Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If it's any consolation, out of approximately 35000 Jeeps recalled, there were warranty claims for only 35 for this issue.
That is 0.1%. Out of this, I am sure some were for misuse too.
Or, like @Shepherd12 may have, there may have been a contributing problem unrelated to the clutch plate material itself.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anybody been contacted by FCA or their dealership yet to bring it in for the fix or to make the appointment? If anyone gets that communication, please post it up. That will tell the rest of us that the fix is ready and being rolled out.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Has anybody been contacted by FCA or their dealership yet to bring it in for the fix or to make the appointment? If anyone gets that communication, please post it up. That will tell the rest of us that the fix is ready and being rolled out.
I called them about 4 weeks ago and they said I would be getting a letter in mid April. But with lockdowns extended, don't know how much more longer it will get delayed.
But will keep the forum informed should there be any development.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I called them about 4 weeks ago and they said I would be getting a letter in mid April. But with lockdowns extended, don't know how much more longer it will get delayed.
But will keep the forum informed should there be any development.
I signed up for notification on-line. I may give my favorite service advisor a call this week and see what he knows. I need to check in with him, anyway. This Jeep has been so good, I miss talking to him! Lol!

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I signed up for notification on-line. I may give my favorite service advisor a call this week and see what he knows. I need to check in with him, anyway. This Jeep has been so good, I miss talking to him! Lol!
Where did you sign up?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you sign up?
Honestly, I can't remember. I want to say it was a link somewhere in here or a cut/paste from a posted recall document. I just had to enter my email, I believe, to sign up for notification. My plan is still to contact my service advisor to get him to contact me when he hears something.

JSG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
Did you buy new or used? If it was new or bought used from a dealer, the dealership shouldn't have sold you that in the first place - it is against the law.
Yeah, it was new. I am aware, just trying to see my options. Id prefer not to go to court, or lose the jeep. Would like to see if they can add some parts and just fix it and leave it at that.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Yeah, it was new. I am aware, just trying to see my options. Id prefer not to go to court, or lose the jeep. Would like to see if they can add some parts and just fix it and leave it at that.
Yep. Working with the dealership would be a good option, and you have the upper-hand.

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Where did you sign up?
I called 1-800-853-1403. The number on the recall notice. They just said we have your email address. Someone will notify you when parts are available. Guess I'm waiting...only 11K on my 2018...if it goes, it's warrantied. Not much else I can do about it.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I called 1-800-853-1403. The number on the recall notice. They just said we have your email address. Someone will notify you when parts are available. Guess I'm waiting...only 11K on my 2018...if it goes, it's warrantied. Not much else I can do about it.
Thanks!

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Question folks, do you think the updated clutch disc could be as good as a Centerforce clutch? I wouldn't mind purchasing a Centerforce or other aftermarket clutch and asking the dealer if that can go in while the transmission is down instead of the recall clutch.
The only problem is I'm sure even if they agreed to install a clutch I bring in there'd be zero warranty on it.
your opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance and stay safe Steve.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Question folks, do you think the updated clutch disc could be as good as a Centerforce clutch? I wouldn't mind purchasing a Centerforce or other aftermarket clutch and asking the dealer if that can go in while the transmission is down instead of the recall clutch.
The only problem is I'm sure even if they agreed to install a clutch I bring in there'd be zero warranty on it.
your opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance and stay safe Steve.
My opinion is that people are needlessly freaking out about this recall. This thread replaces the “welds are bad” thread that peaked in 2019 and eventually died.

A very few unlucky people are affected by this. The ones who were affected before the recall have it the worst; i.e. the forum member whose Jeep went up in flames. The rest of us should just move on until the recall is ready.

Is your clutch slipping under load? If not, move on. Spending thousands on an aftermarket clutch before your stock one needs replacement is crazy.

I have over 30k miles on my 2018 and it’s a joy to drive. I’m not losing sleep over this, but am checking this thread often to see when a fix is available. (I understand the “fix” may be nothing more than an inspection or moving a wiring harness, and that’s ok.)

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
My opinion is that people are needlessly freaking out about this recall. This thread replaces the “welds are bad” thread that peaked in 2019 and eventually died.

A very few unlucky people are affected by this. The ones who were affected before the recall have it the worst; i.e. the forum member whose Jeep went up in flames. The rest of us should just move on until the recall is ready.

Is your clutch slipping under load? If not, move on. Spending thousands on an aftermarket clutch before your stock one needs replacement is crazy.

I have over 30k miles on my 2018 and it’s a joy to drive. I’m not losing sleep over this, but am checking this thread often to see when a fix is available. (I understand the “fix” may be nothing more than an inspection or moving a wiring harness, and that’s ok.)
Thanks for the response OG, I didn’t know the fix might be just an inspection. I thought the fix required our transmissions to come down. In this case I was wondering if it’d be wise to purchase the best clutch I could buy.
I completely agree with you about not sweating it and my current clutch is fine. I too was amazed at people not using their Jeeps and worrying about them blowing up.
Your post was helpful though. I’ve decided to just enjoy the Jeep, let them do whatever when the recall happens and years down the line if I ever have to change the clutch on my dime then I’ll look into the best one.
Thanks buddy, you be safe.
Best wishes, Steve

JSG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
I spoke to my dealership today. They said they are replacing the entire clutch and waiting for parts.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the response OG, I didn’t know the fix might be just an inspection. I thought the fix required our transmissions to come down. In this case I was wondering if it’d be wise to purchase the best clutch I could buy.
I completely agree with you about not sweating it and my current clutch is fine. I too was amazed at people not using their Jeeps and worrying about them blowing up.
Your post was helpful though. I’ve decided to just enjoy the Jeep, let them do whatever when the recall happens and years down the line if I ever have to change the clutch on my dime then I’ll look into the best one.
Thanks buddy, you be safe.
Best wishes, Steve
Forget the recall, the Centerforce is worth it just for how much better my Jeep drives now. No surging at low speed, no stalling in reverse, you can actually pick an rpm to launch at if you need to jump into traffic, etc... etc... etc...

Then, consider that the recall is bad enough for Jeep to issue a stop sale. My clutch was terribly burned at 37,000 miles, and I'm not a bad driver. I'm more concerned that i may have experienced this failure than i was before replacing the clutch

20200404_183153.jpg

20200404_182431.jpg

20200406_132833.jpg
Sponsored