Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I'm worried about...if its been slipping and causing damage, and premature wear, but bleeding the line "fixes" it....isn't your clutch still at risk? If mine were to fail the test, I think I'd want a replacement, if not at least extended coverage of the clutch
@AwCrimety I understand the concern, and I’m not minimizing that in any way.
But for me, I’m pretty comfortable with the clutch now and even before it went in for the recall. But much more so now.
They did some type of visual inspection looking at the actual disk (so they say), and my clutch never slipped except for the dump/stress test I did before taking it in for the recall. After the recall fix, it passed the dump/stress test at the dealer and again with me.
I think the chances of a catastrophic failure are very very low, and even if it wears out I’ll just replace it. Heck, I’ve repaced or had a shop replace multiple clutches in previous vehicles... it wasn’t a huge issue then and I’d be ok replacing the JLs if needed too.

I hope all goes well with your JL too.
Sponsored

Jerneycg

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Been lurking for a while now without posting. I’ve got a 19’ 2door sport with 8k miles on it. Within the last 1000 or so miles I’ve noticed a “clatter” for lack of a better word between shifts. Not if I drive it easy, not if I drive it hard, only when I’m shifting roughly 3k rpm. Anyway, brought it in to the dealer on Wednesday the 10th. They were gonna let me know on Thursday what was up. Never called me. I call 30 minutes before they close and I was told that it failed the inspection and waiting on the parts. They were supposed to call on Friday. They never did. I called Monday and still waiting on parts, should be in by midweek. Called today, no parts, and I asked what exactly they ordered that way I have a better idea what timeframe I’m looking at. I’m assuming if the flywheel and clutch are ordered it’s gonna be a while. They said clutch, pressure plate, etc., hose to the master cylinder was indeed leaking. But, they were going to release it to me and were going to call me to bring it in when the parts came in. I decided just to leave it. So, it’s been a week now. Weather has been kinda cool here in jersey so I probably wouldn’t put the top down anyway.

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Been lurking for a while now without posting. I’ve got a 19’ 2door sport with 8k miles on it. Within the last 1000 or so miles I’ve noticed a “clatter” for lack of a better word between shifts. Not if I drive it easy, not if I drive it hard, only when I’m shifting roughly 3k rpm. Anyway, brought it in to the dealer on Wednesday the 10th. They were gonna let me know on Thursday what was up. Never called me. I call 30 minutes before they close and I was told that it failed the inspection and waiting on the parts. They were supposed to call on Friday. They never did. I called Monday and still waiting on parts, should be in by midweek. Called today, no parts, and I asked what exactly they ordered that way I have a better idea what timeframe I’m looking at. I’m assuming if the flywheel and clutch are ordered it’s gonna be a while. They said clutch, pressure plate, etc., hose to the master cylinder was indeed leaking. But, they were going to release it to me and were going to call me to bring it in when the parts came in. I decided just to leave it. So, it’s been a week now. Weather has been kinda cool here in jersey so I probably wouldn’t put the top down anyway.
Interesting, I've had the same noise since I've had the recall repair done. Mine was just hose, clip. I'm assuming they bled the cylinder but I'm not sure because the dealership is vague on what they did. They just say performed W12 notice but, I digress. Shifting between 2nd and 3rd i get a clatter or Klunk and it seems like it does not shift smoothley. I think it's gonna be another trip to dealer. Maybe a different one this time.

Jerneycg

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Interesting, I've had the same noise since I've had the recall repair done. Mine was just hose, clip. I'm assuming they bled the cylinder but I'm not sure because the dealership is vague on what they did. They just say performed W12 notice but, I digress. Shifting between 2nd and 3rd i get a clatter or Klunk and it seems like it does not shift smoothley. I think it's gonna be another trip to dealer. Maybe a different one this time.
Yeah, waiting game for me until I get it back. The clatter happens from 1-2, 2-3 shifts primarily. I’ve had transmission mounts go bad and it kinda has that sound to it.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Absolutely absurd, I was told the parts were in and to drop off my Jeep. Dropped it off and got a call 20 mins later, guess what....parts aren't in afterall.

How incompetent can you be?

Parts are "supposed" to be here on the 23rd, yeah two days before I have a road trip scheduled.

@JeepCares gave up on helping a couple weeks ago.

Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
i'm still waiting to even be scheduled to come in.

i called the dealership, they said they'd put me on a call list when they got the parts in.

