Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s Sport, 2001 TJ, 1989 xj
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I posted the internal FCA document on this in my post from a bit earlier (bottom of first page in thread)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recall-only-48-hours-after-purchasing-new-jl.47886/
All manual JL's and JT's are affected. However, it sounds like not everyone is getting a burning smell in practice. But you should just do a quick search and see how many JL's have caught fire prior to this recall before you make a decision.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fire-result-of-transmission-failure.46100/
I personally am still using mine, but if I had to drive kids strapped into car seats I probably wouldn't use the jeep. I can jump out pretty quick, but trying to unbuckle a child is a different story.
Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
I just got the notice as well but have had zero problems with my manual with 23k miles on it. I'm honestly a little worried that dealerships and their inconsistent service departments can work on my transmission without messing something else up, especially since most of them couldn't install a steering stabilizer correctly by simply looking at an arrow pointing to which way it should face on the Jeep. God forbid they open up my transmission and start replacing parts.

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s Sport, 2001 TJ, 1989 xj
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
God forbid they open up my transmission and start replacing parts.
They will not be opening up the trans, they just have to remove the transmission and replace the clutch. But I still do understand your trepidation.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Just got that myself. All JL MT 2018-2020.

JP18

Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
... I honestly think wearing heavy jeans and some serious boots (vs shorts and flip flops) would be pretty dang reasonable as well. ...
I agree on the boots, but hot metal that can fly through the floorboard doesn't care about denim. If this is a worry, get Kevlar jeans or armored pants that the motorcyclists wear. I don't disagree with your sentiment, I just don't want anyone mistaking heavy denim for any kind of protection.

Personally, I'll drive it as normal, since I've never had any issue to date. I'm more frustrated because I was planning to go to a centerforce clutch, but now I can't or my vin will show unresolved recall. Boo.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Dear Moderator, would you be able to fix the headline of this topic to:
FCA W12 (NTHS 20V-124) Safety Recall on 2018-2020 JL MT

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I wonder what it would entail.
An entire clutch assembly replacement?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I agree on the boots, but hot metal that can fly through the floorboard doesn't care about denim. If this is a worry, get Kevlar jeans or armored pants that the motorcyclists wear. I don't disagree with your sentiment, I just don't want anyone mistaking heavy denim for any kind of protection.

Personally, I'll drive it as normal, since I've never had any issue to date. I'm more frustrated because I was planning to go to a centerforce clutch, but now I can't or my vin will show unresolved recall. Boo.
Why would this stop you? Wait a week or 2 until FCA provides the recall fix, have the free fix applied by a dealer and then have your centerforce clutch installed that will prob cost close to $3k with parts & labor.

Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Why would this stop you? Wait a week or 2 until FCA provides the recall fix, have the free fix applied by a dealer and then have your centerforce clutch installed that will prob cost close to $3k with parts & labor.
I didn't mean stop, I meant delay. I agree that wasn't clear in my post.

Gasguzzler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler sport 2dr
I wonder what it would entail.
An entire clutch assembly replacement?
I would imagine that it would be a new clutch assembly. Replacing just the pressure plate while reusing the clutch and throwout bearing just doesn't seem like a good idea to. I have always replaced the whole assembly when replacing a clutch in the past.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This sucks.....well, not that i needed something like "maybe i'll catch on fire today" to worry about - lol
Sponsored