Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Hi,

New member here; first post. I've been following this thread as the stop sale has prevented me from replacing my current JKU Polar with a JLUR.

The full remedy, to include fault-tracing procedures, can be found here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V124-1465.pdf

Of note, the clutch health check consists of:

"B. Clutch Health Check Procedure

NOTE: The clutch health check procedure requires a technician that has experience in driving manual transmission vehicles.

NOTE: Limit the test to one time, to prevent excessive clutch odor.

1. Move vehicle to a parking lot, away from pedestrians or other vehicles.

2. Close all windows and turn HVAC system off prior to starting procedure below.

3. Fully engage the parking brake.

4. Fully depress to the clutch pedal and move shift lever into 4th gear.

5. Raise the engine to 4,000 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute).

6. Engage the clutch rapidly and simultaneously move the accelerator to wide open throttle.

NOTE: Do not slide foot off the clutch pedal, simply rapidly release your foot.

•  If the engine stalls immediately without the engine RPM increasing, the clutch heath test has passed, no further service is required return the vehicle to the customer.

NOTE: Allow a minimum of 5 minutes for the clutch odor to dissipate before returning vehicle to the customer.

•  If the engine RPM increases (indicating clutch slippage) and then stalls the clutch health test failed, follow section C. Replace Clutch Procedure.

•  If the engine RPM increases (indicating clutch slippage) but does not stall the clutch health test failed, follow section C. Replace Clutch Procedure"

I hope this helps.
Thanks for finding that. I am have been in Mechanical Engineering (not degreed though) for 30 years and would love to be sitting in my Jeep when they do this.
Sponsored

StoneFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr JL
That sound exactly like how my brother's '06 Mustang clutch feels. I feel like that's really good news.
well my only concern is if they did something to mess it up. I guess im just not sure how the repairs that they made could actually affect this

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
well my only concern is if they did something to mess it up. I guess im just not sure how the repairs that they made could actually affect this
Having bubbles in the clutch hydraulics would cause the required travel to be longer, and in addition there would be less feedback in the pedal.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
My recall notice just came in the mail today. I guess I’ll be making an appointment. Not sure I’m super happy about them burning my clutch to “test it” though. That sucks that’s the way they are inspecting it.

What happens if a person doesn’t get the recall done? If it explodes, it’s your fault?

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Hi,

New member here; first post. I've been following this thread as the stop sale has prevented me from replacing my current JKU Polar with a JLUR.

The full remedy, to include fault-tracing procedures, can be found here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V124-1465.pdf

NOTE: The clutch health check procedure requires a technician that has experience in driving manual transmission vehicles.

2. Close all windows and turn HVAC system off prior to starting procedure below.

6. Engage the clutch rapidly and simultaneously move the accelerator to wide open throttle.

•  If the engine stalls immediately without the engine RPM increasing, the clutch heath test has passed, no further service is required return the vehicle to the customer.

NOTE: Allow a minimum of 5 minutes for the clutch odor to dissipate before returning vehicle to the customer.

•  If the engine RPM increases (indicating clutch slippage) and then stalls the clutch health test failed, follow section C. Replace Clutch Procedure.

•  If the engine RPM increases (indicating clutch slippage) but does not stall the clutch health test failed, follow section C. Replace Clutch Procedure"

I hope this helps.
Thanks for posting this!

"NOTE: Allow a minimum of 5 minutes for the clutch odor to dissipate before returning vehicle to the customer." :CWL::CWL::CWL:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hi,

I hope this helps.
Great first post. Welcome!

@DanW I guess you’re all set since your wife and brother-in-law both ran this test for you, already! ;)

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! You got to be kidding. I wonder how many techs they have at these dealerships with experience driving manuals. I hope they don't give a five minute tutorial to a tech and say you can drive a manual and to go test our vehicles that we paid good money for. Not to happy that they are going to intentionally smoke my clutch but, we'll see where this goes.

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu, 2008 JKU, 2008 Jku
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! You got to be kidding. I wonder how many techs they have at these dealerships with experience driving manuals. I hope they don't give a five minute tutorial to a tech and say you can drive a manual and to go test our vehicles that we paid good money for. Not to happy that they are going to intentionally smoke my clutch but, we'll see where this goes.
I agree that this is insane......

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
This is just getting horribler.

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
That is an absurd way to test the clutch. At this point I have 24,000 miles on my jeep and no clutch issues. i may just skip this recall for now and see what happens. If i want someone to just beat up my clutch and see what happens i could let one of my kids borrow it for the afternoon. Saves me a trip to the dealership.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Damn!!! I thought this was a joke ...I scrolled back up to read the actual process in the link.....Damn! WTF are they thinking..they are not gonna fk with my clutch..there is nothing wrong with it now and unless they tell me I have another year of warranty on it they better come up with another way to test it!

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Got my recall letter yesterday. I called my dealer service department today and was told no parts are available. I was put on a waiting list.

JSG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
Having bubbles in the clutch hydraulics would cause the required travel to be longer, and in addition there would be less feedback in the pedal.
When I got my Jeep, there was practically no feed back. I had to find the friction zone to actually drive. I was still able to put on 200 miles using this method just to shift. its been in the shop since 4 april. hopefully I get it back this week.
Sponsored