Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Update regarding my previous posts about "fake shifts":

My Jeep is in the shop waiting on a new clutch. Apparently I was too stupid to realize my clutch was slipping. Thanks to everybody who pointed this out. The slipping was progressively getting worse and more common, and with this recall I didn't feel quite safe driving it around.

I feel like I dodged a bullet.
Warranty claim, I hope?
Sponsored

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
Does anyone know if 1100° is within a normal operating temperature for a pressure plate and clutch?

If so, then to 4 lows point above, If there’s a 1% defect rate in the pressure plate component, they should be traceable to batches/lots and vehicles. If 1100 degrees is not within normal operating temperature, then the related question becomes what’s causing the excess heat? Is it a master slave cylinder issue, is it a poor clutch/pressure plate performance issue, or what?

Anything above 500 will soften the metal and above 700F will permanently change the properties of the steel.

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
Warranty claim, I hope?
I haven't heard specifically, but I haven't made any modifications that would void it. If they ask me to pay I'll ask why. I'm also well under the miles for the FCA drivetrain warranty.

They are providing a rental free of charge so I assume it's a warranty issue, if it's not covered by the recall.

hmz236

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I wonder if they feel like the electrical bundle played a greater role in the fires than previously thought. Otherwise I see no reason why they'd move it. Perhaps they think that the heat is causing the wires nearby to melt and short to the chassis which starts a fire or heats components to the point that they explode from there?

I also wonder if the "recall" of all manuals is to move the electrical bundle primarily, which they know is a problem for all of them if these parts eventually wear out and create this or a similar heat condition, as all clutches someday could, and from there they've isolated lots or batches of the pressure plate or the slave cylinder that are problematic that will be replaced when the trucks are brought in to have the electrical bundle moved. Otherwise, the high concentration of fires being from 2018 models and the ability to even estimate these at 1% make no sense if they don't have an idea of what's going on more than just literally all manuals.
If this is the case props to FCA for addressing any issues that may come up in the future from clutch wear and tear.
Either way I'm sure moving that electrical harness out of the way will reduce the number of fire incidents.
Not saying it still couldn't happen as I haven't taken a good look under there to see if there are any fuel lines running near there.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Moving some wires covers their asses, that's all. "Yes, your clutch might still slip, overheat, prematurely wear out or blow up, but, it probably won't cause a fire, maybe." If Jeeps aren't spontaneously combusting, then it'll fly under the radar and since clutches are wear items, they can just claim operator error/abuse.

Well played FCA. Well played.

Sponsored

belacyrf

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Update regarding my previous posts about "fake shifts":

My Jeep is in the shop waiting on a new clutch. Apparently I was too stupid to realize my clutch was slipping. Thanks to everybody who pointed this out. The slipping was progressively getting worse and more common, and with this recall I didn't feel quite safe driving it around.

I feel like I dodged a bullet.
I am really glad you found out what was going on, b/c the whole "fake shift" thing being ecu driven was killing me lol

Hopefully they replace your clutch under warranty, typically they do not as the clutch is "wear" item and you can easily burn out a clutch disk by slipping your clutch too much at engagement.

Just to help, look up "planetary gear transmission" vs "manual clutch transmission" you'll see the clutches are not even close to the same ;)

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
I haven't heard specifically, but I haven't made any modifications that would void it. If they ask me to pay I'll ask why. I'm also well under the miles for the FCA drivetrain warranty.

They are providing a rental free of charge so I assume it's a warranty issue, if it's not covered by the recall.
Clutch discs are only covered 12 months 12,000 miles. With the recall looming I'm sure they will warranty it.

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
Clutch discs are only covered 12 months 12,000 miles. With the recall looming I'm sure they will warranty it.
I bought my Jeep on 03/18/2019, and I have 11K on it. It seems like I picked the perfect time to take it in.

Reactions: N75

RastaPasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Man, I brought mine in for an oil change today... not a peep from the service department about this issue.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Funny they haven't done it yet and some are already complaining. Wait and see. The first step has been taken, and it was the biggest one. Step 2 will be the solution. Step 3 will be production and distribution, and step 4 will be the fix. I see nothing in the recall documentation to indicate they won't replace it under warranty. Relax. There are PLENTY of other things in the world to worry about right now.

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Jeep char said outright it’s safe to drive. I’m fine with that. I took a screenshot. I’m happy they are addressing the problem and owning up to whether we should hang up the keys.

I’ll skip having the kid in there for now but at least I know my family is set if I go out in a blaze of FCA glory.

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
Jeep char said outright it’s safe to drive. I’m fine with that. I took a screenshot. I’m happy they are addressing the problem and owning up to whether we should hang up the keys.

I’ll skip having the kid in there for now but at least I know my family is set if I go out in a blaze of FCA glory.

THATS the spirt of adventure we’d expect from a wrangler owner.:)
And looking out for the children is the responsible thing to do. And, if you’re young and in good health, some term life insurance might be a good idea. If fact, may I take out a policy also? I wish you all the best, but a small monthly premium on a large term life policy might help recover this past weeks losses in the market.:)

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
THATS the spirt of adventure we’d expect from a wrangler owner.:)
And looking out for the children is the responsible thing to do. And, if you’re young and in good health, some term life insurance might be a good idea. If fact, may I take out a policy also? I wish you all the best, but a small monthly premium on a large term life policy might help recover this past weeks losses in the market.:)
There's nothing funnier than a joke about a father of young children dying. Well done. Bravo.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Funny they haven't done it yet and some are already complaining. Wait and see. The first step has been taken, and it was the biggest one. Step 2 will be the solution. Step 3 will be production and distribution, and step 4 will be the fix. I see nothing in the recall documentation to indicate they won't replace it under warranty. Relax. There are PLENTY of other things in the world to worry about right now.

Don’t forget steps 5-8 for return to dealer when work isn’t completed right and then another recall on the replacement parts they use for this recall. Wonder if they’ll put the clutch in backwards like the SS’s...

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
There's nothing funnier than a joke about a father of young children dying. Well done. Bravo.
I personally wasn’t joking. The risk is small but my wife and I are docs and need both cars so We can drive to corona town.

I genuinely try to make sure if anything bad happens the fam is taken care of. Jeep said Jack about what to do in he meantime on the recall so at least I have it in writing that they said safe to drive.

Again. Small risk but fam cared for.

39D6EA29-9385-4C68-A2DD-0C2D20ED9DE3.jpeg
Sponsored