Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I've known people who have driven clutches for many years but with bad technique. They tend to run through clutches. I've seen others that go 150k on the original. Those folks getting 150k+ are very unlikely to see this thing overheat, again, unless there is a problem.
Dan, as a member here for more than two years I have to say that I always enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for always being a voice of reason and for taking the time and effort to impart wisdom gained through experience. The knee-jerk ā€œFCA sucks! The sky is falling!ā€ replies are exhausting.

Oh, and I do believe you hit the nail on the head, here. I have a few family members who ā€œhave been driving manuals for 30 years!ā€ that completely suck at it.

Iā€™m approaching 32k miles and have had no issues, myself. (I did let my 16 year old smoke the clutch a few times practicing hill starts with the nanny feature turned off. No Iā€™ll effect that Iā€™m aware of.)

A handful of failures out of 33,000 vehicles is hardly a reason for people to panic, though I fully acknowledge how badly the situation sucks for those affected.
Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You may be right but I do find it strange that they're multiple members on this forum also getting a burnt clutch smell in 3rd gear. Either we all have bad shifting habits or something is up.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
You may be right but I do find it strange that they're multiple members on this forum also getting a burnt clutch smell in 3rd gear. Either we all have bad shifting habits or something is up.
Something very well could be up, especially if a pattern emerges. There really shouldn't be any slipping or significant heat generated in a 3-4 shift. However, there are people out there who will slip the clutch even changing higher gears. I do think there is always the possibility that something is not aligned or adjusted correctly on some of them. But it doesn't appear common and I've only heard of those complaints since the recall, which may have just heightened awareness. I can tell you that if I smelled that during a 3-4 shift, ever, mine would have been at the dealership immediately. It isn't normal, except with bad technique.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Something very well could be up, especially if a pattern emerges. There really shouldn't be any slipping or significant heat generated in a 3-4 shift. However, there are people out there who will slip the clutch even changing higher gears. I do think there is always the possibility that something is not aligned or adjusted correctly on some of them. But it doesn't appear common and I've only heard of those complaints since the recall, which may have just heightened awareness. I can tell you that if I smelled that during a 3-4 shift, ever, mine would have been at the dealership immediately. It isn't normal, except with bad technique.
Thanks Dan for all of your responses; you caused me to breath a sigh of relief. Iā€™ve read many of your posts especially the one where you talked about heavy duty mudding on the KO2 post with your 35ā€™s. I deduced if anyone could be having clutch problems; you would surely experience it.

I was concerned because I plan on renting a 2k lb., maybe heavier, wood chipper and towing it to my house up a considerable incline. I feel much more confident that someone else has put their Jeep through this and easily survived.

Your explanation of the proper methods to drive a manual are spot on. Iā€™ve driven with many people who donā€™t have the required coordination to consistently drive without any jerking or slippage when engaging the clutch from a standstill and between shifts. A good method for anybody that wants to become expertly proficient at this is to watch your passenger out of the corner of your eyes when you shift. If they jerk forward or backward when you are shifting; youā€™re doing it incorrectly and not as smooth as it should be. When you can shift as smoothly as if you had an automatic; youā€™ve got it figured out and your clutch will thank you.

There still could be problems; as always an improper factory build process or improperly manufactured parts could be involved. As you stated if youā€™re not abusing the clutch and youā€™re getting slippage this is not normal and should be returned to the dealer.

Last edited:

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I just got the notice as well but have had zero problems with my manual with 23k miles on it. I'm honestly a little worried that dealerships and their inconsistent service departments can work on my transmission without messing something else up, especially since most of them couldn't install a steering stabilizer correctly by simply looking at an arrow pointing to which way it should face on the Jeep. God forbid they open up my transmission and start replacing parts.
My sentiments are with you. I'm not sure who trains their mechanics or even if they have any training. I won't even have my dealership change my oil. I buy the recommended formula from Amazon per FCA specs and keep the receipts. Regarding steering damper, I bought my own FCA part from Mopar and installed on 10 minutes.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This video shows a habit that I would think would make this problem rear its ugly head and overheat the pressure plate. If we didn't have the issue with the pressure plate, it would simply result in much faster wear on the clutch.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
This video shows a habit that I would think would make this problem rear its ugly head and overheat the pressure plate. If we didn't have the issue with the pressure plate, it would simply result in much faster wear on the clutch.

