Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

RNAV

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
That's also what my dealer said

My dealer also ordered parts and said nothing about testing. It's concerning taking my jeep to a dealer considering how uninformed they seem to be with this recall.

How has the demand for the hose part far exceeded what was expected? The recall states every 6 speed JL needs a protective sleeve...If 30,000 6 speeds are under recall, shouldn't FCA plan on procuring 30,000 sleeves?
Have you read the published remedy procedures? The hose, and the protective sleeve, are two different things.

2. Inspect the low pressure reservoir hose. If any leaks, deformation, or wear is found replace the reservoir hose (Figure 1).
NOTE: Place shop towels to protect paint surface and components from fluid spill,
wipe away fluid from components and surface immediately.
3. Install the protective sleeve on the low pressure reservoir hose, making sure it is installed close to the clutch master cylinder inlet tube (Figure 2).

ALL vehicles need the protective sleeve (step 3). NOT all vehicles will need the low pressure reservoir hose.

JeepCares stated the demand for the hose -- not the sleeve -- has exceeded expectations.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Have you read the published remedy procedures? The hose, and the protective sleeve, are two different things.

2. Inspect the low pressure reservoir hose. If any leaks, deformation, or wear is found replace the reservoir hose (Figure 1).
NOTE: Place shop towels to protect paint surface and components from fluid spill,
wipe away fluid from components and surface immediately.
3. Install the protective sleeve on the low pressure reservoir hose, making sure it is installed close to the clutch master cylinder inlet tube (Figure 2).

ALL vehicles need the protective sleeve (step 3). NOT all vehicles will need the low pressure reservoir hose.

JeepCares stated the demand for the hose -- not the sleeve -- has exceeded expectations.
I dont understand why jeep cares says dealers should be doing the clutch test first to assess and then ordering parts as needed. However, when many folks call their dealer, they are ordering more than 1 part before assessing and telling us to wait a few weeks for the parts to come in stock.

RNAV

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I dont understand why jeep cares says dealers should be doing the clutch test first to assess and then ordering parts as needed. However, when many folks call their dealer, they are ordering more than 1 part before assessing and telling us to wait a few weeks for the parts to come in stock.
Yeah, I'm not tracking that either. The service procedure says bleed clutch master cylinder first. If bubbles are seen during the bleeding process, then -- and only then -- proceed to the clutch health check.

I think what JeepCares was getting at is that some dealers may be ordering parts for their customers prior to inspecting the vehicle, resulting in parts demand that exceeds what is really required (i.e. not ALL vehicles will need the hydraulic hose or the replacement clutch kit).

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Kaitlin,

Your help and communication is deeply appreciated!

Would you be able to tell us when the parts begin to become more available? My Jeep exhibits no symptoms and never has, so I am not planning on giving it up until I know the turnaround can be made in a couple of days. I'm not enthused about not having it when Jeep weather is just beginning to arrive. However, when the parts are available, I will make the appointment with my dealer. They are good about turning things around quickly, if the parts are there.

Thanks!
We don't have an ETA but we are working diligently to get the parts in. Once there is an update, I will make sure to share it on this thread.

That's also what my dealer said

My dealer also ordered parts and said nothing about testing. It's concerning taking my jeep to a dealer considering how uninformed they seem to be with this recall.

How has the demand for the hose part far exceeded what was expected? The recall states every 6 speed JL needs a protective sleeve...If 30,000 6 speeds are under recall, shouldn't FCA plan on procuring 30,000 sleeves?
The sleeve isn't causing the concerns, but the hose.

Yeah, I'm not tracking that either. The service procedure says bleed clutch master cylinder first. If bubbles are seen during the bleeding process, then -- and only then -- proceed to the clutch health check.

I think what JeepCares was getting at is that some dealers may be ordering parts for their customers prior to inspecting the vehicle, resulting in parts demand that exceeds what is really required (i.e. not ALL vehicles will need the hydraulic hose or the replacement clutch kit).
Exactly, RNAV. Currently the hose is where the demand is, as you can tell by other member's comments

Once there is an update, I will make sure to share

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just had mine done. No issues, bubbles, or leaks, as expected. They removed the clip, and added the sleeve. Done in under 45 minutes.
Clutch feels exactly the same as before.
Good deal.

