Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

DuramaxJack3d

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ocean Blue, 1989 Jeep Comanche 1ton, 1971 M35A2 Bobbed 46s, 2008 Buell Xb12R, 2017 KLR650, 1976 KZ900 Ltd
Agree there was more to the OP than cup holders. But my secondary take away was that his pen and rewards pass on the passenger seem to fare way better than the front half of the JL.
Haha, unfortunately I think the insurance took that rewards card when they took the Jeep to investigate it.... now I’m pissed, I know I had at least $0.10 off my next coffee.
Sponsored

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
If you smelled the clutch when you were first learning, you probably glazed the friction disc before it was broken in. This will significantly reduce it's holding torque, which is probably why your clutch is slipping now.

Most automatics (I'm not talking about dual clutch automatics) don't have a clutch in the sense a manual transmission does. They have a torque converter which works on the principles of fluid dynamics (and possibly a mechanical lock engaged at higher RPM). The clutch packs (and bands) inside an automatic transmission are for changing gears, not controlling power delivery from the engine. What you describe as a "fake shift" is a normal down shift.
Good info on the friction disc. I'm going to try and get the dealer to look at it today.

I didn't know that automatics don't have a clutch per se. That actually kind of makes sense.

I was only calling it a "fake shift" in reference to what was happening in my manual. I know that it would actually downshift in an automatic.

(correction: what I thought was happening in my manual)

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I bet they're going to give VERY few people new clutches. They're going to ask us to schedule an appt to semi look at clutches and make us wait all day to essentially tell us we've made it awhile without a fire...nothing is needed.

Reactions: zyt

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
I bet they're going to give VERY few people new clutches. They're going to ask us to schedule an appt to semi look at clutches and make us wait all day to essentially tell us we've made it awhile without a fire...nothing is needed.
33,000 clutches/pressure plates, even at a modest $1500 for each set would be $50 million bucks.

I’m sure FCA would rather bet on only three or four or five people getting killed, at say $1 or 2 million settlement each. Yup.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
33,000 clutches/pressure plates, even at a modest $1500 for each set would be $50 million bucks.

I’m sure FCA would rather bet on only three or four or five people getting killed, at say $1 or 2 million settlement each. Yup.

$1500 isn't modest at all at warranty reimbursement rates. I'd guess it'll be closer to half that.

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
$1500 isn't modest at all at warranty reimbursement rates. I'd guess it'll be closer to half that.
I was spit balling it based on aftermarket parts.

Do you think clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, dealership labor to drop tranny, remove & replace parts, re assemble and re-rout electrical harness being moved can all be done for $750 for all parts, labor, etc? That seems low to me but I’m just spitballing.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
If it's at current costs(most likely to go down) it would be around $1000. The costs will be passed on to the manufacturer of the clutch. It doesnt fall on FCA alone.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I was spit balling it based on aftermarket parts.

Do you think clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, dealership labor to drop tranny, remove & replace parts, re assemble and re-rout electrical harness being moved can all be done for $750 for all parts, labor, etc? That seems low to me but I’m just spitballing.

Not at normal dealer rates, which is why it's so hard to get some dealers to take care of these things. Mine wouldn't even do a Jeep Wave oil change because FCA doesn't pay them enough. My dealer wants $1875 labor to change a clutch (won't be getting that from me).

Sponsored

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not at normal dealer rates, which is why it's so hard to get some dealers to take care of these things. Mine wouldn't even do a Jeep Wave oil change because FCA doesn't pay them enough. My dealer wants $1875 labor to change a clutch (won't be getting that from me).

For an NHTSA Safety Recall, FCA must also file status of repair reports. If they won’t pay dealers enough to get them done, they will be in deeper doo doo with NHTSA. Look up “related documents” on the NHTSA web site for the JL safety recalls. All the status of repair reports are there.
Here is a Sample report below :

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCLQRT-18V675-7928.PDF

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
In the FCA report, it said that the Supplier tested the pressure plates, and found it WASN'T an ignition source ; FCA tests showed it WAS an ignition source, so it might be a batch issue, not across the board, hence the 1% of total manual transmission pressure plate units needing placement .
The SLAVE CYLINDER inclusion would complicate matters, will be curious to see what the final cause is. I used to love manual transmissions....

Screenshot_20200312-214948.jpg

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the FCA report, it said that the Supplier tested the pressure plates, and found it WASN'T an ignition source ; FCA tests showed it WAS an ignition source, so it might be a batch issue, not across the board, hence the 1% of total manual transmission pressure plate units needing placement .
The SLAVE CYLINDER inclusion would complicate matters, will be curious to see what the final cause is. I used to love manual transmissions....

Screenshot_20200312-214948.jpg

Agree it may be a small % of pressure plates that crack/fracture/frag under excess friction or heat. But what’s causing excess heat ? Docs say customers may smell burning material or feel slippage before failure. A faulty master cylinder may prevent a clutch from fully engaging. Many have questioned the delicate feel, small design of the JL clutch assembly. Seems like there’s already been an abnormal number of clutch problems and premature wear. I think this clutch issue is going to be a sticky one, no pun intended.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
My clutch has often felt a bit off, but after two dealer visits, regarding this, they claim it's normal. But in damp or rainy mornings, releasing the clutch pedal in first gear has a jittery feel to it,...not sure how best to describe it, but it sort of slips and grabs quickly, repeatedly. It's a peculiar feeling, hard to describe, and random, so I cant reproduce all the time. Not knowing exactly how the mechanics work, does this sound like something the pressure plate could be doing?

I was happy about this when I thought things would get replaced...less happy now that I think I'll go in, and once again just be told it's normal.

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
Just read this from Autoblog. Says the pressure plate can reach 1100 degrees and become a primary source to start a fire. My July 18 built JLU seems just fine. Best driving manual I have ever daily had of many. But if your clutch is slipping you should be aware.

From Autoblog:

According to documents from the National Highway Safety Administration, Jeep will recall a total of 33,237 of its 2018-2020 Wrangler SUVs and 2020 Gladiator pickup trucks equipped with manual transmissions due to clutch pressure plates that could overheat and fracture. That could lead to a fire, cause the vehicle to lose its ability to move, or result in debris that could damage other nearby components or fall onto the road. As you can imagine, none of those outcomes is good.

The recall covers Wranglers built between August 23, 2017, until the issue was discovered on February 13, 2020, and Gladiators built from December 21, 2018, until February 20, 2020. According to NHTSA's documentation (PDF link), Fiat Chrysler engineers were able to re-create the problem in the lab and found that the pressure plate can reach 1,100 degrees Celsius, which is hot enough for it to be "a competent ignition source."
Sponsored