Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

erick73

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 here with 16k miles. no clutch slipping, no smell, no noise, nothing.
I took it to my less than stellar dealer's service department. After them having my Jeep for 24 hours and radio silence I called them.
They said they've done dozens and dozens of these inspections and they've all checked out fine except for mine.
They said mine needs a whole new clutch. They have to order the parts. They said the Jeep is driveable, to come pick it up and they'll call me when the parts come in and they'll give me a loaner at that time because the repairs will take more than one day.
Dear lord I hope they don't screw up my Jeep when they go replace the clutch.
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I took it to my less than stellar dealer's service department. After them having my Jeep for 24 hours and radio silence I called them.
They said they've done dozens and dozens of these inspections and they've all checked out fine except for mine.
They said mine needs a whole new clutch. They have to order the parts. They said the Jeep is driveable, to come pick it up and they'll call me when the parts come in and they'll give me a loaner at that time because the repairs will take more than one day.
Dear lord I hope they don't screw up my Jeep when they go replace the clutch.
My concern, exactly.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

They said mine needs a whole new clutch.
My concern, exactly.
Same. 32,000 miles and zero issues.

Geeze, @Torero, I was going to leave mine alone for a good while to let the techs practice, but you got me thinking about liability. Or, what if my wife takes the Jeep, as sheā€™s known to do every once in a while, and something bad happens?

Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

dchant

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep grand cherokee
Those of you getting a new clutch, is it the same as the original? Or were there changes made.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Those of you getting a new clutch, is it the same as the original? Or were there changes made.
My understanding is that it has more to do with improperly bled hydraulic fluid, leaving air bubbles in it and that causes problems with the clutch disengaging. (A really smart forum member posted about this either in this thread or a related one.) If the clutch doesn't completely disengage at idle, then the friction causes undo heat. I don't think any pressure plate or clutch would do too well if exposed to 1400 degree heat, especially if it happens repeatedly. So eliminate the cause of the heat, and the existing clutch and pressure plate should do fine. The clutch replacement would be due to just wearing out from never completely disengaging.

Of course, I'm just guessing at all this based on what I've read, so it is all second hand. I've not heard directly from anyone even close to the actual situation.

I'm hoping to get my appointment set up soon. My service advisor has not returned my calls yet, so I'm going to stop in there on Monday. I'm really dying to see if mine passes the test. I hope it does and they just need to put the mods on and bleed it for safe measure. But, I won't whine about getting a brand new clutch, either.

Really the biggest pain for me is undoing that danged Tazer connector before taking it in. What a pain in the a$$.

As I've said before, if they are working and adjusted properly, these should be durable clutches and trannys. Mine has stood up to a couple of VERY abusive incidents by well-meaning people and didn't seem to suffer any ill effects. We'll see soon, though!

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Parts availability update. I'm not sure what the service advisor was looking at before, but now the updated information (what i'm being told) about the recall part is that it's a special recall part number, it takes a VIN to order it, they don't show inventory status online and no shipping information is available, you get it when you get it.

Will I ever see my Wrangler again?
Have you heard back from your dealer? Let us know if we can help with anything.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Well, I was supposed to pick up my Jeep yesterday but when they put it back together it wouldnā€™t go in reverse so theyā€™re guessing FCA sent them an incorrect part in the recall kit. Kind of worried about it now.
Have you heard back? We are happy to help if you need anything!

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

hmz236

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Picked up the Jeep this morning. They removed that clip holding the low pressure hose in place, installed the new sleeve and did the bleed procedure. Passed the clutch test so no new clutch here.
The clutch feels about the same as it did before, no noticeable difference.
What still puzzles me is what part they need to wait for that is VIN specific.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I dropped mine off today for them to do Wednesday. I did not remove the oil pan skid (I have the Quadratec under armor system), figured if its a problem they'll call and I can reschedule. I started to do it this weekend and just wasn't into it. Anyone want to vote on how long until they call saying they couldn't do the repair?

Also, I'm curious if 5.13 gears would change anything with the "scary clutch test." It would behave more like it was in 3rd and a half gear vs. 4th. I assume it would still die. I thought about doing it myself, but then thought better of it. 18k miles, no issues or smell on the clutch except when I killed it like 20 times trying to get over a rock that I had no business trying to get over. I admitted defeat that day. :(

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
So I schedule an appointment with one of my "local" dealers, which is still close to 25 miles away. I provided my VIN and asked if they had the sleeve in stock. I was told that they did. I go in today and they tell me they have to order the sleeve as it is VIN specific. I tell them that all manual JLs produced to date need the sleeve as part of the recall. They tell me they will call me when they get the part it. Wasted 2 hours of my day dealing with them.

