Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
Occupation
Re-Tired
Question...
Nobody has mentioned problems with the Dual Mass Flywheel.

My wife's 2010 Nissan Cube (6spd Manual) has just had her clutch replaced at 80K Kms (50Kmls). They replaced the Dual Mass Flywheel saying it had also failed.

Could a bad Dual Mass Flywheel on our JL's have an impact on this problem?
Sponsored

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
Question...
Nobody has mentioned problems with the Dual Mass Flywheel.

My wife's 2010 Nissan Cube (6spd Manual) has just had her clutch replaced at 80K Kms (50Kmls). They replaced the Dual Mass Flywheel saying it had also failed.

Could a bad Dual Mass Flywheel on our JL's have an impact on this problem?
Dual mass is trash. It’s used to make a nice soft pedal with easy engagement and simply can’t handle the heat/stress. Had a gmc duramax dump truck with a manual trans and dual mass. We called it the milk shake machine bc it vibrated so bad. GMC kept denying it until there was a recall years after, going so far as to say that the dual mass flywheel can hold more power. I think he had his duals mixed up. Put a valair in it with a tuner and that 10k # truck would boil the hides off. Got a lot of funny looks and thumbs up

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
So as an update to my posts earlier this week, if you’re having issues, call the FCA recall help number on your letter. They can search dealers with the parts and schedule your service.
I took mine in yesterday and we all got a kick out of the “clutch test” out back. It failed miserably. I did have to come back this morning as they didn’t have a rental car then, I now have a compass (d’oh!) rental and they expected my clutch/flywheel to be in today as well as the repairs complete next week. Good dealer makes all the difference, however, had it not been for a recall id have an aftermarket in it already. Just my 2 cents

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
So as an update to my posts earlier this week, if you’re having issues, call the FCA recall help number on your letter. They can search dealers with the parts and schedule your service.
I took mine in yesterday and we all got a kick out of the “clutch test” out back. It failed miserably. I did have to come back this morning as they didn’t have a rental car then, I now have a compass (d’oh!) rental and they expected my clutch/flywheel to be in today as well as the repairs complete next week. Good dealer makes all the difference, however, had it not been for a recall id have an aftermarket in it already. Just my 2 cents
remind me again on the clutch test, 4th gear and dump it?

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
remind me again on the clutch test, 4th gear and dump it?
As I read it somewhere else, 4th gear, 4K, let er rip. In all honesty it’s an extremely old school test that my dad taught me when we’d look at used dirt bikes etc. the idea is to use the 1:1 gear and a junk clutch slips, a good one will obviously stall immediately. If you think yours is suspect, do it there at the dealer bc it took the last bit of friction off of mine and basically rendered it useless.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
As I read it somewhere else, 4th gear, 4K, let er rip. In all honesty it’s an extremely old school test that my dad taught me when we’d look at used dirt bikes etc. the idea is to use the 1:1 gear and a junk clutch slips, a good one will obviously stall immediately. If you think yours is suspect, do it there at the dealer bc it took the last bit of friction off of mine and basically rendered it useless.
Yeah same, mine is slipping pretty badly now.

TeleJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6sp M
Update: My 2018 JLU Sahara 6sp (23k miles) in for the W12 recall, is now back on the road after waiting 2-weeks plus at the dealer. the needed part (low pressure reservoir hose) arrived and the techs got right on it today. The clutch works well and passed the tests. The friction point feels the same if not a slight bit sooner and shifts/drives the same as before. I hope this is a long-term fix for the potential catastrophic problem called out in the recall.

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
I’m interested in feedback of those who had a new clutch and flywheel put in. Is the jerky sensation still there at low rpm/parking lot?
im just in it for the free clutch they’ll give me. If it works, great, if not, centerforce or south bend

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I honestly don't know, the service advisor said the wiring was moved, and according to the work order, it just says "removed tie strap". Attaching a picture of the work order.

IMG_20200602_114246.jpg
Thanks man!

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
My jeep is in today, I did my own 4th gear drop and it tried to drive then slowly died. IMO it failed the test, so lets see what the dealer has to say.... I will be back
I for one am truly interested if the dealer comes back with the same result as you did, this could get interesting:)

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I thought they had to completely replace the hose and also put the cover on it?
my hose is extremely dirty (as in the stock one)

8F2F7E65-75E3-47D7-A63D-3E4CD4F4627E.jpeg

Nichro722

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 2dr / 6spd
I thought they had to completely replace the hose and also put the cover on it?
my hose is extremely dirty (as in the stock one)

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 8F2F7E65-75E3-47D7-A63D-3E4CD4F4627E
They dont replace the hose if it isn’t worn or damaged.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
If I didn't need a clutch replacement I'd wrap it in heat shield tape and call it a day this recall is absurd.
Sponsored