JeepCares asked if they could help, so i said, "sure."

they contacted the dealership. dealership said they didn't have parts.

JeepCares told me they got me on the call list.

i mean, i appreciate the effort, but... here we are.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Absolutely absurd, I was told the parts were in and to drop off my Jeep. Dropped it off and got a call 20 mins later, guess what....parts aren't in afterall.

How incompetent can you be?

Parts are "supposed" to be here on the 23rd, yeah two days before I have a road trip scheduled.

@JeepCares gave up on helping a couple weeks ago.
Your part was ordered on the 10th. It should have arrived by now.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
i'm still waiting to even be scheduled to come in.

i called the dealership, they said they'd put me on a call list when they got the parts in.

JeepCares asked if they could help, so i said, "sure."

they contacted the dealership. dealership said they didn't have parts.

JeepCares told me they got me on the call list.

i mean, i appreciate the effort, but... here we are.
That's not what should have happened. The clutch test has to be completed first before parts are ordered. Can you follow up with a PM?

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

EnduroJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport S - 6 Speed
I dropped my truck off 2 days ago for the repair and it was done in 45 minutes.

When I asked the service tech about the clutch test results he said they don't do that test unless the slave cylinder is leaking. No leak = just replace the sleeve.

I'd really like the test done because this JL has the oddest clutch engagement i've ever driven. I'd do it myself, but I've got a bad hip right now and my wife isn't comfortable with the test.

Are all trucks that come in supposed to get the 4th gear 4k rpm test done?

Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I dropped my truck off 2 days ago for the repair and it was done in 45 minutes.

When I asked the service tech about the clutch test results he said they don't do that test unless the slave cylinder is leaking. No leak = just replace the sleeve.

I'd really like the test done because this JL has the oddest clutch engagement i've ever driven. I'd do it myself, but I've got a bad hip right now and my wife isn't comfortable with the test.

Are all trucks that come in supposed to get the 4th gear 4k rpm test done?
That is a great question.

I would advise against doing it yourself. What happens if you fry the clutch?

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Your part was ordered on the 10th. It should have arrived by now.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Nope, not in, I need an entire clutch replacement which I explained and to which you responded that you couldn't speak to what the dealer told you vs. me. since they told you that I needed a hose vs. the clutch.

To me, this response meant that you were done helping since it was clearly a discrepancy with the background I gave you.

SunnyBuck1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2017 Honda CRV
When I took it in a month or so ago when I was first notified about the recall service, the tech at the dealership said they didn't have the parts and that they would call me when they came in. That never happened!

I just scheduled the service in the hopes that they had received the parts. As it turns out, they have to do an inspection on the first visit, then send pictures to FCA to verify the problem, wait for FCA to approve the parts, ship them and then call me back to schedule, etc. This according to the tech.

The tech also told me that they have had some customers that required several trips for pictures, parts, rinse repeat. Not sure why FCA doesn't just send the required parts to the dealer in the first place. Very inconvenient to go in just for a picture and then wait for FCA to approve the parts shipment.

Maybe I am missing something, but this doesn't seem very customer friendly.

@JeepCares Why require multiple trips to fix this? My tech said that the hose was leaking and they sent the pictures. Why not just send the hose in advance?

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S
When I took it in a month or so ago when I was first notified about the recall service, the tech at the dealership said they didn't have the parts and that they would call me when they came in. That never happened!

I just scheduled the service in the hopes that they had received the parts. As it turns out, they have to do an inspection on the first visit, then send pictures to FCA to verify the problem, wait for FCA to approve the parts, ship them and then call me back to schedule, etc. This according to the tech.

The tech also told me that they have had some customers that required several trips for pictures, parts, rinse repeat. Not sure why FCA doesn't just send the required parts to the dealer in the first place. Very inconvenient to go in just for a picture and then wait for FCA to approve the parts shipment.

Maybe I am missing something, but this doesn't seem very customer friendly.

@JeepCares Why require multiple trips to fix this? My tech said that the hose was leaking and they sent the pictures. Why not just send the hose in advance?

This sounds similar to the B.S. I have been dealing with. The first attempt to get parts was canceled from some reason. Never given the reason...

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This sounds similar to the B.S. I have been dealing with. The first attempt to get parts was canceled from some reason. Never given the reason...
At least they didn't mark in FCA's system that your recall was completed when parts weren't even shipped yet.

Crazy.
Sponsored