The positive is they did add some air to my tires ... so I have that going for me.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dropped mine off today for them to do Wednesday. I did not remove the oil pan skid (I have the Quadratec under armor system), figured if its a problem they'll call and I can reschedule. I started to do it this weekend and just wasn't into it. Anyone want to vote on how long until they call saying they couldn't do the repair?

Also, I'm curious if 5.13 gears would change anything with the "scary clutch test." It would behave more like it was in 3rd and a half gear vs. 4th. I assume it would still die. I thought about doing it myself, but then thought better of it. 18k miles, no issues or smell on the clutch except when I killed it like 20 times trying to get over a rock that I had no business trying to get over. I admitted defeat that day. :(
I pulled the engine/tranny skid and transfer case skids off before I took it in for my appointment. I have the same skid system as you and really am happy with it.

Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I pulled the engine/tranny skid and transfer case skids off before I took it in for my appointment. I have the same skid system as you and really am happy with it.
They just called. Did it today. Clutch passed, so only the sleeve. They also are giving me the new front stabilizer so they can mark that recall off as completed even though they aren't touching my current setup. Interesting.

SGT4774

First Name
TA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR - Sting Gray (6 speed)
I called to setup recall appointment on Saturday and they advised the had the necessary parts and asked me to drop it off today. I dropped it off this morning and was told expect about a 2 hr wait. 4 hours later, the service tech calls and informs me that I have a leaky pressure hose and they need to order parts. The most puzzling part of this is I have had zero issues with the clutch (4700 miles). I have not had any fluid leeks under my Jeep in the garage. Doesnā€™t make much sense to me. Oh well, I guess I have no choice but to play the game.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They just called. Did it today. Clutch passed, so only the sleeve. They also are giving me the new front stabilizer so they can mark that recall off as completed even though they aren't touching my current setup. Interesting.
Good deal! I'd love it if my dealer gave me mine. I've got the Fox 2.0 and it is great, but I'd love to have the V41 replacement for when the Fox eventually wears out, if it does. Good on that dealer!

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Luckily it is so easy to remove and reinstall the engine/tranny skid and the transfer case skid. The fuel tank skid was a pain due to the bolt near the fender well. They should recommend that be the first one to start.

First Name
Brian-Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6SPEED
Hi everyone, I hope all of you And your loved ones are staying safe and healthy is these strange times.

I have a 2019 Rubicon Unlimited 4 Door. Manual of course.. In Canada so I currently have about 5000kmā€™s only. Sheā€™s my garage queen lol.

Now Iā€™ll be honest, Iā€™ve been driving manual for 20 years now, without sounding full of myself and trying to be humble I would say Iā€™m a pro.

I have never ridden the clutch, even though I know you might want to since thereā€™s no dead rest pedal. Iā€™ve beaten this thing hard, redlined but also am quick with engagement and disengagement of the clutch. This entire thread has me livid.

First I was pissed about the welds falling apart on some Wranlgers. Came home like a freak looking underneath, then I found out mine was made on a Wednesday at 8AM, knock on wood my welds everywhere are actually immaculate.

Now I basically have a shit pressure plate. Yes, seems some of us are okay! However my mileage is very low but I have no strange symptoms. The point is this is a brand new vehicle. No one should be going through these issues.

FCA dropped the ball big time, now I have to read about the small overlap test for IIHS and how theyā€™re investigating FCA for this rollover that shouldnā€™t happen.

I already order a Centerforce kit, beefy pressure plate with a patent ballbearing design, dual friction clutch, and high inertia flywheel. Back ordered for 4 weeks. I want the parts because who knows whatā€™s gonna happen in this Pandemic and availability later on.

Sorry for the long post but this is my FIRST Jeep product ever. I absolutely love her, amazing for so many reasons just that when youā€™re checking WELDS and have pressure plate issues on a design thatā€™s been around for decades I think thatā€™s a BIG issue and doesnā€™t sit well with me.

Also, I work in the auto industry in dealerships for most of my life. No I donā€™t trust dealers, warranty work pays the LEAST, so the techs will be rushing these as fast as possible. They wonā€™t care, theyā€™ll just rush and get it done as fast as possible. This is everywhere not just FCA. Once who I thought was a friend mechanic charged my warranty for a job that wasnā€™t even done. The scams that go on are insane. Of course some dealers and techs are amazing people, just hard to trust when youā€™ve been burned so many times.

Also, no I donā€™t feel comfortable being the gimp to experiment on as the first one or one of the first ones, simple as a sleeve or whatever. Iā€™ll wait for the Centerforce clutch thanks lol

On a positive note, Iā€™m excited for the Centerforce kit and will definitely be an upgrade over the squishy stock clutch.

Sorry for the rant! I just care about all you people out there, hard earned money and disappointing seeing these recalls.

Good luck to all of you!
Sponsored