Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Took mine in today for my last free rotation and asked about the recall. The service manager knew the whole story and said they had the sleeve in stock. 45 minutes later, all five tires rotated, clutch passed the "test" and the sleeve was on. Never had problems with my clutch at 24,000 miles now. Clutch pedal is still soft in my opinion but it's expected. No difference in the pedal so I assume they didn't bleed the line otherwise I think I would have been then longer than 45 mins.
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Not at all, it's the Hendrick Jeep in Concord.
Sting on a side note, do you think the radio recall and software update for the camera will be an issue with the AmPro that I just installed?

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wondering if this was a sign of things to come...

This weekend I ran a couple errands for Mother’s Day, one to get some coffee for my wife and then another stop to pick her up some breakfast for Mother’s Day.
I let the Jeep stay on while I went to get coffee at a local place here, because of social distancing it took a while as only a few people were allowed in the shop at a time. 10 minutes later I am out, put the Jeep in gear as it was running while I was in the shop. Start releasing the clutch and the grab point was almost immediate for that first bite, and it threw me almost into a stall. Let the clutch out all the way and it jerked hard then off I went. Was weird.

Sat at idle for the curbside pickup for 40 minutes before our food came. Again got to leaving, put the Jeep in 1st and it grabbed hard right away then jerked forward.

almost stalled it twice, this has never happened before in the last three months of ownership. My mind suddenly went to the details I have read on here that the clutch and pressure plate don’t fully disengage and this is what causes the heat build up. So now wondering if the weird feel and immediate grab of the clutch for these was because at idle in my Jeep there was constant contact.

Anyone else notice this? First time I have left the Jeep in and locked the doors while I did these errands.

Wonder if this could be a sign that there are issues beyond a hose for mine.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sting on a side note, do you think the radio recall and software update for the camera will be an issue with the AmPro that I just installed?
Shouldn't. As I read the recall (assuming it's the same one), it's just a flash update and not a full radio update. They don't need to remove the stereo to do that, they simply use a USB stick and enter the engineering mode to update it.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
After today I’ll be on week number two without my Jeep , my dealer has been doing their best and Jeep cares is now involved. I need my rig back, it’s the one way I was able to get my kids and wife out of the house and somewhere safe where they could enjoy themselves, poor little guys and ladies have been cooped up in here long enough.

Apparently Chrysler sent my dealer a defective kit, they couldnt get it to go in reverse after they put it together and now they can’t get replacement parts because the entire kit is vin specific.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
After today I’ll be on week number two without my Jeep , my dealer has been doing their best and Jeep cares is now involved. I need my rig back, it’s the one way I was able to get my kids and wife out of the house and somewhere safe where they could enjoy themselves, poor little guys and ladies have been cooped up in here long enough.

Apparently Chrysler sent my dealer a defective kit, they couldnt get it to go in reverse after they put it together and now they can’t get replacement parts because the entire kit is vin specific.
Well that totally sucks!

3kiddos

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 JLUR

Dealing with the same issue, as I took mine in 10 days ago and I've been calling daily. Dealer has been great, but this is some hot garbage. I try to not walk out in the garage to see the loaner Compass sitting there....my blood pressure immediately rises!

I'll post a follow up once this is all resolved for those who might experience similar.

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
The radio re-flash / recall for the back up camera has been updated (01 May date). You can check if you software is current or not, before taking to the dealer. Look at page 4 of the attached pdf.

A. Inspect the radio software version

1. Turn the ignition to the “RUN” position.

2. Turn the radio to the “ON” position.

3. Press and hold the two lower corners of the radio display screen simultaneously until the “Dealer Mode” screen appears, approximately seven seconds, and then release the buttons.

4. Select “Radio Part Information”.

5. Is the radio “Application Version” IR22.6 or lower or JR30.24 or higher? (Figure 1).

 Yes - The radio software is current. No further action required.

NOTE: Uconnect website might indicate a software update is available for radio’s that have software IR22.6 or lower, if it does do not update the software.

 No - There is radio software update available. Please continue to section B. Software Download

Attachments

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
So had my inspection done today... passed!!!!

This is what I learned......

The issue is that there is a downward pull on one of the lines that causes an air leak and hence directly affects the performance of the clutch.

The downward force causes a deformation in the rubber line that introduced air in the system.

It is a three step process....

1) they check for leaks, air in the system and remove the clip that secured the line. Sometimes the line will start to leak after the removal of the clip so then they need to replace the line and directly go to step 3, as this is a potential for introduction of air in the system.

2) do a pressure check to check for leaks after a new clip and sleeve are applied.

3) do the clutch release test.... the one that we all dread! But only if they found a leak and/or air in the system. If not, they are not doing it as it is an unnecessary stress on the clutch... at least at my dealership.

I did ask if jeep was going to offer an extended warranty related to this, and was told probably but nothing official yet.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Trying to schedule mine today the SA said the dealer used all their parts on the new inventory. So glad they thought about all the people already driving ones with a bad clutch
We can help! Send us a PM with your VIN and dealer name. Did you have the clutch test done yet?

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Dealing with the same issue, as I took mine in 10 days ago and I've been calling daily. Dealer has been great, but this is some hot garbage. I try to not walk out in the garage to see the loaner Compass sitting there....my blood pressure immediately rises!

I'll post a follow up once this is all resolved for those who might experience similar.
We can help with the part, send us a PM with your VIN and dealer name.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

3kiddos

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 JLUR
We can help! Send us a PM with your VIN and dealer name. Did you have the clutch test done yet?

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

We can help with the part, send us a PM with your VIN and dealer name.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Sent. Thanks for reaching out.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I haven't experienced any clutch issues. But I checked the hose from reservoir to clutch master cylinder today and found it was never clipped into the retainer on the wiring harness. I guess they missed it at the factory. Looks like FCA's lack of QC worked in my favor this time.

Nichro722

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 2dr / 6spd
I haven't experienced any clutch issues. But I checked the hose from reservoir to clutch master cylinder today and found it was never clipped into the retainer on the wiring harness. I guess they missed it at the factory. Looks like FCA's lack of QC worked in my favor this time.
No issues with my clutch either. My clip is attached to the wiring harness, but was never placed around the Master cylinder reservoir hose from the factory. Called the dealer I purchased the jeep from. They never heard of the recall, nor performed the repair yet. Also said parts were unavailable for two weeks due to my region (southern nj) and a limited roll out. Called another local dealer who said they had the parts and have performed the repair on several vehicles, including new inventory. He said one new jeep on the lot with 20 miles needs a whole new clutch. Smelled like burnt clutch since day one. Most repairs usually involve adding the hose sleeve. My appt is Monday. Hopefully it goes well.
Sponsored

Last edited: