh.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I wish I could predict lottery numbers as well as I predicted the outcome of this thread... it died, and the guys who jumped to centerforce as a solution are now dealing with Chewbacca sounds.

Now that the hysteria has subsided, I went ahead and got this done. I dropped off at 9:00 and my Jeep was ready to pick up by 1:00. It passed the stall test, was bled, and the protective sleeve was installed.

33,000+ miles and still a joy to drive.

Now let's wait for the seatbelt campaign starting next month to begin so we can all haul our butts back to the dealerships... ugh.
I've got 10k plus on my centerforce and I love it. My JL feels like my old 4.0 TJ. I can let out the clutch at just about any time without feeding in any throttle and I can get moving without stalling. Climb a curb? No problem. Reverse up a driveway with an incline? Just chugs right up. A very diesel-tractor feeling. It's rewarding and satisfying every time.

I would never go back to the loosey goosey guess-where-i'm-at stock clutch

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought here, I just regeared my Jeep from the 3.45 to 4.56s. I have 34s ish tires on my jeep and now it drives similar to how you describe but with the stock clutch. I essentially turned my first gear into a granny gear. I can let my clutch out in first without any gas/throttle. It takes off so much easier now. I can almost take off in 2nd but it does require a bit more slipping than I like so I just use my 1st gear to take off then shift into 2nd.

Anyway, just a thought but I wonder for those that hate the way the 6 speed drives, maybe a regear would be another option vs swapping the clutch out.
Sponsored