Wow, I've been driving stick for 33 years now and I finally know what occurs when riding the clutch. I never knew you could do that with the clutch half in and gassing it. So that's why my step-father ingrained in me to keep me foot off the clutch pedal and how to properly downshift.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Good video. I like that it was clearly done in the UK, but narrated by an American. Maybe Brits think our accent is official sounding, the way we think theirs is? Hmmm.

Now pardon me whilst I move on from that observation...

Iā€™ve never witnessed anyone ride the clutch as portrayed in that video, but have seen LOTS of people ride it while up-shifting. They donā€™t take their foot off the throttle and then slip the clutch with each shift to smooth it out. You can hear the dummies with ā€œstancedā€ Civics do it; itā€™s a distinctive sound that makes me cringe.

Then thereā€™s the people who slip the clutch on down shifts to make use of engine braking. Iā€™m guilty of that, sometimes... like dropping to second to take a sharp turn and then slipping out the clutch to slow down and smooth the transition. I know how to rev match and I do, but some bad habits die hard.

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I just called to pit me on the list but they said they wont start a lost before they send out official recall notice in the mail. Is that true for everyone or is my dealer lying to me?

And also if my car burns down, will i get it replaced? I donā€™t wanna repay for my mods!

this is all crazy!

Just saw this:

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-124

Recall Date: March 3, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:

In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

SAFETY RISK:

If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

REMEDY:

The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.

RECALL STATUS:

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:

For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

More info:

Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 1.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 2.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 3.png

Sponsored

EMTJEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just called to pit me on the list but they said they wont start a lost before they send out official recall notice in the mail. Is that true for everyone or is my dealer lying to me?

And also if my car burns down, will i get it replaced? I donā€™t wanna repay for my mods!

this is all crazy!
I took my '18 JLUR into the dealership yesterday and they did their inspection and opened a case with FCA with no hesitation. The dealer said that they could have some parts in the next week or two but can't do anything until the case approved as part of the recall. I'm just waiting now for the FCA to approve my loaner request because neither them or the dealer know how long it will take for parts to arrive.

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
Every single manual in the JL/JLU line is affected.

Anyone know at this point if it is still safe to drive?

Someone posted pictures of pieces shooting through their engine. Just trying to figure out. Lucky for me, I have another vehicle to drive if I need too.

As a note, I have smelt the burning smell coming from the clutch, and thought it was because it was new. Now, I am beginning to wonder.

From the info spreading via sites like this, it's a "hit and miss" but mostly hits. Some are smelling clutch burn - some don't. I would worry that even if I'm not smelling "clutch burn" there is a problem. The bottom line is, there is a problem and the way my luck normally goes, I would get the "problem child".
Having said this, I just got off the phone with my dealer - who knows nothing and isn't any real help. I also have a contact person at the corporate office - again no real help, I'm leaving messages.

I can deal with the facts and the truth, what will get me to pull my order is typical run around and B.S. If Chrysler would tell me "

The news I'm getting is, because of the recall, there will be a delay, because of the virus there is a delay, because some parts are coming from China/Mexico there is a delay. .....just tell me when you can start building my jeep.

As mentioned from another, all of this crap is killing my "New Vehicle Joy". I've spent countless hours looking at "goodies/toys" I want to put on my new Jeep, but held off.

Hang in there buddy, we are all in the same boat.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I've spent countless hours looking at "goodies/toys" I want to put on my new Jeep, but held off.
From the way things are going I think that you made a wise decision. With all the uncertainties I wonder if they could give you a firm date.

Later,
Johnny

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw this:

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-124

Recall Date: March 3, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:

In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

SAFETY RISK:

If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

REMEDY:

The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.

RECALL STATUS:

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:

For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

More info:

Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 1.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 2.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 3.png
6083D7F8-A506-4676-A5FF-8A3A8DC4B868.jpeg
Sponsored