Sponsored

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Again, can someone explain why we need a sleeve, if we're having the clip removed in the first place ?
I can walk out to my Jeep right now, remove the clip, see that there is no wear or bubbles and continue to drive the Jeep until this backorder is cleared up and my dealer tells me they have parts.

It's CRAZY to me that some of you (without problems driving) are taking your Jeeps to the dealer and waiting 20 days to get it back. Then you'll come on here and bitch that the dealer is an idiot and Jeep sucks.

SGT4774

First Name
TA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR - Sting Gray (6 speed)
Again, can someone explain why we need a sleeve, if we're having the clip removed in the first place ?
I can walk out to my Jeep right now, remove the clip, see that there is no wear or bubbles and continue to drive the Jeep until this backorder is cleared up and my dealer tells me they have parts.

It's CRAZY to me that some of you (without problems driving) are taking your Jeeps to the dealer and waiting 20 days to get it back. Then you'll come on here and bitch that the dealer is an idiot and Jeep sucks.
Have you considered that maybe 20 days ago we didnā€™t know there was going to be an issue getting the recall taken care of??? Armed with 20 additional days of info like you, I would approach this in a different way. I do appreciate you looking out for us though.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Have you considered that maybe 20 days ago we didnā€™t know there was going to be an issue getting the recall taken care of??? Armed with 20 additional days of info like you, I would approach this in a different way. I do appreciate you looking out for us though.
My dealer said they either had all the parts or the parts were available. I was supposed to get it back the next day, 2 weeks ago.

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
How did you find that one? When i search on jeeps website, 0 are available.

I would love to find and buy one, even knowing i have to wait
I don't think that legally they can sell a vehicle under recall, I was told a couple of weeks ago that the parts to fix the clutch problem were available for the factory to build new product and supply dealers to fix units on their lots.

If you are looking for manuals, I've found them on the East Coast, haven't had any luck on the West Coast - try looking in Nebraska, Tampa, North Carolina and I found one in Baton Rouge.
The problem with this is, one would have to travel to the dealership. Now with the parts available, hopefully manuals will be available on dealer lots who had them just sitting there.

The way I found these vehicles was to go to Google, in the search area put in your specifications ( in my case, 2020, Wrangler, 2 Door, Manual Transmission) when the criteria comes up, then click on Images. This will show images of vehicles fitting the match. Click on the image, a side window will pop up and you can go to the dealers site. Hope this helps

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Got my oil change today and walked around while I waited. Thereā€™s a Manual Rubicon in the lot near me if anyone is interested.

Sponsored

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Ya, it was exactly 22 days ago that I replied in this very thread and said I was going to wait, because I had no problems with the clutch currently, and I wanted dealers and their techs to figure this out first.

- granted if I was having a big problem with my clutch 22 days ago, sure that would be a different topic.

signals34

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
is there a date this recall has to be done by ?.....even though i received my recall notice, i have not been able to get to a dealer, there is not issues with my clutch...but say , something happens now, to my clutch, and there's a fire or something major, could jeep come back and say to me, it's your problem, we sent the notice to you ,you received it, and did nothing about it.....i wouldn't put it past them to say that.....

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
is there a date this recall has to be done by ?.....even though i received my recall notice, i have not been able to get to a dealer, there is not issues with my clutch...but say , something happens now, to my clutch, and there's a fire or something major, could jeep come back and say to me, it's your problem, we sent the notice to you ,you received it, and did nothing about it.....i wouldn't put it past them to say that.....
No, and safety recalls never expire.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Ya, it was exactly 22 days ago that I replied in this very thread and said I was going to wait, because I had no problems with the clutch currently, and I wanted dealers and their techs to figure this out first.

- granted if I was having a big problem with my clutch 22 days ago, sure that would be a different topic.

They finally had to out mine back together with the original clutch kit they removed because they got a defective kit from FCA and couldn't get a new one. They're still waiting on the replacement parts.
Sponsored