Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

SunnyBuck1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2017 Honda CRV
Have you guys had to argue to get loaners our is that kind of just part of the recall? I really don't want my daily driver taken from me and be left without a vehicle.
It depends on your dealer, mine has been really good about providing a loaner, last time it was a pumpkin-colored JL with only 300 mines on it. Automatic trans, 2.0. It was nice to drive it for a bit, even though I would not pick that color =)

With my dealer, when you schedule the service they ask if you need a loaner.
Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Clutch not fully bled, yes
I spoke to the service rep apparently there is no bleed process for this and they're on with Chrysler engineering trying to adjust the clutch cable. What a load of crap.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mine below is after my first visit to the dealer where they took pictures. Looks like they put a hose clamp on it as well.

IMG_1944.jpeg
Lol. That's not gonna help. If your gonna clamp it, at least go Oetiker style for even pressure

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Greetings all.

I haven't read all 66 pages of this thread but wanted to chime in and ask a question.

I took my JL in about 5 weeks ago and had them inspect everything. They said I do need a part and that the part is not yet available. This seems in line with what I am seeing here, but they also said that this issue is causing my Jeep to leak brake fluid. They topped it off and gave me a new bottle of fluid to add if I got low. After 5 weeks the fluid level is a little lower but not really by much.

I just called the dealership and got the same poor service response that I usually get there. I want to take it in to another dealership but I don't know if they would be able to order a part if it has already been ordered by the first dealership I went to.

What do you all suggest? Clutch engagement on my JL has always felt a little weird, but that's normal considering I drove a German VW with an excellent manual. for years before I got the Jeep and I am not sure I will ever completely get used to this manual. I am concerned about the clutch AND the fact that they said this issue is impacting my brake fluid.

Sponsored

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S
Greetings all.

I haven't read all 66 pages of this thread but wanted to chime in and ask a question.

I took my JL in about 5 weeks ago and had them inspect everything. They said I do need a part and that the part is not yet available. This seems in line with what I am seeing here, but they also said that this issue is causing my Jeep to leak brake fluid. They topped it off and gave me a new bottle of fluid to add if I got low. After 5 weeks the fluid level is a little lower but not really by much.

I just called the dealership and got the same poor service response that I usually get there. I want to take it in to another dealership but I don't know if they would be able to order a part if it has already been ordered by the first dealership I went to.

What do you all suggest? Clutch engagement on my JL has always felt a little weird, but that's normal considering I drove a German VW with an excellent manual. for years before I got the Jeep and I am not sure I will ever completely get used to this manual. I am concerned about the clutch AND the fact that they said this issue is impacting my brake fluid.
I would stick with the original dealer for the W12 part. You may call the FCA Recall Assistance number and see if they can apply pressure to the dealer for the part. The number is in a post earlier in the thread. I think the brake fluid issue is unrelated to the W12 recall.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I rang my local dealer today inquiring about my recall. He acknowledged that it was the “W12 recall” and stated we have to order parts and will call when they come in. I’m not certain what parts are needed for this as I was under the impression they were to inspect the systems functionality and go from there. I’ll post back when I move further in the process.
The clutch test has to be done first to determine what other parts are needed. If you'd like us to help schedule an appointment for the clutch test let us know in a PM.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
The clutch test has to be done first to determine what other parts are needed. If you'd like us to help schedule an appointment for the clutch test let us know in a PM.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
That was my impression as well so the Dealer can determine the problem. I appreciate the offer but I’ll wait to see what my Dealers next move is before I utilize Jeep Cares, thanks!

brbutler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 6-speed, 2016 VW GTI 6-speed, 1984 Porsche 928S 5-speed
I think the brake fluid issue is unrelated to the W12 recall.
The brakes and clutch use the same fluid from the same reservoir. The hose that is the subject of this recall draws the fluid from the reservoir to the clutch master cylinder, and is subject to damage from the clip to the wiring harness, with the possibility of leaking fluid or drawing air into the clutch subsystem. Inspection for leaks and/or bubbles (identified by bleeding the clutch, presumably) in the lines determines if the hose is damaged an needs to be replaced. If neither of those signs of damage are present, then the clip is removed and a protective sleeve is installed over that line, presumably to prevent subsequent damage. The sleeve is what is readily available. If the hose itself is deemed damaged, a new hose is required (which as I understand it, is what is causing delays due to lack of supply), and the clutch inspection (clutch dump) is also required. If you are unlucky enough to have that test fail, then a new clutch pack needs to be ordered, compounding the delay.

So, there are 3 scenarios, as I see it:

1. The hose is inspected and clutch is bled, and NO signs of leaks and/or bubbles are found - the clip is removed and the sleeve is installed, and you are on your way.

