Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Wow, now that's a major recall! Feel terrible for you MT guys & gals, I'd imagine this is going to take awhile to ramp up, and the repair alone is going to set FCA back a ton of equity (and goodwill for current & future customers) :(

Blonson

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JL WRANGLER
Vehicle Showcase
Picked my '18 JL m/t from the shop today after they looked into loose steering and "vibrations" for the fourth time. I told them about this new notice. They weren't aware of it yet. As far as the loose steering goes, they said they found loose front and rear suspensions bolts and that they tightened them. Will have to see if it makes a difference on my commute home tonight.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Ya know, I've loved my Jeeps for years. Had my JKU for over 10 years. Other than normal service and wear and tear never had a problem and it always got me home. I bought my JLU with the intention of having it a long time. I'm starting to think it's going to get traded sooner than later for something NOT an FCA product.
You should have purchased from a reliable brand like Honda, then.

Oh, wait... https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30899088/honda-odyssey-recall-fire-danger/

Well, there’s always Toyota. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30997060/2020-toyota-recall-camry-avalon-rav4-engine-cracks/

Oops, no.

Ford?
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/ford-recalls-500k-pickups-post-crash-interior-fire/story?id=67709024

I hate to tell you this, but all automobile manufacturers have safety recalls, and many of those include risk of fire.

This, too, shall pass.

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Should be interesting... was kinda hoping a 2020 they’d have the recalls figured out. Apparently not.

Blonson

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JL WRANGLER
Vehicle Showcase
Ya know, I've loved my Jeeps for years. Had my JKU for over 10 years. Other than normal service and wear and tear never had a problem and it always got me home. I bought my JLU with the intention of having it a long time. I'm starting to think it's going to get traded sooner than later for something NOT an FCA product.
I'm thinking the same thing. Would have leased it if I had known it would have so many issues. I planned on owning it for 10-15 years. Now I have a bad feeling that as soon as it goes out of warranty it is going to have all sorts of issues.

Sponsored

yj93

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Manual
I got on FCA Chat and asked if it was safe to drive. This was the canned response

Thank you for holding Eric. This recall was issued to address a potential for clutch assembly overheating. Customer feedback prompted an FCA investigation that identified a potential for excessive clutch-component friction and subsequent overheating. If this condition occurs, it may cause a vehicle's clutch to slip, potentially leading to propulsion loss. Should you notice any issues with the clutch operating, or have any concerns, please contact your dealership.
Read into that what you will.

And, I have no plans on getting rid of B.O.B. (Big Orange Box). Most fun vehicle I have to drive. Just don't want it to catch fire before this gets fixed.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It sounds like the Clutch Pressure plate doesn't have enough clamping force ( weak springs) allowing the clutch disc to slip against the flywheel , creating heat, lots of heat.
The Low- Bid suppliers, lack of Quality Testing, systemic problems that will cost far more to remedy, than to have avoided by QUALITY CONTROL.
All of the vehicle manufacturers are having these issues, Toyota's Fuel pumps ( almost 2 MILLION) , Kia's catching fire, Subaru Class Action Lawsuit for defective windshields, the Bean Counters are not paying attention to the COST TO REMEDY their Low- Bidder approach.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I don’t have a choice at the moment. I need my car for work. So I guess worst case I die but my wife and kid are set for life after the lawsuit.

that said I didn’t see anything on NHTSA about any injuries attributed to this.

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
It sounds like the Clutch Pressure plate doesn't have enough clamping force ( weak springs) allowing the clutch disc to slip against the flywheel , creating heat, lots of heat.
The Low- Bid suppliers, lack of Quality Testing, systemic problems that will cost far more to remedy, than to have avoided by QUALITY CONTROL.
All of the vehicle manufacturers are having these issues, Toyota's Fuel pumps ( almost 2 MILLION) , Kia's catching fire, Subaru Class Action Lawsuit for defective windshields, the Bean Counters are not paying attention to the COST TO REMEDY their Low- Bidder approach.

The Bean Counters need to watch more Fight Club.
Sponsored