Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Just called one of the two local dealers to set up service for the recall. They have the sleeve in stock, but if other parts are required they will have to wait for them to arrive. I asked how they check the condition of the pressure plate and they said they do a "clutch test". I asked if they drop the transmission and they said no. I asked if they visually inspect the pressure plate for signs of overheating or apparent initial fracturing and they said no. Then the service manager said that only specific VINs are affected, to which I told him all manual transmission JLs built to date are affected and they stopped production of manuals until they resolved the issue ... he didn't seem to know this. I have an appointment scheduled for next Friday, but may cancel it until I see how other peoples Jeeps are handled. I may call the other dealer in town to see if they seem more competent or at least more informed.

One thing is that I have to remove my engine/transmission and transfer case skid plates before I take it in.
Sounds par for the course for a FCA dealer...I'll wait and see as well.

nlgraham829

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 (No longer own 2018 JLUR)
Just called one of the two local dealers to set up service for the recall. They have the sleeve in stock, but if other parts are required they will have to wait for them to arrive. I asked how they check the condition of the pressure plate and they said they do a "clutch test". I asked if they drop the transmission and they said no. I asked if they visually inspect the pressure plate for signs of overheating or apparent initial fracturing and they said no. Then the service manager said that only specific VINs are affected, to which I told him all manual transmission JLs built to date are affected and they stopped production of manuals until they resolved the issue ... he didn't seem to know this. I have an appointment scheduled for next Friday, but may cancel it until I see how other peoples Jeeps are handled. I may call the other dealer in town to see if they seem more competent or at least more informed.

One thing is that I have to remove my engine/transmission and transfer case skid plates before I take it in.
This has been my concern from the get-go. I am a self proclaimed shade tree mechanic at best but I am not aware of a valid way to inspect a clutch without dropping the transmission. Perhaps there are others on the forum more mechanically inclined that could fill me in. I'd rather not have a tech in my Jeep purposefully driving it in ways to "see if it will slip" which is likely causing unnecessary and accelerated wear at the same time.

Sponsored

belacyrf

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
How on earth can they test a clutch for a defect that would end up in catastrophic failure? Especially without pulling the transmission to expose the Pressure Plate? I have to wonder what testing they feel is adequate to ensure they are free of liability in the case of clutch pressure plate shooting through the bell housing and hurting/killing someone?

nlgraham829

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 (No longer own 2018 JLUR)
How on earth can they test a clutch for a defect that would end up in catastrophic failure? Especially without pulling the transmission to expose the Pressure Plate? I have to wonder what testing they feel is adequate to ensure they are free of liability in the case of clutch pressure plate shooting through the bell housing and hurting/killing someone?
This is what I was getting at as well. How in the world can you inspect a clutch and pressure plate without dropping the tranny to actually look at the components?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
They will do the very least acceptable! They do not have the amount of trained manpower needed to pull this off! Heck they can’t address the stupid small issues without holding up your truck for weeks!

Roweski

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
All I could get out of them since they performed the recall before I took delivery.

recall.PNG

StoneFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr JL
Also had the recall done today and had the same thing. Nothing with the wiring harness. No clutch replacement.

My clutch does feel different now. It feels like a shorter distance when depressing the clutch pedal. Engaging the clutch feels really different now more noticeably in low gear. It feels like more resistance on the pedal and then after a point it just suddenly releases all the way. but maybe its in my head?

Sponsored

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
Also had the recall done today and had the same thing. Nothing with the wiring harness. No clutch replacement.

My clutch does feel different now. It feels like a shorter distance when depressing the clutch pedal. Engaging the clutch feels really different now more noticeably in low gear. It feels like more resistance on the pedal and then after a point it just suddenly releases all the way. but maybe its in my head?
That sound exactly like how my brother's '06 Mustang clutch feels. I feel like that's really good news.

RNAV

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Hi,

New member here; first post. I've been following this thread as the stop sale has prevented me from replacing my current JKU Polar with a JLUR.

The full remedy, to include fault-tracing procedures, can be found here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V124-1465.pdf

Of note, the clutch health check consists of:

"B. Clutch Health Check Procedure

NOTE: The clutch health check procedure requires a technician that has experience in driving manual transmission vehicles.

NOTE: Limit the test to one time, to prevent excessive clutch odor.

1. Move vehicle to a parking lot, away from pedestrians or other vehicles.

2. Close all windows and turn HVAC system off prior to starting procedure below.

3. Fully engage the parking brake.

4. Fully depress to the clutch pedal and move shift lever into 4th gear.

5. Raise the engine to 4,000 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute).

6. Engage the clutch rapidly and simultaneously move the accelerator to wide open throttle.

NOTE: Do not slide foot off the clutch pedal, simply rapidly release your foot.

•  If the engine stalls immediately without the engine RPM increasing, the clutch heath test has passed, no further service is required return the vehicle to the customer.

NOTE: Allow a minimum of 5 minutes for the clutch odor to dissipate before returning vehicle to the customer.

•  If the engine RPM increases (indicating clutch slippage) and then stalls the clutch health test failed, follow section C. Replace Clutch Procedure.

•  If the engine RPM increases (indicating clutch slippage) but does not stall the clutch health test failed, follow section C. Replace Clutch Procedure"

I hope this helps.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

New member here; first post. I've been following this thread as the stop sale has prevented me from replacing my current JKU Polar with a JLUR.

The full remedy, to include fault-tracing procedures, can be found here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V124-1465.pdf

Of note, the clutch health check consists of:

"B. Clutch Health Check Procedure

NOTE: The clutch health check procedure requires a technician that has experience in driving manual transmission vehicles.

NOTE: Limit the test to one time, to prevent excessive clutch odor.

1. Move vehicle to a parking lot, away from pedestrians or other vehicles.

2. Close all windows and turn HVAC system off prior to starting procedure below.

3. Fully engage the parking brake.

4. Fully depress to the clutch pedal and move shift lever into 4th gear.

5. Raise the engine to 4,000 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute).

6. Engage the clutch rapidly and simultaneously move the accelerator to wide open throttle.

NOTE: Do not slide foot off the clutch pedal, simply rapidly release your foot.

•  If the engine stalls immediately without the engine RPM increasing, the clutch heath test has passed, no further service is required return the vehicle to the customer.

NOTE: Allow a minimum of 5 minutes for the clutch odor to dissipate before returning vehicle to the customer.

•  If the engine RPM increases (indicating clutch slippage) and then stalls the clutch health test failed, follow section C. Replace Clutch Procedure.

•  If the engine RPM increases (indicating clutch slippage) but does not stall the clutch health test failed, follow section C. Replace Clutch Procedure"

I hope this helps.
Good job and welcome Lee

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
All this hope and desire of everyone thinking they might get a new clutch out of this recall. Despite that long list of a procedure that was just posted, at many FCA dealerships, I think we are all kidding ourselves if we think this "clutch inspection" is going to be anything more than a tech looking to see if there has been a hole blown out of the bell housing yet. No hole? Clutch is great...have a nice day!
Sponsored