Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm pretty sure my pilot bearing is going out at 12k miles. I thought it was a bad rocker arm (known issue with the 12-17 models) because it sounds exactly like a loud hemi tick. However it stops when I press the clutch. I think the dual mass flywheels might be causing the pilot bearings to fail.. who knows. Now I have to find a dealer who can provide a loaner vehicle because the jeep is my daily driver...

I've owned over a dozen vehicles in my life and more than half have been manual trans. I've run a few of those over 150k miles w/o issue so it's not my driving. And at 12k miles?? Definitely some defect.
It doesn't have a pilot bearing. Just fyi
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
so what would be causing the tick with the clutch released?? it's a gear rollover noise, it's loud.. throwout?

Last edited:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
so what would be causing the tick with the clutch released?? it's a gear rollover noise, it's loud.. throwout? dont leave me hanging.
Throwout would be a fair guess. Under pressure it may get quiet but noisy without load. Tough to say. This is the only transmission I've come across that didn't use a pilot bearing or bushing

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Didn't you upgrade to the centerforce clutch? how are you liking it so far?
I love it. I'm sure I'm slower then before, it's slow to rev and rev hang is worse, and fuel economy dropped, but it's fantastic to have the ability to climb a driveway or big curb from a stop without touching the gas pedal. You could actually run up the gears to about 30 in 6th without once touching the gas pedal. No bucking and surging trying to crawl slowly with the clutch out. Just a better, more communicative clutch all the way around.

I did it before the recall was announced and I'm sure I need to change that hose. I'm about to need to bleed it for the third time

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Additional rotating mass and drive line loss.. yep. I'll take the pluses over the minuses. Hopefully my factory clutch isn't ready to explode.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I did it before the recall was announced and I'm sure I need to change that hose. I'm about to need to bleed it for the third time
Hi, do you happen to have a documented bleeding procedure or?

Thanks!

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had to go in to the dealer so they could verify the VIN and maybe verify it was a manual. They had my Jeep for 40 minutes to then tell me they were ordering the part. I told them I gave them all the info so I didn't have to make two 1.5 hour roundtrips. They told me the parts we hard to get (we are talking about an adhesive lined tubing cover after all) and it would probably be about 2 weeks to receive the part.

I called them after two weeks and they told me the part was in and was told they were going to call me that same day. I made the earliest appointment and it took 45 minutes for them to install the sleeve, remove the plastic hose clamp and then bleed the system. I had no issues before the first visit with the clutch or transmission and haven't had any issues since.

I love the Jeep, but there is a reason I have done all my own service.
I've been regularly calling my dealership since the recall was announced. I regularly get email service notices stating I need to address this recall. EVERY time I call the dealership, they just tell me "we don't have the parts." WTF? This recall has dragged on for months, COVID or no they are still rolling Wranglers off the line.

My rig is in right now because of an E-Brake failure, we'll see if they make any moves on the clutch recall, I had them list it on the work order. I suspect it will be the same story.

For one of the largest Jeep Dealerships in the DC area, their service center sucks. They are sooo slooww, like they are all sniffing peanut butter in the back. I had my first couple oil changes done under Jeep Wave, but 2 hours for an oil change and rotation (only 4 of 5 tires every time when I asked for a 5-tire...) I installed a Fumoto valve and do it myself in a few minutes. Unless it's warranty work, won't go to the dealership for service.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi, do you happen to have a documented bleeding procedure or?

Thanks!
I couldn't bleed the dumb thing through the valve on the slave. Centerforce suggested bleeding through the reservoir and that's been working. Put my Mityvac on the reservoir with cap removed, pull 10" vacuum, and pump the clutch like 200 times

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just tested it and actually got to 31 mph without touching the skinny pedal :LOL:

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I've been regularly calling my dealership since the recall was announced. I regularly get email service notices stating I need to address this recall. EVERY time I call the dealership, they just tell me "we don't have the parts." WTF? This recall has dragged on for months, COVID or no they are still rolling Wranglers off the line.

My rig is in right now because of an E-Brake failure, we'll see if they make any moves on the clutch recall, I had them list it on the work order. I suspect it will be the same story.

For one of the largest Jeep Dealerships in the DC area, their service center sucks. They are sooo slooww, like they are all sniffing peanut butter in the back. I had my first couple oil changes done under Jeep Wave, but 2 hours for an oil change and rotation (only 4 of 5 tires every time when I asked for a 5-tire...) I installed a Fumoto valve and do it myself in a few minutes. Unless it's warranty work, won't go to the dealership for service.
I will not go to the dealer for service I can do based on all the various issues that have been reported on the forum. I can buy and change my oil in 30 minutes compared to the 45 minute drive one-way to the dealer. I also installed a Fumoto valve and it works great.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

If you still need help with the recall, please let us know. They should not be saying there are no parts.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you still need help with the recall, please let us know. They should not be saying there are no parts.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Thanks Kaitlin. Turns out the service department at Koons Jeep is "ethically challenged". Finally got my vehicle back after TWO DAYS for a repair that was all of 1.6 hours of labor, and their claims of "waiting for parts", they knocked out the "Clutch Recall" at the same time (allegedly). The only thing on the invoice was $0.17 for parts for the Clutch.

They ruined this customer's relationship for good. Now I have little to no faith they actually did the repair...

But they were "waiting for parts..." $0.17 worth of parts, that took all of 0.6 hours labor...

InstantAmmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Within 24hrs of posting here @JeepCares reached out to my dealer, and I had an appointment scheduled. A few days later, the recall was repaired - no inspection, no hassle, simply installed the replacement part.

Thank you!
Sponsored

Reactions: zyt