Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Just saw this:

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-124

Recall Date: March 3, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:

In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

SAFETY RISK:

If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

REMEDY:

The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.

RECALL STATUS:

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:

For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

More info:

Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 1.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 2.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 3.png
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

JW12

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Financial Services
Just received via email.

JW12

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Here is the info.

CF38BCD9-F776-4821-B308-9DBE6476533E.jpeg

yj93

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Manual
Every single manual in the JL/JLU line is affected.

Anyone know at this point if it is still safe to drive?

Someone posted pictures of pieces shooting through their engine. Just trying to figure out. Lucky for me, I have another vehicle to drive if I need too.

As a note, I have smelt the burning smell coming from the clutch, and thought it was because it was new. Now, I am beginning to wonder.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Every single manual in the JL/JLU is affected.

Someone posted pictures of pieces shooting through their engine. Just trying to figure out. Lucky for me, I have another vehicle to drive if I need too.

As a note, I have smelt the burning smell coming from the clutch, and thought it was because it was new. Now, I am beginning to wonder.
Make a appointment sooner then later. At least you will be at the front of the line for parts.

Sponsored

JW12

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Every single manual in the JL/JLU is affected.

I’m interested to know if it is safe to drive as well. Like you, I’m fortunate to have another car to drive.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
Every single manual in the JL/JLU line is affected.

Wait -- Seriously? EVERY manual JL and JT? I haven't received anything yet.....

yj93

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Manual

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT

Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I got no notice directly but the mopar recall site has my jeep on the list. Not sure there is anything to do right now since "Remedy not yet available."
Yep! Nothing to do right now. This cluster f#%k should be interesting. My Ford had an outstanding recall for two years while waiting for parts.

yj93

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Manual
Yep! Nothing to do right now. This cluster f#%k should be interesting. My Ford had an outstanding recall for two years while waiting for parts.
Seems like, you roll the dice on this one. People make it 30k miles others make it 98.

Only time will tell.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Check out this link.

If you don't trust the hyperlink. Here is the full blown link.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

Enter your vin. Read, go into shock, read it again, cry, read it again... curl up in fetal position.
Why should I go into shock and cry? It’s far more likely that I’ll be injured or killed in an accident than because of this recall. I’m going to go about my business as usual, and when the fix is ready I’ll go claim my brand new, free clutch after having logged close to 40k miles on the original.

I did go ahead and order an elementfire.com extinguisher as cheap insurance. (Truth be told, I was looking for a good excuse to buy one of those, anyway.)

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Ya know, I've loved my Jeeps for years. Had my JKU for over 10 years. Other than normal service and wear and tear never had a problem and it always got me home. I bought my JLU with the intention of having it a long time. I'm starting to think it's going to get traded sooner than later for something NOT an FCA product.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Why should I go into shock and cry? It’s far more likely that I’ll be injured or killed in an accident than because of this recall. I’m going to go about my business as usual, and when the fix is ready I’ll go claim my brand new, free clutch after having logged close to 40k miles on the original.

I did go ahead and order an elementfire.com extinguisher as cheap insurance. (Truth be told, I was looking for a good excuse to buy one of those, anyway.)
This was my first thought as well. I’m going to drive it like I stole it til they give me a new one.
Sponsored