Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
I dropped mine off yesterday, less than 2 hours later I got a call, need a new clutch, I’m getting it back Friday!
Did you notice any symptoms w/ the clutch prior to dropping it off?
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My guess is that they are referring to a protective sleeve that is placed around the hose that goes from the clutch master cylinder to the fluid reservoir.

From the dealer instruction document:
NOTE: The following PN: CSDLW123AA is to be installed on all involved vehicles. Part Number Description CSDLW123AA Part Package Each package contains the following components: Quantity: 1, Description: Sleeve, Hose

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 11.08.57 AM.png
Man that is like an awesome appearance package that does nothing. Maybe we could get some Recon stickers on it to round it out? Also, do Recons get red sleeves to match the seat belts? They better!!

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Got my letter in the mail on Friday. Called a dealership on Monday to make the appointment to drop it off on my lunch break but was told no loaners are available till the pandemic is over (which is understandable.) But the dealer isn't open on Sat at the moment either so that sucks. I would just take the day off to get the test done but I was also told that NO parts are going to be available for this recall till August at the earliest.... So apparently i will not be doing this till Aug? Sucks cause my clutch chatters when starting off from a stand still. The pedal feels like it is binding between 20%-80% of travel with an audible sound coming from what im assuming is the slave cylinder. I only assume cause this happened on my old YJ when the slave cylinder went. Guess I should have just stuck with the old girl instead of upgrading

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Got my letter in the mail on Friday. Called a dealership on Monday to make the appointment to drop it off on my lunch break but was told no loaners are available till the pandemic is over (which is understandable.) But the dealer isn't open on Sat at the moment either so that sucks. I would just take the day off to get the test done but I was also told that NO parts are going to be available for this recall till August at the earliest.... So apparently i will not be doing this till Aug? Sucks cause my clutch chatters when starting off from a stand still. The pedal feels like it is binding between 20%-80% of travel with an audible sound coming from what im assuming is the slave cylinder. I only assume cause this happened on my old YJ when the slave cylinder went. Guess I should have just stuck with the old girl instead of upgrading
Parts are available now, so if you'd like us to make an appointment sooner just send us a PM with your VIN and dealer name.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

StacieMay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Manual Sport S Mojito. 2016 Ram 1500 Blue Streak, 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Maunal
Whoa what? That happened when the dealership conducted their test??
No,sorry this happened before the recall had been issued. Just after Xmas I think.

Sponsored

MarkK10

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 1999 F250 Diesel, 2007 Mustang GT, 2015 Escape
I fail to see how air in the clutch lines results in a heat failure of the pressure plate assembly...
If there is air in the clutch release system (master cylinder, slave cylinder, and lines), it could cause the clutch to not be released completely when you press the pedal to the floor. So, if you are stopped in traffic with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal pressed down, there could still be some drag on the clutch disc and pressure plate. Over time, this could cause heat buildup and glazing of the disc resulting in premature failure of the pressure plate.

Note that this is just an educated guess on my part, so I could be wrong. The above scenario might also cause difficulty putting the transmission in gear from neutral and also shifting problems.

I did notice that in the W12 instructions to the dealer, there are over two pages devoted to bleeding the clutch release system.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Got my letter today and left a message with my dealer. I'm going to go ahead and go through the process. I'm going to make sure they have a loaner before it gets in there and winds up spending nights. Last I talked to them, before the pandemic, they said they'd try to put me in a Gladiator, if it needed to be repaired. I'm going to see if they can do that! I'd love to tool around in one of those for a few days!

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
My service rep told me (about a week ago) that parts are available, but they don't have them in stock. He said that once parts were in stock he would contact me but I haven't heard from him yet. This is at Moritz CDJR in White Settlement. Anybody in the DFW area get this done yet?

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
P/u my vehicle today. Yes they put protective sleeve on and bled slave cylinder and then said they needed to do nothing else it, all looked good. Service rep did not say if there was air in cylinder but, with that said the clutch was easier to engage and had a better feel when taking off from a standstill. Time will tell. I could just be fooling myself also

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
My service rep told me (about a week ago) that parts are available, but they don't have them in stock. He said that once parts were in stock he would contact me but I haven't heard from him yet. This is at Moritz CDJR in White Settlement. Anybody in the DFW area get this done yet?
Is there really a town near Dallas called White Settlement? If so, that's awful.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I dropped mine off yesterday, less than 2 hours later I got a call, need a new clutch, I’m getting it back Friday!
interested in details - year, mileage, any symptoms you picked up on as far as slippage or anything else?

hmz236

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Have my appointment scheduled for tomorrow. Haven't had any clutch slippage but when in reverse there is no feedback whatsoever on the clutch engagement point.
Will report back with the dealerships findings.

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
interesting that they want you to set the parking brake but then no mention of releasing it prior to letting the clutch out.......

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If there is air in the clutch release system (master cylinder, slave cylinder, and lines), it could cause the clutch to not be released completely when you press the pedal to the floor. So, if you are stopped in traffic with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal pressed down, there could still be some drag on the clutch disc and pressure plate. Over time, this could cause heat buildup and glazing of the disc resulting in premature failure of the pressure plate.

Note that this is just an educated guess on my part, so I could be wrong. The above scenario might also cause difficulty putting the transmission in gear from neutral and also shifting problems.

I did notice that in the W12 instructions to the dealer, there are over two pages devoted to bleeding the clutch release system.
I suppose I could see that. You would need to sit at traffic lights in gear and clutch held down, but yeah, I can see some drivers with that bad habit. With the two stage clutch you probably wouldn't creep forward, especially if your other foot is on the brake

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
interested in details - year, mileage, any symptoms you picked up on as far as slippage or anything else?

2018, about 32k miles and I did notice the clutch feel change one time I went wheeling, it’d been hot and we were out all day, that was it though.
Sponsored