Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Like I can let the clutch out without touching the gas. There’s so much more feel to it now.
Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Holy smokes. It’s like a brand new clutch.

The feel is 10X better now.
Lucky, all they did was bleed and replace the line? That's what i was hoping for on Sat when i went to pick mine up.... But instead it is still their because the clutch is actually way worse "undrivable." Much like with the steering stabilizer recall, it actually made things worse for my vehicle. On week 5 without my Wrangler.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Lucky, all they did was bleed and replace the line? That's what i was hoping for on Sat when i went to pick mine up.... But instead it is still their because the clutch is actually way worse "undrivable." Much like with the steering stabilizer recall, it actually made things worse for my vehicle. On week 5 without my Wrangler.
Sorry, that stinks.

After reading all the horror stories on here, I was sweating til I got the phone call that I could pick up my Jeep.

Can’t imagine driving a Compass for 5 weeks!

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, that stinks.

After reading all the horror stories on here, I was sweating til I got the phone call that I could pick up my Jeep.

Can’t imagine driving a Compass for 5 weeks!
Luckily i got a loaded Cherokee with the V6 and Panoramic sunroof so it atleast isn't a downgrade haha

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Holy smokes. It’s like a brand new clutch.

The feel is 10X better now.
Mine felt this way too... for a few days. Now it’s like pushing in a dead pedal again. Very weird...

Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Mine felt this way too... for a few days. Now it’s like pushing in a dead pedal again. Very weird...
Thanks for letting me know.

There's got to be something to this if multiple people are noticing it?

I'll check back in a few days and share my experiences.

How many days did it seem to take? Was it gradual, or did it go back all of a sudden?

Hopefully the more mechanically inclined members here can help us figure this out???

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I can let the clutch out without touching the gas. There’s so much more feel to it now.

Finally got my Wrangler back today. The Clutch feels the exact same way it did when i took it it. Catches slightly higher then it did before and it is still making a creaking noise and feels like it is still sticky. Guess i'll drive it till it blows itself apart and the lease runs out. :headbang:

The work order says "Bled three times and than one more per FCA's new bleeding procedure." It then goes onto explain the rest of what they did. :facepalm:

Last edited:

brbutler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 6-speed, 2016 VW GTI 6-speed, 1984 Porsche 928S 5-speed
Why does the clutch and brakes share a system anyway? All my other manual cars had a designated reservoir for both clutch and booster.
Hmm, my experience is different. Every European manual I have owned that has a hydraulically actuated clutch shares the fluid with the braking system via a single reservoir - including my current other cars: a 2016 VW GTI and a 1984 Porsche 928.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, my experience is different. Every European manual I have owned that has a hydraulically actuated clutch shares the fluid with the braking system via a single reservoir - including my current other cars: a 2016 VW GTI and a 1984 Porsche 928.
Hmmm i had a 2016 GTI as well. I guess I never needed to look for it since i hadn't had any issues, that was a great car and i miss it. My other vehicles thoough (91,92 Dodge Stealths, 94 Wrangler) had separate reservoirs though.

Last edited:

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
Just dropped my Jeep off this morning for the remedy. Anxious to hear the results of the clutch test. I have not noticed any clutch smell when pulling out, reversing, or around town but I have noticed it some on long ascents. 2-3 times I have tried climbing a long steep but not insanely steep hill in 5th gear at 60mph (around 2k rpm) and about 2/3rds of the way up the hill. I have since been downshifting to 4th and climbing the hill around 2500rpm, same speed.

This is my first Jeep but not my first standard transmission. I drove Ford Rangers with the 4.0L and 5 speed manual for years. I seem to recall being to climb most any hill in Western PA in 5th gear as long as I was doing 55-60+. I didn't sense any lugging in the 3.6L as I was trying to climb some of the same hills in my Rubicon but I'm not as familiar with the powerband of the Pentastar engine. Is it typical to need to stay above 2k rpm climbing hills? May not be the right spot for this question. I'm a Jeep and a forum newb.
Hello, I just got my jeep (Willys, Manual, V-6) - finally delivered after ordering in February. One of the first things I noticed was how long the throw is on the clutch and how soft the throw is.

I've experienced the same as you mentioned, 5th and 6th gears are geared very high, meaning only useful on straight patches of highway - not for going up hill even on pavement.

While highway driving, there isn't much difference between 5th and 6th other than a few lower RPM;s and a bit better gas mileage. I'm often using 4th gear when in my other vehicle it could pull the same hill in 6th - and it was a 4 cylinder.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hello, I just got my jeep (Willys, Manual, V-6) - finally delivered after ordering in February. One of the first things I noticed was how long the throw is on the clutch and how soft the throw is.

I've experienced the same as you mentioned, 5th and 6th gears are geared very high, meaning only useful on straight patches of highway - not for going up hill even on pavement.

While highway driving, there isn't much difference between 5th and 6th other than a few lower RPM;s and a bit better gas mileage. I'm often using 4th gear when in my other vehicle it could pull the same hill in 6th - and it was a 4 cylinder.
That’s all normal.

6th is much more usable/needed with different gearing. e.g. Rubicon stock gearing

Keep RPM above 2500 when climbing and when power is needed.

If your clutch slips when you’re not touching the pedal, you smell burning clutch (that’s not due to you purposefully slipping it - e.g. riding clutch while reversing up a steep hill), or your clutch “chatters” on launch then you have the issue being addressed by this recall.

We all need to get this recall done, but given the parts shortage I’ll argue that those of us with no symptoms should hang fire to make room for the guys who know they need a fix.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
So, it’s been a week since I did the recall.

Clutch feel is still much improved, although I haven’t been driving much.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the new normal.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
What is the time frame of the replacement? My vehicle has been in the shop for 2 month and still no availability of parts. JeepCare here don’t care no reply no information. I called the corporate # and just get running around of bs.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the time frame of the replacement? My vehicle has been in the shop for 2 month and still no availability of parts. JeepCare here don’t care no reply no information. I called the corporate # and just get running around of bs.
Mine took 5 weeks total from drop off to pick up. It took way longer than it should have. It is literally a hose unless you need a full clutch replacement.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I need the full clutch replacement. Still way longer than it should have.
Sponsored