Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
My clutch has been worked on 3 times, it's still very soft and light, like putting a knife thru butter at a picnic in July in South Carolina! :)

JP18
Curious why it’s been worked on 3 times? Because of the soft clutch?

Mine is light but I’m used to it now. I actually enjoy the way it shifts.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Pretty sure yours is special, mine has about as much resistance as air.
Mine is definitely not like air. Maybe I’m lucky, so I’ll just be quiet.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hopefully FCA gets the part distributed and this taken care of. I've had a dozen manual transmission vehicles in my lifetime and they've all made it to 100k (or close). My last manual transmission was a 2003 mustang terminator. The exhaust was enough to intimidate other drivers. With the Jeep they tailgate and honk if I'm not moving within .0001 second of the light turning green.
COVID19 killed my soon to be purchase of an 03 terminator. Was all set the. Boom goes the dynamite on taking the cash out for the car. I had one a while back. IMO best mustang they built since.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've driven 3 JLs besides mine and all were ridiculously light. My Ram takes some serious muscle to push, my last TJ also took some effort. I definitely prefer a clutch you can feel

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon

The clutch would go to the floor and not come back up. The engagement travel was about 1/2". Right now it's "fixed" (sort'a) but the travel is only about 1 to 1-1/2".

JP18

Sponsored

TeleJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6sp M
Three things I'm going to do until FCA issues parts/repairs:

1. Drive it in 4th/5th instead of 6th on long straight stretches.
2. Drop down into 4L and crawl out of steep tight spots that I would ease out in 2H or 4H. Stop, then engage 2H after getting to less taxing starting position.
3. Be on-guard for any slippage or odors of overheating.

TeleJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6sp M

How could a light clutch pressure result in a system that overrides friction to provide positive engagement of the clutch surfaces when the clutch is engaged? I wonder that as well on my JLU 6-sp. The last vehicle I had with a manual was a 2002 F-150 (5-sp, 4.2L V6 2wd) and its clutch required a bit more pressure to disengage.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
How could a light clutch pressure result in a system that overrides friction to provide positive engagement of the clutch surfaces when the clutch is engaged? I wonder that as well on my JLU 6-sp. The last vehicle I had with a manual was a 2002 F-150 (5-sp, 4.2L V6 2wd) and its clutch required a bit more pressure to disengage.
Well you've got a hydraulic advantage when you stab that clutch pedal....so there can be a lot of variables in the design of a given clutch mechanism....but yeah, I'd expect that once a design is chosen there should be relative consistency across the board....so if some JL clutches are very light and others have a heavier feel all while being properly bled, somethin' ain't right

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I think it also comes down to what you were used to prior to the JL. The inconsistency could really be some feel it to be light while others believe it to be heavier. It’s difficult to tell if the inconsistency is actually a lighter or harder clutch pedal or just people coming from different backgrounds.

I’m also curious to see what FCA does with the fix.

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
That is 100% what i was saying. I agree with you on every word you said. I did buy a 2020 with a manual transmission and it does have a very fragile feel to it. I drove 3 cats prior to this one all with a manual transmission.
i love the jeep but i really wish they would beef up such important components on cars that 95% of the people will be hard on off road and with bigger tires and such... i am really bummed cause my jeep is also affected but it is what it is. Hopefully it will be a different feel afterwards.

I've been following this issue for several months and, quite frankly, it doesn't suprise me much.
I grew up on manual trannys, the first car I ever drove was my moms late '70s Toyota Corolla.... and I pounded the snot out of it. I've had nothing but manual trans cars since (including 2 CJs). A year or so ago, I decided to finally get another Jeep for myself and when I drove a new manual tranny'd Wrangler I was..... underwhelmed. The clutch was (IMHO) too light and had very little feel or feedback. Even compared to the little Saturn sedan I was driving. I expected something designed to be used for offroading would have a more robust, "manly" clutch. To say the least, I was dissapointed. As a motorcycle mechanic, my thoughts drifted to the clutch cylinder ratio and how the light clutch (and lack of a dead pedal) would lead to people inadvertantly "feathering" the clutch while driving, wearing out the clutch faster.
Hopefully (for me anyways) their fix will give it a better feeling clutch.
Oh, what does suprise me tho, is the damage done once they go south. I've abused a lot of manual transmissions in my life and never had one grenade, let alone grenade and burn one of my cars to the ground.

Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Mine in my 2018 JLUR is so light, that after returning from a trip to the UK in Feb where I had a stick rental car, when I returned home, I thought my clutch was busted again!

JP18

singledaddio

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU, 1990 Dodge Dakota
Definitely getting a burning smell from my clutch. My salesman at the dealership texted me today and said they want mine in ASAP. I bought it the day before the recall was announced :/

yj93

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Manual
The only strange behaviour I had with my clutch was a rattle that I would get if I did not give the engine enough RPMs when in first. With the stereo being so loud and then engine so quiet, I have had a hard time always ensuring I was getting enough RPMs. Then again, could be the way the gas pedal responds.

But, I had that noise for about the first 1400 to 1500 miles. Then it went away. During that time, I would occasionally get the burning smell. After the rattle noise went away, so did the smell.

Problem is, I am not a mechanic. I can tool on stuff, but I don't have enough engineering knowledge to understand how that noise relates to the engine/clutch. Just wanted to share my experience.

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody know if Jeep would reimburse you if you buy an aftermarket clutch and do it yourself? I would love to put a centerforce clutch in mine.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The only strange behaviour I had with my clutch was a rattle that I would get if I did not give the engine enough RPMs when in first. With the stereo being so loud and then engine so quiet, I have had a hard time always ensuring I was getting enough RPMs. Then again, could be the way the gas pedal responds.

But, I had that noise for about the first 1400 to 1500 miles. Then it went away. During that time, I would occasionally get the burning smell. After the rattle noise went away, so did the smell.

Problem is, I am not a mechanic. I can tool on stuff, but I don't have enough engineering knowledge to understand how that noise relates to the engine/clutch. Just wanted to share my experience.
Sounds like you were lugging it in first, maybe your manual transmission driving skills improved, and no longer slip the clutch.
Sponsored