Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Not a very good chance on them agreeing to lemon law a recall.
They don't have to agree to anything, that's not how laws work.

You go through the lemon law procedure and if it meets the conditions (most have a number of days out of service provision) and the law takes it from there.

For example, in Colorado it's "when the vehicle is out of service for repairs for a cumulative total of thirty (30) or more business days during the warranty term or one year after original delivery, whichever comes first."

Granted, it may cost you money for a lemon law lawyer, but IMHO it beats the hassle of being without your vehicle for months, especially as dealers aren't held responsible for damage and your car is just baking on their lot outside 24x7 in whatever severe weather the summer season serves up, triple digit temperatures, etc.

Why accept that?
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

You go through the lemon law procedure and if it meets the conditions (most have a number of days out of service provision) and the law takes it from there.

For example, in Colorado it's "when the vehicle is out of service for repairs for a cumulative total of thirty (30) or more business days during the warranty term or one year after original delivery, whichever comes first."

Granted, it may cost you money for a lemon law lawyer, but IMHO it beats the hassle of being without your vehicle for months, especially as dealers aren't held responsible for damage and your car is just baking on their lot outside 24x7 in whatever severe weather the summer season serves up, triple digit temperatures, etc.

Why accept that?
Did you see my post earlier from a lemon law attorney saying vehicles under recall are hard to get lemoned?

StoneFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr JL
It's time to lemon law it, it qualifies and there's no excuse as FCA could have all the parts they want (especially now when they haven't been making new ones for a while.)

The same should be done for anyone whose car has been down over the limit mandated by your local laws.
but if you lemon law it then wont you still be out a jeep?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

Why accept that?
As someone who has been through a lemon law dispute and buyback process with FCA I can tell you it's not (even remotely) that simple. Like all laws, they only mean anything when enforced and it can be quite a time consuming and long drawn-out process to accomplish that. I get it for a vehicle with chronic problems or repeated failed-repair attempts (as was my case), but going through that process just for a backordered part is probably not desirable.

In my case it was 5 months from when I sent the demand letter until FCA reacquired my vehicle (which was unable to be repaired throughout that period).

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who has been through a lemon law dispute and buyback process with FCA I can tell you it's not (even remotely) that simple. Like all laws, they only mean anything when enforced and it can be quite a time consuming and long drawn-out process to accomplish that. I get it for a vehicle with chronic problems or repeated failed-repair attempts (as was my case), but going through that process just for a backordered part is probably not desirable.

In my case it was 5 months from when I sent the demand letter until FCA reacquired my vehicle (which was unable to be repaired throughout that period).
Plus with 30,000 possible impacted vehicles FCA would really fight it so they don't have to replace all of them.
Doesn't matter what a law says but how a judge interprets it. And the judge above him. Otherwise all decisions would be unanimous.

Sponsored

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
Occupation
Re-Tired
It's time to lemon law it, it qualifies and there's no excuse as FCA could have all the parts they want (especially now when they haven't been making new ones for a while.)

The same should be done for anyone whose car has been down over the limit mandated by your local laws.
Right now I would take a straight trade for the Automatic. I'm driving a RAM Truck as a loaner with the 8spd. It can't make up it's mind which gear to choose, with the hills and short Hwy On Ramps we have here, but at least I can drive it, and it does't have a dual mass flywheel.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
Occupation
Re-Tired
For all that are waiting for parts and delayed, are you in a loaner or rental?

Taking mine in tomorrow. I did the clutch dump in my driveway twice, once before driving and again after getting home. When cold it stalled but after driving for a while and then dumping and sputtered for a while before stalling. So toss up as to what the dealer will do. Haven’t even hit 3k miles.
They gave me a Penis Extention ... on the company Dime.
2020 5.7ltr 4X4 Bighorn RAM
I can't even say that without doing a Pelvic Thrust :turkey:

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
Well just picked mine up from the dealer for the full clutch replacement about 2 hours ago. Night and day difference from the original clutch, I did notice that it i pulls much closer to the floor and definitely needs some break in use. Reverse to 1st and vice versa was quite stiff but seems to improve with use. I can drive it normally again which is nice, no screaming 6000 rpm up hills Anymore . Going to try and hit some basic off road this weekend.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Well just picked mine up from the dealer for the full clutch replacement about 2 hours ago. Night and day difference from the original clutch, I did notice that it i pulls much closer to the floor and definitely needs some break in use. Reverse to 1st and vice versa was quite stiff but seems to improve with use. I can drive it normally again which is nice, no screaming 6000 rpm up hills Anymore . Going to try and hit some basic off road this weekend.

I'm hoping that's my experience too, it always felt odd having to floor it and never going anywhere when trying to pass someone.

Sponsored

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
I'm hoping that's my experience too, it always felt odd having to floor it and never going anywhere when trying to pass someone.
See I always felt like something was “off” but I chalked it up to It making 1/3 the hp my truck does. I had the original dealer look at it when it went for the stabilizer recall, they told me “that’s just how jeeps are”. Right. It slowly got worse but I re geared it to 4:56 when I moved to the mountains, that seemed to help but eventually the hills caught up to it. Hopefully this is the last it’s in the shop

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I also got mine today, no clutch replacement just new sleeve and they bled the system. Night and day difference. Grab point is consistent out of 1st gear, no thud between 1st and 2nd, and grab is so much smoother. I suspect that there was flywheel disengagement issues for mine. But with only 3k miles the clutch and flywheel/pressure plate wasn’t beat too bad.

The one question I have is now that this recall has been done, what happens 15-20k miles downwhen the clutch explodes - did I lose my rights to claim as damage?

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Also should add that I picked up my Jeep and there was 39 and 40 PSI in the tires, had them all at 35 when I took it in.

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
Also should add that I picked up my Jeep and there was 39 and 40 PSI in the tires, had them all at 35 when I took it in.
Mine were at 32 cold when I took it in, all at 36 when I got it back too. (35” e rated bfg’s). We just can’t have nice things.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Well im about to leave for the dealer, they reported the recall complete to FCA but I have no new clutch and no sleeve, nothing has been done. Time to involve my legal counsel.
Yea, we lawyers always resolve everything....for a price! You're wasting your money. Resolve this with the dealer and FCA because ultimately you will resolve it with them after a dragged out situation and money that could be used for new upgrades. Just a thought, good luck.
Sponsored