Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My clutch has been slipping a bit lately and I'm at dealer now for recall check. It's the first jl that has failed their clutch test...Getting a new clutch!:rock: Downside is it's gonna take a few weeks...but they're ordering a loaner car.
Based on your profile pic it looks like you dont have stock tires. What size you running and did they give you any issues about your tires?
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Are you going to explore an option of an aftermarket clutch or take a (new) factory?
I talked with the service manager about that...he thought they could only install FCA parts if I want parts paid for by FCA and a 5k mile full clutch warranty. He didn't think FCA would cover part cost of a centerforce bc a OEM solution is available. IMHO, it's not worth paying $1100-1200 for an aftermarket clutch plus not having a warranty. I only drive about 3k miles per year in the jeep...so the warranty will be good for a bit.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Based on your profile pic it looks like you dont have stock tires. What size you running and did they give you any issues about your tires?
Running 37s and no issues. @Sting_NC_USA is running 40s and also had no issues at a different dealer...he just had his clutch replaced bc of the recall.

Last edited:

TeleJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6sp M
Any word on availability to the dealers of the Lower Pressure Reservoir Hose or even an estimate as when repair parts will be in the system? My dealer took mine apart to install the sleeve, reconnected the hose and it leaked. They have it in limbo waiting for another Reservoir Hose and I've been without my Wrangler for 8 days while parts are pending. At the beginning, they offered a loaner vehicle, but I declined since I though it might be a 1 or 2 day job and I had access to another vehicle. I may reconsider and ask for a loaner vehicle. Anyone out there hear when these parts will start shipping? Sit tight a few days? Weeks? Months? The dealer isn't getting any information and I'm sure they'd let me know, they've been excellent in the 20+ years I've been a customer.

Sponsored

TeleJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6sp M
I also wonder if the couplings on that Low Pressure Reservoir Hose were designed to be "one-shot" and not detached and reattached. Couldn't FCA have the dealers use generic reinforced bulk hose and a couple of tiny hose clamps?

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I also wonder if the couplings on that Low Pressure Reservoir Hose were designed to be "one-shot" and not detached and reattached. Couldn't FCA have the dealers use generic reinforced bulk hose and a couple of tiny hose clamps?
Interesting thing is...service manager said they were able to reconnect the hose without leaking which was the first time that has happened...typically they leak when reconnecting it and have to order another one.

When they revved my jeep up to 4000rpm in 4th and dropped the clutch, he said it slipped alot and didn't stall for a few seconds. Clutch was definitely going out..

Last edited:

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Took the Jeep to the dealer today. Like I had said previously I knew there was nothing wrong my clutch. I also posted a picture showing that mine did not come with the bracket around the hose.
After about 20 minutes the Service manager drives the Jeep back and said: it passed the inspection. Nothing wrong with it, Still we removed the bracket and installed the hose sleeve.:giggle: Whatever.
oh, and that sleeve is just a joke. Why would a company bother with that crappie thing?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would like to preface this comment by explaining how much the family and I are enjoying the new Wrangler. I have driven Her more in 12 Months then all of my other vehicles combined (minus the work truck). That being said, I have felt that the clutch on my JLUS has been subpar ever since i picked Her up from the dealer (way better shifting transmission then the JKU - IMO). Maybe I am just inexperienced but my other Manuel vehicle seem much smoother to shift in and out of gears. Maybe it the difference is the weight of the Jeep or the higher reeving of the motor? I'm not sure. Any way, I took the Jeep in for this recall and was hoping that something was off on Her. The Dealer had Her for two days and then told me that everything checked out "Satisfactory". Then proceeded to explain that the only reason it took so long, was that I was the first person to get this recall checked at this dealer (which made me a bit uneasy).

Does anyone else share this opinion or am I on a island? Either way, I still enjoy driving her.
Too bad you are so far. Since the introduction of the JL some people have complained about the clutch not feeling right. It would be good to drive another one to compare. Mine has felt great from day one. If you drive by Illinois, let me know :giggle: You can drive mine.

Maischjr

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, Saab
Too bad you are so far. Since the introduction of the JL some people have complained about the clutch not feeling right. It would be good to drive another one to compare. Mine has felt great from day one. If you drive by Illinois, let me know :giggle: You can drive mine.
The clutch has never slipped, it's more of a lack of resistance feeling when depressing the pedal / engaging the clutch (but then again I have never drove a new manual vehicle). It could just be my driving habit. I tend to shift more like a sport car and less like a truck. Leisurely drives are overrated!

Sponsored

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
The clutch has never slipped, it's more of a lack of resistance feeling when depressing the pedal / engaging the clutch (but then again I have never drove a new manual vehicle). It could just be my driving habit. I tend to shift more like a sport car and less like a truck. Leisurely drives are overrated!
Coming from pretty much any other manual trans vehicle, especially sports cars, the pedal feel on the JL will likely feel a lot lighter that what you are used to. I've been driving manual vehicles for nearly 30 years now, from pickups to Corvettes, including Wrangler TJ and JK along the way...and the JL is by far the lightest resistance clutch/pedal I've ever experienced.

Maischjr

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, Saab
Coming from pretty much any other manual trans vehicle, especially sports cars, the pedal feel on the JL will likely feel a lot lighter that what you are used to. I've been driving manual vehicles for nearly 30 years now, from pickups to Corvettes, including Wrangler TJ and JK along the way...and the JL is by far the lightest resistance clutch/pedal I've ever experienced.
Thanks, I feel better knowing that it's not just me.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
They aren't spinning it. They are reving and dumping the clutch. If it stalls immediately, should be minimal/no impact to clutch. If it doesn't stall immediately and slips instead, they are supposed to replace it.

I don't love it and am concerned about the stress in other components, but not the clutch itself.
Finally someone with some common sense. If you guys think dumping the clutch a single time at 4 Grand is going to hurt anything I don't really know what to tell you. I used to do that daily with my Ford top-loader and I'm pretty sure that clutch went 120k. You guys crack me up. That's actually a pretty solid test procedure to see if a clutch had any slip to it. If it does you get a new one.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would argue that being a sports car or SUV have nothing to do with clutch performance or feeling.
Of the cars I have owned here is my ranking:
Worst ever clutch, hard as a rock,1998 Chevy K2500 Diesel
Softest, lightest clutch 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser (Had a vacuum servo booster just like the brakes for the clutch)
Best feeling clutch ever VW GTI 2010
Ok clutch 2002 BMW M3
Unremarkable and easy clutch 2018 Jeep Rubi JL

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Still waiting on FCA to send out a replacement kit for the defective REPLACEMENT clutch kit they sent out the first go around and now I feel my clutch slipping more and more. I feel bad for my dealer guys, they're doing their best but they can't install parts that they don't have.
Sponsored