Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
2020 JLUR here, picked it up brand new at the end of December, have 4800 miles on it. I've driven manual transmissions nearly all my life, I've never burned up a clutch, and my clutches last easily north of 150k miles, so I must be doing it "right." I haven't had a single issue with my JLUR clutch. No slipping, no smoke, no burning smell. Agree it's a little light and learning the friction point takes some finesse, but that's the art of driving a manual.

That being said, if I have a 12mo / 12k warranty on the clutch, why wouldn't I just wait until 11mo/11k to take it in for the recall? FCA will be more likely to have a comprehensive fix by then and I'll get a free inspection and replacement of worn parts. Seems like a win-win for me. I'm far more concerned about the breakneck speeds at which others are driving during this QT than I am about my Jeep catching fire. Wife already gave me permission for a fire extinguisher mod, so I'm golden.

Tell me why I should jump on this bandwagon and get my recall done so early.
I'm with you Sean, shoot they can do mine last. I too have no slipping or problems. like you said use it and maybe we will get some fresh parts in there.
Sponsored

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
I just made an appointment for this recall, but it sounds like it's a pretty involved job. I was told it would take a few hours just to see if it needed a full clutch replacement ... and if that's the case, that would require an overnight / multi-day repair. Since I'm in the middle of a move to Houston, I'll have to wait until I get down there to have this work done. I guess I'm not in a huge rush because I've had no problems with my clutch (other than some creaking noises), I have 33k on it, and this issue only affects 1% of vehicles. I like the idea of getting a new clutch, though.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I just made an appointment for this recall, but it sounds like it's a pretty involved job. I was told it would take a few hours just to see if it needed a full clutch replacement ... and if that's the case, that would require an overnight / multi-day repair. Since I'm in the middle of a move to Houston, I'll have to wait until I get down there to have this work done. I guess I'm not in a huge rush because I've had no problems with my clutch (other than some creaking noises), I have 33k on it, and this issue only affects 1% of vehicles. I like the idea of getting a new clutch, though.
Yours makes a creaking noise as well? Mine creaks from underneath when I push in the clutch in or let it out. Only once it is warmed up.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
You have to grease up the over/under helper spring. Mine was very irritating till I did that
Its not the pedal at all. It is coming from underneath the Jeep entirely. Unless that spring is down there somewhere under the jeep?

I did pull out the slave cylinder and grease the spherical ball under the rubber which was a fix on the JK..but that did not help.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yours makes a creaking noise as well? Mine creaks from underneath when I push in the clutch in or let it out. Only once it is warmed up.
My creaking kind of went away on its own. In my Jeep's younger days, I was actually having two different creaking noises -- one from the pedal assembly itself (which was resolved with some lube) and one that came from outside / behind the firewall / under the engine. My dealership was never able to fix the outside one. Fortunately, it eventually quieted down on it's own, albeit after about 10-15 thousand miles. BTW, this creaking only occurred after the Jeep was warmed up. Before starting the engine, I could press down on the clutch pedal and it would be completely quiet and as smooth as butter.

Here's the old thread (I posted on page 2 with a video): https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jlur-clutch-creaking.9811/

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Dealer told me 2 weeks for the parts to show up. Some sort of hose for the slave cylinder, system bleed and inspection of the clutch etc.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well, we know from results we're prone to excessive panic lately from things that affect 1% of a given population....

....but hey, wear a mask, stay at home and your clutch will last longer. In fact just shut down your life and never drive the Jeep again and I guarantee your clutch will still function in the year 2220

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, we know from results we're prone to excessive panic lately from things that affect 1% of a given population....

....but hey, wear a mask, stay at home and your clutch will last longer. In fact just shut down your life and never drive the Jeep again and I guarantee your clutch will still function in the year 2220
A truer post hasn't been made! For a minute there, I felt like life was back to normal ... when I could worry (i.e., relish) about some insignificant Jeep thing. Kinda got my mind off things for a bit and focus on this recall.

Actually, the only reason this recall concerned me in the first place was that I'm in the middle of a 2300-mile move. But after thinking about it a bit, it's the least of my concerns right now. I've put a HARD three dozen k on my Jeep. If it hasn't caught fire yet, it probably won't.

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
Hey @intentsrig , FWIW, I chased down what sounds like the same creaking clutch as well. I didn’t think it was coming from the peddles, but the dealer replaced the assembly, then the slave cylinder…no dice. After chasing it further…the head guy got under there with me and we both thought it was either the throw out barring or clutch fork. Barring may or may not have been greased, but the fork wasn’t.

That was it! Creaking gone! :like:

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Just called one of the two local dealers to set up service for the recall. They have the sleeve in stock, but if other parts are required they will have to wait for them to arrive. I asked how they check the condition of the pressure plate and they said they do a "clutch test". I asked if they drop the transmission and they said no. I asked if they visually inspect the pressure plate for signs of overheating or apparent initial fracturing and they said no. Then the service manager said that only specific VINs are affected, to which I told him all manual transmission JLs built to date are affected and they stopped production of manuals until they resolved the issue ... he didn't seem to know this. I have an appointment scheduled for next Friday, but may cancel it until I see how other peoples Jeeps are handled. I may call the other dealer in town to see if they seem more competent or at least more informed.

One thing is that I have to remove my engine/transmission and transfer case skid plates before I take it in.

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Just a question. Has anyone even gotten a letter from FCA like they said we would?
Sponsored