Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

dchant

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep grand cherokee
Anyone have a picture of the wiring harness?
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Anyone have a picture of the wiring harness?
The harness is routed along the top of the driver side fender apron. The clip is pretty close to the firewall.

MarkK10

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 1999 F250 Diesel, 2007 Mustang GT, 2015 Escape
Wondering if this was a sign of things to come...

This weekend I ran a couple errands for Motherā€™s Day, one to get some coffee for my wife and then another stop to pick her up some breakfast for Motherā€™s Day.
I let the Jeep stay on while I went to get coffee at a local place here, because of social distancing it took a while as only a few people were allowed in the shop at a time. 10 minutes later I am out, put the Jeep in gear as it was running while I was in the shop. Start releasing the clutch and the grab point was almost immediate for that first bite, and it threw me almost into a stall. Let the clutch out all the way and it jerked hard then off I went. Was weird.

Sat at idle for the curbside pickup for 40 minutes before our food came. Again got to leaving, put the Jeep in 1st and it grabbed hard right away then jerked forward.

almost stalled it twice, this has never happened before in the last three months of ownership. My mind suddenly went to the details I have read on here that the clutch and pressure plate donā€™t fully disengage and this is what causes the heat build up. So now wondering if the weird feel and immediate grab of the clutch for these was because at idle in my Jeep there was constant contact.

Anyone else notice this? First time I have left the Jeep in and locked the doors while I did these errands.

Wonder if this could be a sign that there are issues beyond a hose for mine.
Dave,

I think that a clutch that was not completely disengaged would only heat up if you were stopped with the engine running, with the transmission in gear, and the clutch pushed in. If you were idling with the transmission in neutral, it wouldnā€™t heat up. Keep in mind this is just my option based on 50+ years of working on cars and race cars.

Mark

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
My dealer has parts in. I was told that there is a pressure test and the clutch will only be replaced laced if it fails the test. They said the sleeve had to be done regardless. I thought the clutch had to also be replaced?
are they giving me the wrong info?

Nichro722

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 2dr / 6spd
My dealer has parts in. I was told that there is a pressure test and the clutch will only be replaced laced if it fails the test. They said the sleeve had to be done regardless. I thought the clutch had to also be replaced?
are they giving me the wrong info?
It is the correct info. In short, they check the line for wear and remove the clip surrounding it. They then put the sleeve on and bleed the clutch line. If there were signs of air in the line they perform the ā€œclutch dumpā€ test to ensure the engine stalls under load. If it stalls, youre good to go. If it fails, the diagnosis is usually a new clutch.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have about 4000 miles now on my centerforce and no regrets. The heavy flywheel makes the 3.6 feel like the 4.0 in my last TJ. The single disc clutch means you can actually control timing and pressure level of engagement. Just that much more enjoyable to drive

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 4000 miles now on my centerforce and no regrets. The heavy flywheel makes the 3.6 feel like the 4.0 in my last TJ. The single disc clutch means you can actually control timing and pressure level of engagement. Just that much more enjoyable to drive
Any effect on as mileage? A little better? A little worse? How about high rpm behavior?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Any effect on as mileage? A little better? A little worse? How about high rpm behavior?
Fuel economy dropped from 16.5 to 15-15.5
High rpm (over 5k) rev hang is worse, i can't wait for a tuner to fix that. Otherwise I love it

Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Fuel economy dropped from 16.5 to 15-15.5
High rpm (over 5k) rev hang is worse, i can't wait for a tuner to fix that. Otherwise I love it
I'm debating this set-up. Biggest concern is adding so much rotational mass to an engine I feel is already under-powered. How do you figure a tuner is going to fix rev-hang ? The hang should simply be from the heavier flywheel taking longer to slow it's spin between shifts.

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Today I had the wife repeatedly press the clutch while I watched the hydro line. Come to find out, the entire master cylinder flexes a bit on the firewall as she pumps the clutch - crazy !

I've got the clip as described between the loom and line. There's literally zero evidence of rub on this original protective sleeve. In fact, it looks to me like this original protective sleeve is far thicker / more robust than the new "fix-it" sleeve.

I'm wondering, if I remove the clip myself, would the dealer come up with some reason I wouldn't be eligible for "the fix" should I have issues down the road ?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm debating this set-up. Biggest concern is adding so much rotational mass to an engine I feel is already under-powered. How do you figure a tuner is going to fix rev-hang ? The hang should simply be from the heavier flywheel taking longer to slow it's spin between shifts.
The engine actually feels very different. Low end torque feels substantially better even though it isn't actually changed. It's nice to leave a light or climb a driveway by easing into the clutch without using any throttle input at all. Plus, you get a lot more initial thrust when launching with a higher rpm.

On the rev hang, the engine is programmed with about a half second delay between snap-off throttle and fuel/throttle valve actually being cut.
I have a feeling it's preventing a spike in undesirable emissions, but in the grand scheme I'd rather save some clutch than a couple squares inches of ozone.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
What were the centerforce clutch install issues that you were having? I've read that a heavier fly wheel slows revs, reduces power and hurts gas mileage. Have you felt these things?
Sponsored