Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for the info! I'm still not clear on the resolution: please clarify...

Will the wiring harness me moved and clutch inspected for only damaged parts to be replaced OR is the action to automatically replace all clutch parts, regardless?
The statement from FCA: "reroute the wiring harness and inspect the clutch system, replace components as necessary"
If you search your VIN on recall.mopar.com, the repair description pops up.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Thanks for the info! I'm still not clear on the resolution: please clarify...

Will the wiring harness me moved and clutch inspected for only damaged parts to be replaced OR is the action to automatically replace all clutch parts, regardless?
This right there^^^^ This could have been the chance to let us know in the livestream. I thought (not really) this was the reason to have communication between customers and top brass? yes we have questions and the answer is probably twofold but they coud have stated a few facts just to give us an idea of what to expect.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
The statement from FCA: "reroute the wiring harness and inspect the clutch system, replace components as necessary"
If you search your VIN on recall.mopar.com, the repair description pops up.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Can @JeepCares tell us anything about the replacement parts?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Can @JeepCares tell us anything about the replacement parts?
I called dealer today and they still don't have the part. told me to check with them weekly, as it's a hazard and should be taken care of immediately.

JL wit da JLU

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Gotta say, I have owned my 2018 JLU for a little over a year, in that time,
- first service, the dealership put a full quart to much oil in, resulting in some horrible gas mileage as well as being sluggish as can be, took it back had them REDO an oil change to the proper 5 Quarts...
- second service, while they changed my air filter they never put the bolts back in it, I noticed a crazy air noise from under hood next day as I started it to warm up, whole top was off and out of place an air filter was sitting there visible, they then had to order me new bolts as mine were lost... till I suggested getting them out of one on the lot, then they came up with temporary ones....
- recall on steering stabilizer
- brake caliper on front left not working proper causing un even ware, and e brake that sticks on every time it is used having to roll back an forth to get it to release then when it does, it makes a nasty clunk when re engaging the next time (service tech said they seen what I ment but couldnā€™t seem to find any issues...?) and put could not replicate on wo
- then the defrost popped off the rear window on hard top, an the solder job that was donā€™t putting it back on is a joke!!!!!
- which brings me to the clutch recall where I was told by a service manager at a different location it was a 100% no not to have my new born in the vehicle and to carry a fire extinguisher ready at hand if I had to keep driving it between then an ā€œthe fixā€... this being 2 months ago almost has been hard... And to be told today on the phone they donā€™t have info on a release yet..?
- only in this past 2 months to have something in my throttle body start screeching like crazy and the main brake mechanism under the hood making noise every time the brake peddle is used...

To think, roughly 16 month ago I was so stoked about my nearly 65 thousand dollar purchase... thinking I was getting something build a little better then my last...

I guess you live and you learn, one and only FCA product that will be bought in my house hold that is for sure!!!

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Gotta say, I have owned my 2018 JLU for a little over a year, in that time,
- first service, the dealership put a full quart to much oil in, resulting in some horrible gas mileage as well as being sluggish as can be, took it back had them REDO an oil change to the proper 5 Quarts...
- second service, while they changed my air filter they never put the bolts back in it, I noticed a crazy air noise from under hood next day as I started it to warm up, whole top was off and out of place an air filter was sitting there visible, they then had to order me new bolts as mine were lost... till I suggested getting them out of one on the lot, then they came up with temporary ones....
- recall on steering stabilizer
- brake caliper on front left not working proper causing un even ware, and e brake that sticks on every time it is used having to roll back an forth to get it to release then when it does, it makes a nasty clunk when re engaging the next time (service tech said they seen what I ment but couldnā€™t seem to find any issues...?) and put could not replicate on wo
- then the defrost popped off the rear window on hard top, an the solder job that was donā€™t putting it back on is a joke!!!!!
- which brings me to the clutch recall where I was told by a service manager at a different location it was a 100% no not to have my new born in the vehicle and to carry a fire extinguisher ready at hand if I had to keep driving it between then an ā€œthe fixā€... this being 2 months ago almost has been hard... And to be told today on the phone they donā€™t have info on a release yet..?
- only in this past 2 months to have something in my throttle body start screeching like crazy and the main brake mechanism under the hood making noise every time the brake peddle is used...

To think, roughly 16 month ago I was so stoked about my nearly 65 thousand dollar purchase... thinking I was getting something build a little better then my last...

I guess you live and you learn, one and only FCA product that will be bought in my house hold that is for sure!!!
1) You have an awful service department. Stop going there. Their mistakes have nothing to do with Jeep.
2) $65,000?! How is that possible? Do you live in Beverly Hills? You overpaid, my friend.
3) A fire extinguisher is always a good idea, but not driving your family because of this recall is silly. Youā€™re listening to the tech who put 6qts of oil in your Jeep? And who canā€™t change an air filter? At the dealership where your overpaid by at least $15k, but probably more?

30,000 trouble free miles and counting over here... awesome service at Fitzpatrickā€™s Jeep in Ansonia, CT. Out the door at just over $40k for a loaded Rubi (check signature for details).