2. The hose is inspected and clutch is bled, and there ARE signs of leaks and/or bubbles are found - a new hose is required and ordered, and then installed without the clip and with the sleeve, and then the clutch is bled again, and then the clutch inspection (clutch dump) is performed and if it PASSES, you are on your way.

3. After #2 above is completed, but the clutch inspection (clutch dump) FAILS, a new clutch pack (disc, pressure plate, etc.) is required and ordered. Once finally installed, you are on your way.

Since it appears that Jeep dealers are only provided with the sleeve, and none of the other parts for the scenarios where the inspections and tests fail, you can see how this recall can drag out unless all is well. Sounds to me that there are more failures than Jeep expected, and they are being very tight with parts, or supplies are very limited due to the COVID situation.

I think it would be unwise to continue driving your Jeep if you fall into scenario 2 or 3 until the remedy is completed. However, I find it unacceptable that obtaining parts for any of these scenarios should take more than a few days.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
The brakes and clutch use the same fluid from the same reservoir. The hose that is the subject of this recall draws the fluid from the reservoir to the clutch master cylinder, and is subject to damage from the clip to the wiring harness, with the possibility of leaking fluid or drawing air into the clutch subsystem. Inspection for leaks and/or bubbles (identified by bleeding the clutch, presumably) in the lines determines if the hose is damaged an needs to be replaced. If neither of those signs of damage are present, then the clip is removed and a protective sleeve is installed over that line, presumably to prevent subsequent damage. The sleeve is what is readily available. If the hose itself is deemed damaged, a new hose is required (which as I understand it, is what is causing delays due to lack of supply), and the clutch inspection (clutch dump) is also required. If you are unlucky enough to have that test fail, then a new clutch pack needs to be ordered, compounding the delay.

So, there are 3 scenarios, as I see it:

1. The hose is inspected and clutch is bled, and NO signs of leaks and/or bubbles are found - the clip is removed and the sleeve is installed, and you are on your way.

2. The hose is inspected and clutch is bled, and there ARE signs of leaks and/or bubbles are found - a new hose is required and ordered, and then installed without the clip and with the sleeve, and then the clutch is bled again, and then the clutch inspection (clutch dump) is performed and if it PASSES, you are on your way.

3. After #2 above is completed, but the clutch inspection (clutch dump) FAILS, a new clutch pack (disc, pressure plate, etc.) is required and ordered. Once finally installed, you are on your way.

Since it appears that Jeep dealers are only provided with the sleeve, and none of the other parts for the scenarios where the inspections and tests fail, you can see how this recall can drag out unless all is well. Sounds to me that there are more failures than Jeep expected, and they are being very tight with parts, or supplies are very limited due to the COVID situation.

I think it would be unwise to continue driving your Jeep if you fall into scenario 2 or 3 until the remedy is completed. However, I find it unacceptable that obtaining parts for any of these scenarios should take more than a few days.

Yeah... This is my only vehicle so I can't really park it. Thanks for this excellent info.

As I said, it's been over 5 weeks since I had my JL inspected. I just called today and got the "We're waiting on FCA" line. I will look back through this thread and find the number to call. I don't appreciate having to wait for this.

The good news is that it's not losing a ton of fluid. It's been 5 weeks since they topped it off and I have driven a moderate amount. I just took this picture and you can see what has been lost:

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 1593121956125

It hasn't really lost much at all. and they gave me a whole bottle of fluid to add if it got low. I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see what FCA says when I call them.

Sponsored

LA Kimball

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Update on my JL. I took it to the dealer on Tuesday night so they had it first thing Wednesday morning. I called on Wednesday afternoon to check on the status but they said it was a really busy day with some big jobs so they had not gotten to it yet. I then got a voice mail late in the day Wednesday from the service advisor. He said that they had to take pictures and submit everthing to Star and get a part. Not sure who Star is? He then told me he would touch base with me on Thursday. Got a call on Thursday early afternoon that is was done and ready to be picked up. I tried to ask the service advisor what they had to do and he said they removed the strap and replaced the hose. Tested out good.

Picked it up later on Thursday and the paperwork said the following:

Recall perform W12. Parts are here.
166651WAR41
4318080AD Fluid-Brake
CSDLW123AA Trans-manual transmission
CSDLW123AA Trans-manual transmission
13462 recall
w12 Remove tie strap, install hose sleeve, 06-W1-21-83 0.6 hours
replace reservoir hose
bleed hydraulic clutch, perform clutch health test

The Jeep drove just as it did before I took it in so I am happy that it didn't change the feel of the clutch and my dealer had the parts.

EnduroJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport S - 6 Speed
No, the test should always be done since that determines which parts are ordered.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
My dealer would not do the test. Only replace the sleeve and reroute the cables. How do I fix this now that tehy called my case closed?

First Name
Brian-Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6SPEED
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share a response from FCA in Canada. I recently ordered the Centerforce clutch with new flywheel. The dual friction version. Someone on here posted that FCA reimbursed them for the part. Especially because FCA doesn’t even have an updated clutch in stock.

This is what I got back:

“We are sorry to hear of your concerns with the clutch installed in your vehicle. Your warranty does not cover any part not supplied by FCA Group LLC, nor does it cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the installation or use of non-FCA Group parts, components, materials or additives. The modification of vehicle equipment that conforms to product specifications to suit personal preference would be your responsibility. We must respectfully decline your request to cover the costs of replacing the clutch with an aftermarket part.

We note that the recall campaign W12 – Clutch is outstanding on your vehicle. Please contact your dealer to arrange completion of this service, at no charge to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered - we really do wish we could be of more assistance. While we regret that we cannot provide a more favourable reply, we appreciate the opportunity to review this matter with you.”

Just a big joke basically.

Furthermore, has anyone else experienced this? Go to start the Jeep, you hear the starter engage and stop suddenly. Start it again and nothing happens. YES, BOTH BATTERIES ARE FULLY charged. It would happen more and more and MORE. Finally I’m at home installing a dash cam and then it won’t start no matter what I did. Starter would go for half a second and suddenly stop.

I checked the fuse box, found loose fuses, relays, every single damn one I had to check and push down all the way. Then she starts, co-incidence?

My first Mopar product, I love the Jeep but I’m disappointed with so much. FCA, is terrible. Too many problems with a garage Queen Jeep that I don’t even beat on. Just a joke.

I hope you find this useful, and please let me know if anyone else experience the no start BS.

First Name
Brian-Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6SPEED
Hahaha....laugh is about all I can do at this point. Got a message telling me my jeep was ready, arrived at the dealer and shame on me, because I should have taken it right back and checked everything before I drove it off but I didn't.

Something went awry with the clutch and flywheel replacement, I can barely get it into first gear now, I have to slam it into gear and mash the clutch pedal down as hard as I can, also, they never placed the sleeve of the hose, SMH. Anyone have any ideas what can cause the hard shift into first? Air in the line?

I just dropped it back off 30 mins ago, I highly doubt ill get it back in time for my trip tomorrow.

@JeepCares (thank you) did try and help, got me in touch with the district manager who followed up with the dealer, you'd think with all the attention on my case they'd get it right but nope. To their credit they did replace the rear main seal which was leaking.
The rear main seal was leaking? How is that even possible? My god, this doesn’t make me feel good knowing that. I have a 2004 Forester XT with 260,000km’s CA
Yep, I’m guessing none of this is in the system, clutch kit sent by a “Bob”. It’s a huge mess, one kit was already “lost”, I was told all my parts were in yesterday but it turns out they weren’t after all and now they’re waiting for the clutch and flywheel with an “eta” of the 23rd.

I don’t know if any of this is true anymore but I am documenting every conversation with every party involved because if this isn’t done by the 23rd my council and I are mailing everything to FCA’s office of the president via certified mail and also contacting the owner of the franchise automotive group.

I’ve had enough.
I don’t blame you. I’ve had enough as well. I worked in the industry and have seen some bad business practice. Dealers have a bad reputation for a reason. I’m disgusted that my experience so far has been terrible. Especially the dealer, which here in Ontario Canada OMVIC should be shutting these guys down.

StoneFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr JL
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share a response from FCA in Canada. I recently ordered the Centerforce clutch with new flywheel. The dual friction version. Someone on here posted that FCA reimbursed them for the part. Especially because FCA doesn’t even have an updated clutch in stock.

This is what I got back:

“We are sorry to hear of your concerns with the clutch installed in your vehicle. Your warranty does not cover any part not supplied by FCA Group LLC, nor does it cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the installation or use of non-FCA Group parts, components, materials or additives. The modification of vehicle equipment that conforms to product specifications to suit personal preference would be your responsibility. We must respectfully decline your request to cover the costs of replacing the clutch with an aftermarket part.

We note that the recall campaign W12 – Clutch is outstanding on your vehicle. Please contact your dealer to arrange completion of this service, at no charge to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered - we really do wish we could be of more assistance. While we regret that we cannot provide a more favourable reply, we appreciate the opportunity to review this matter with you.”

Just a big joke basically.

I hope you find this useful, and please let me know if anyone else experience the no start BS.

I feel like its pretty standard in just about every industry to not be reimbursed for aftermarket parts and anyone who was is the exception not the norm.
Sponsored