Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Are you volunteering?
I did, it passed. It’s no big deal like many are saying. And you only get the smell really bad if the clutch is bad.
At the end, that’s how you test a clutch, otherwise you only realize you have to replace it when it’s slipping really bad.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I did, it passed. It’s no big deal like many are saying. And you only get the smell really bad if the clutch is bad.
At the end, that’s how you test a clutch, otherwise you only realize you have to replace it when it’s slipping really bad.
Hmm, you’re the second poster to this thread to say this test process is normal and no big deal. It sounds awful to me, but I’m no mechanic.

Still, I’m not going to be one of the first in line. I think I’ll wait a few weeks to see how the replies to this thread are trending.

Good to hear yours went OK.

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely not. I'm not that curious
I like my jeep to much

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine tested yesterday and passed. Took a little over an hour.

yj93

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Manual
I am working on getting the update scheduled. Missed a call from the dealership earlier in the week. It will be interesting to see if there is any change in the way the B.O.B. shifts after the update. Well, how the clutch responds.

Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I am working on getting the update scheduled. Missed a call from the dealership earlier in the week. It will be interesting to see if there is any change in the way the B.O.B. shifts after the update. Well, how the clutch responds.
What's the B.O.B. stand for? When I read it, I think of Sky God Robert Johansson and laugh.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Well, I was supposed to pick up my Jeep yesterday but when they put it back together it wouldn’t go in reverse so they’re guessing FCA sent them an incorrect part in the recall kit. Kind of worried about it now.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
The test concerns me. I mean pulling a clutch dump in 4th gear at 4k RPM while doing a WOT isn't something I would deem as reasonable without expecting damage. My main concern is if I bring my vehicle in and the dealer performs said test and then says my clutch passed will FCA warrant a future clutch failure, or will they attribute it to natural wear and tear and not cover it?

My vehicle has shown no signs of issues and I barely have 5k miles on it
Thats not a "test" IMNSHO its shear stupidity!

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What does "rerouting wiring harness" have to do with clutch failure and fire?
Nothing, has anyone verified theyre actually talking about re-routing of fuel lines?

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The detailed repair procedure finally indirectly explains the root issue. It seems to be the wiring harness clip causing damage to the low pressure reservoir hose that feeds into the clutch master cylinder and thus allowing air in the system. It doesn't appear that any wiring harness has anything to do with being an ignition source as previously speculated.

What is still unclear to me is why air in the clutch hydraulic system would case clutch failure. My understanding is that would cause issues with disengagement, not engagement.
Is there anyone here who has the repair procedure document?

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Two days ago, I spoke with a dealer in Nebraska, I was trying to purchase a Willy's from them. In the discussion, the recall on the manual came up, so they checked into it - more to follow.

The next day, I spoke with a guy I have been communicating with with Chrysler Corp, he confirmed what the dealer in Nebraska told me - again more to follow.

Yesterday (05/07/2020) I went to my dealer, who took my deposit back in February, he confirmed my build and what the above two entities told me.

Bottom line. The Ohio Factory, is scheduled to start the line back up on May 18th, not only building new product, but working on product ordered.

When the line starts back up, they will be building product with Manual Transmissions, so they have the "fix" and they have the parts.

My dealer told me that my order is confirmed and I can expect to have my finished build by the "end of June". Which concerns me.

If the line starts back up on May 18th as expected, why should it take another five weeks to get my Jeep built? Especially since I've already been waiting nearly five months ??

We can't blame Chrysler for the virus, I do blame them for the poor communications. My "waiting game" all started due to the clutch problem, then I had the bad luck because the virus hit - shutting down the factory.

If I had been told back in February there is an issue with building Manual Transmissions and Chrysler can't or won't build them until there is a fix for the problem, I may not have purchased one in the first place or opted for the Auto. But NO, the dealer kept telling me there isn't a problem, your build is being built - then any additional delay was not their fault.

Before placing my order, Chrysler knew of the clutch problem, but they took my order and my deposit anyway.
I ordered my 2019 JLUR on May 3, 2019 and picked it up July 15. Depending on the model, your Jeep goes to another facility to add options, stickers and other items. Then there is the shipping and based on location you can add 2-3 weeks for it to go from Toledo to the rail yard nearest your dealer to then be brought to them on a car carrier. The factory shutdown for 3 weeks after my order was placed so that added to my delay in getting it. You will not be sorry. I have almost 24,000 miles in less than 10 months and it is fantastic and fun. You won't want to drive any of your other vehicles.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Hmm, you’re the second poster to this thread to say this test process is normal and no big deal. It sounds awful to me, but I’m no mechanic.

Still, I’m not going to be one of the first in line. I think I’ll wait a few weeks to see how the replies to this thread are trending.

Good to hear yours went OK.
Hello,
It went ok by my test, I am still on the fence about taking the car to the dealer. I got 36,000 miles on my Jeep and have never been to the dealer. I don’t know them, I don’t know who would be testing/ working in my car. Makes me uneasy. I know my clutch is good, but I don’t know about the consequences of ignoring a safety recall. I don’t care about warranty, that’s on me; but liability towards others is a different story.

hmz236

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Heard back from the dealership today that my Jeep was ready to be picked up.
Unfortunately I was in the middle of an oil change and wasn't able to make the trip before they closed.

Didn't get any details over the phone as far as what was done to it. Will get all the detials in person Monday morning.
Sponsored