JL wit da JLU

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
1) You have an awful service department. Stop going there. Their mistakes have nothing to do with Jeep.
2) $65,000?! How is that possible? Do you live in Beverly Hills? You overpaid, my friend.
3) A fire extinguisher is always a good idea, but not driving your family because of this recall is silly. Youā€™re listening to the tech who put 6qts of oil in your Jeep? And who canā€™t change an air filter? At the dealership where your overpaid by at least $15k, but probably more?

30,000 trouble free miles and counting over here... awesome service at Fitzpatrickā€™s Jeep in Ansonia, CT. Out the door at just over $40k for a loaded Rubi (check signature for details).

Sorry I rounded up.. 63k after finance and interests, and thatā€™s canadian by the way as Iā€™m in Ontario, Iā€™m sure your 40k which is equal to about 56k here along with not havi it shipped north of the border helped on that...? An if you read the post, I had went to a deferent dealer for the advice on the clutch..? I do appreciate the ignorance tho! Thanks dude!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JL wit da JLU

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
The problem Iā€™m seeing isnā€™t what I paid, or your opinion on the price I paid, but is the fact of as you said, fca service in the area are unable to do there job properly, an when I go else where I am given info by a service manager, that by your standards is silly... so again, I was happy to spend that money on this product 16 months ago, when I thought I was receiving something a little better then the jap crap I had previously... but in my experience so far? Thatā€™s not the case!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'll be honest, I wasn't aware of that but it makes sense if it's safety related
Glad you like your new clutch.
The problem Iā€™m seeing isnā€™t what I paid, or your opinion on the price I paid, but is the fact of as you said, fca service in the area are unable to do there job properly, an when I go else where I am given info by a service manager, that by your standards is silly... so again, I was happy to spend that money on this product 16 months ago, when I thought I was receiving something a little better then the jap crap I had previously... but in my experience so far? Thatā€™s not the case!
Sounds like you've had a bad experience on multiple fronts...sorry to hear that. I'd trade it in and get something else non FCA if it bothers you that much.

Sponsored

Jpat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
One other frustrating aspect of this recall, my manual JL was totalled in march. I cant even shop for a replacement because dealers arent even advertising manuals due to the stop sale/recall. I get they cant sell them, but why remove the listings? I would be fine making a deal now and waiting for the vehicle to get fixed to take delivery.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can ignore opinion on price... you didnā€™t specify $CAD, and you know we Americans assume that weā€™re the only ones who use the internet. Just look at reddit! LOL

It sucks that youā€™ve had nothing but bad service. Iā€™ve had the opposite experience.

I 100% stand by my opinion that listening to a dealership service manager that tells you not to drive your infant is silly. Heā€™s obviously an idiot. 35,000+ manuals on the road. A fraction of a percent have experienced a real issue. Of that fraction one MINOR injury, the nature of which is not detailed by the NHTSA. (Maybe the guy tripped while exiting his smoking vehicle, for all we know.)

Anyway, it sounds like youā€™ve had crap luck and crap service. I get it. I had the same with a Volkswagen years ago. The good news is that resale value holds well, so you can go trade it in for a safe car, like a Toyota: https://www.consumerreports.org/car...t-can-stall-abruptly-while-driving-fuel-pump/ :giggle:

Iā€™m not meaning to sound harsh, so take what Iā€™ve said with a grain of sarcasm.

At the end of the day listen to your own gut and common sense. A service manager at a car dealership is not likely to have better sense than you have...

Roweski

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Sales manager called me today. Says parts won't be available until 4/30. Couldn't say what parts. I'm assuming it's for relocating the harness because he says it's only a 1/2 hour job. Since mine is a new delivery, there wouldn't be any clutch damage. He's trying to find out exactly when he'll actually get the parts.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2dr MT
Test drove & bought a 2020 JL Rubicon 2dr MT on Tuesday evening only to find out that I couldn't take it home because of this recall. Now I'm driving their loaner Grand Cherokee Summit edition until the 30th when they are supposed to fix it & let me take it home. Best info about the recall I've found is in the past few pages of this forum. All of which was just confirmed yesterday by the manager of the dealership. I was a little frustrated at first but they have been pretty accommodating so far and I really like the Jeep.

Now I know why it was so hard to find a manual to buy in my area. I am surprised that none of the 10-15 sales people I talked to over the last week mentioned anything about the recall when I asked if they had any manual transmission Rubicons in stock. Not one! In fact, the 2 salespeople we were working with had no idea until the finance manager said we couldn't take it home.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Test drove & bought a 2020 JL Rubicon 2dr MT on Tuesday evening only to find out that I couldn't take it home because of this recall. Now I'm driving their loaner Grand Cherokee Summit edition until the 30th when they are supposed to fix it & let me take it home. Best info about the recall I've found is in the past few pages of this forum. All of which was just confirmed yesterday by the manager of the dealership. I was a little frustrated at first but they have been pretty accommodating so far and I really like the Jeep.

Now I know why it was so hard to find a manual to buy in my area. I am surprised that none of the 10-15 sales people I talked to over the last week mentioned anything about the recall when I asked if they had any manual transmission Rubicons in stock. Not one! In fact, the 2 salespeople we were working with had no idea until the finance manager said we couldn't take it home.
If you read (anything) on this forum, you're smarter than 90% of Jeep salespeople. When i was looking for mine, i went to 10 different dealers and i knew more than all of them.....and i was just starting out. Dont rely on your salesperson to know anything.
Sponsored