Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I took my '18 JLUR into the dealership yesterday and they did their inspection and opened a case with FCA with no hesitation. The dealer said that they could have some parts in the next week or two but can't do anything until the case approved as part of the recall. I'm just waiting now for the FCA to approve my loaner request because neither them or the dealer know how long it will take for parts to arrive.
Parts in the next week or two? I wasn’t aware that Jeep had a fix for this yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I was told parts will be in around April 16th to complete the recall.

ayem-bee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Sport / Mojito
I was wondering how much the push button start plays a factor in this, and the fact that manuals need the clutch pushed in to start the Jeep, instead of the brake pedal. Then I remembered my past two vehicles (Tacoma & JK) needed the clutch pushed in when turning the key.
So, never mind.

EMTJEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Parts in the next week or two? I wasn’t aware that Jeep had a fix for this yet.
The dealer just told me that they can get a replacement parts for the clutch assembly in about 1-2 weeks. I do not know if it is the "official" parts that they can get or if it is just regular replacement parts. According to the recall notice, there is a remedy available but still says parts are not available yet.
Annotation 2020-03-18 082714.jpg

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Some folks here are mistaking warranty repairs with safety recall campaigns. Warranty is for problems specific to your JL and are limited to a certain time and/or mileage. Safety recalls are for problems common in a large number of units. These are generally not limited in time or mileage. I just recently had recall repairs performed on a 2005 Honda (airbag components) obviously well outside any warranty period. If your Jeep is included in this recall, they will perform the repairs, regardless of your mileage.

Also, when they say "when parts are available", they mean parts in sufficient quantities for 30,000 plus JLs affected instead of a few that are having urgent issues now.

Sponsored

kirbyx

First Name
Oot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2018 JL
When FCA replaces the pressure plate, I wonder if they'll replace the clutch plates as well? If not, about how much would a dealer charge for the clutch plates to be replaced at the same time as the pressure plate recall is being done?

belacyrf

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
I was wondering how much the push button start plays a factor in this, and the fact that manuals need the clutch pushed in to start the Jeep, instead of the brake pedal. Then I remembered my past two vehicles (Tacoma & JK) needed the clutch pushed in when turning the key.
So, never mind.
Yea the start/stop functionality works with normal driving conditions. Unless your the type the keep the car in gear while stopped and just holding the clutch down (not good for the throwout bearing). You'd have to depress the clutch anyways to get going again. I think the stop start programming is a bit buggy to be honest, but I guess it's better than wasting fuel.

When FCA replaces the pressure plate, I wonder if they'll replace the clutch plates as well? If not, about how much would a dealer charge for the clutch plates to be replaced at the same time as the pressure plate recall is being done?
I really hope they replace the entire clutch, pressure plate, disc and all. Otherwise, you'll have very interesting engagement / slippage. Clutches & pressure plates basically "wear" together and so a new PP with old friction disc, not good.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, I’m sure if they swap one component they’ll do the rest. Not good practice to swap only one piece of the clutch.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Wow, I've been driving stick for 33 years now and I finally know what occurs when riding the clutch. I never knew you could do that with the clutch half in and gassing it. So that's why my step-father ingrained in me to keep me foot off the clutch pedal and how to properly downshift.
This was my understanding on how to drive stick & I was self taught. I never rode a clutch but I did have to learn to be a touch more ginger than just abruptly releasing the clutch pedal.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Seems to be a lot of “expert” stick shift gurus on this form...

Sponsored

Motocrash

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK, 2020 JLU (incoming)
Occupation
Retired
I've been following this issue for several months and, quite frankly, it doesn't suprise me much.
I grew up on manual trannys, the first car I ever drove was my moms late '70s Toyota Corolla.... and I pounded the snot out of it. I've had nothing but manual trans cars since (including 2 CJs). A year or so ago, I decided to finally get another Jeep for myself and when I drove a new manual tranny'd Wrangler I was..... underwhelmed. The clutch was (IMHO) too light and had very little feel or feedback. Even compared to the little Saturn sedan I was driving. I expected something designed to be used for offroading would have a more robust, "manly" clutch. To say the least, I was dissapointed. As a motorcycle mechanic, my thoughts drifted to the clutch cylinder ratio and how the light clutch (and lack of a dead pedal) would lead to people inadvertantly "feathering" the clutch while driving, wearing out the clutch faster.
Hopefully (for me anyways) their fix will give it a better feeling clutch.
Oh, what does suprise me tho, is the damage done once they go south. I've abused a lot of manual transmissions in my life and never had one grenade, let alone grenade and burn one of my cars to the ground.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
All the guys saying to clutch is too light must look like this:

upload_2020-3-22_11-59-18.jpeg

Maybe I got a special Jeep, but my clutch has felt fine from day one.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully FCA gets the part distributed and this taken care of. I've had a dozen manual transmission vehicles in my lifetime and they've all made it to 100k (or close). My last manual transmission was a 2003 mustang terminator. The exhaust was enough to intimidate other drivers. With the Jeep they tailgate and honk if I'm not moving within .0001 second of the light turning green.