Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
can someone post a pic of the bleed valve, or describe where it is? I got the recall done but I want to bleed it myself. I believe the dealer didn't bleed it and its faster and easier to do it myself than go back to the dealer and start arguing with them.
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
can someone post a pic of the bleed valve, or describe where it is? I got the recall done but I want to bleed it myself. I believe the dealer didn't bleed it and its faster and easier to do it myself than go back to the dealer and start arguing with them.
it's not only the bleeding, you might need the whole thing replaced.........

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Bringing my update from my saga Over here...
Jeep went in 6/11/20.
-Dealer told me they were waiting on parts- No ETA.
-Called the following 2 weeks, same thing.
-Week 3- Had parts (slave cylinder), they were going to get it together and do the test, then get it back to me.
-They did the test,told me it was ready. I show up at the dealer last Wednesday, clutch pedal goes to the floor and doesn't come back as they're moving it. They say they have to investigate and will call me.
-Get a call the following day, advised the master cylinder failed. It would be Mon/Tues to hopefully get it back for me.
-Called yesterday, advised no parts and no ETA, AGAIN.

Sent a PM to JeepCares around 4pm.
Talked to Brandi on Jeep chat- here's where it gets good: she informed me:
Parts (Master cylinder) are on a restriction, Dealership is only allowed to order 1 every 7 days, and there may be a wait list. This was not communicated to me by my dealer.

Called Jeep customer service and spoke with Sergio. Explained my situation. I was polite, but did not back down, expressed my frustration, and the fact that I'm questioning if I want to keep doing business with Chrysler since no one can give me any sort of timeline as to when I will have my Jeep back. Told him my 3/36 warranty is essentially useless- because with an open ended timeline, I could be waiting for 6 months of that 3 years, and as I was previously told I could submit for POSSIBLE reimbursement, it would not be guaranteed. While I understand there is a pandemic going on, and parts may be short, it's absolutely insane to have to wait this long, and have no ETA. I could order something aftermarket, and have a better quality, more robust and longer lasting product on my doorstep in no less than 3 days, and I could do the repair myself in roughly the same time, and I would have been up and running 3 weeks ago. He advised me that if i didn't have a loaner, a case could be submitted for possible reimbursement- but that would be up to another team, who I couldn't speak with. He offered someone from the management team, and I spoke with Paige. She is going to talk to her management team and see if there is anything they can do, and will follow up with me tomorrow. I advised them it's almost been a full 30 days, and I'll be speaking to a legal counsel/ advisor to see what my options are from here later today.

The reps were all helpful and understanding- and they were able to get me most of the information I asked for, which was nice. But this is getting ridiculous. I'm going to talk to my dealer later- ask them about a wait list, and see if they'll tell me where I am on said list. I'm also going to talk to a legal counsel/advisor and see what my options are in terms of getting this sorted now vs. whenever Chrysler's star line figures out what they're supposed to be doing. if anything, a letter from a lawyer may hold more weight than just some pissed off consumer who didn't opt for any of the additional warranties (exact;y for this reason) and didn't finance through FCA.

Maybe this is just a huge frustrating lesson and I have to just wait it out. They'll probably tell me to go F myself, which- ok fine, shame on me for giving this a shot. The truly interesting thing will be the NEXT recall, and when I complete the work/ have the work completed elsewhere, what will happen? Will I actually get reimbursed? Or will I be told to go F myself again?

Regardless, I think I'm done with dealers, warranties, and dealing with FCA corporate. if this all yields nothing, I may have to pull the clout card: let them know I'm active on several different Jeep and offroad communities, several with member counts into the thousands (one group with 30k+). I hate to be that guy, but this is beyond stupid. If I can put the word out and let others in the same position I'm in know what I did, I want it to be known so others can get this sorted as well.,

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
I’m dropping my Jeep of on Friday night and confirmed with two different people that they have the parts (sleeve) in stock.

The 2nd guy mentioned they’ve done around 100 of these and they haven’t seen anything requiring a clutch replacement yet so fingers crossed that I’ll be picking my Jeep up on Saturday but reading through some of the nightmares people are going through here does have me worried.

Sponsored

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
Had mine done, It just took a couple hours. Sleeve installed, but I'm not sure if hose was replaced. I think bleeding it was worthwhile as it's easier to drive, hope it holds up. It says reeservoir test, not sure what kind of test they applied.

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
Just picked mine up after dropping off last night - they installed sleeve and bled the line.

I think the clutch feels better, but can’t tell if it’s just in my head...

anyway it was pretty quick/hassle free thankfully.

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I just had this recall done at my dealer that had the sleeves in stock. They claim it passed the test, and only installed the sleeve and bled the line. The receipt said no bubbles were found in the line. Dealer had it for about 4 hours. I'm guessing the entire process took around 2 hours.

Clutch travel feels the same and it is still feather light, but I have noticed when rev match down shifting I feel as if the clutch catches smoother. Also, it feels smoother in reverse, it doesn't feel like I'm going to stall as easily in reverse when reversing up my incline driveway.

The only complaint I have with this clutch besides it having no resistance, is that at low RPM's upon constant acceleration it chatters/rattles (for example going over speed bumps slowly and keeping it in 2nd). It's very noticeable when the windows are down. It also is noisy when fully releasing the accelerator pedal and engaging the clutch. I've countered this by not fully letting go of the accelerator pedal, which evens out the revs slightly to where there is no clutch clatter/rattle sound. I am assuming the flywheel is cheap/light and the sound is just normal vibration. Anyone else have this same issue?

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
I just had this recall done at my dealer that had the sleeves in stock. They claim it passed the test, and only installed the sleeve and bled the line. The receipt said no bubbles were found in the line. Dealer had it for about 4 hours. I'm guessing the entire process took around 2 hours.

Clutch travel feels the same and it is still feather light, but I have noticed when rev match down shifting I feel as if the clutch catches smoother. Also, it feels smoother in reverse, it doesn't feel like I'm going to stall as easily in reverse when reversing up my incline driveway.

The only complaint I have with this clutch besides it having no resistance, is that at low RPM's upon constant acceleration it chatters/rattles (for example going over speed bumps slowly and keeping it in 2nd). It's very noticeable when the windows are down. It also is noisy when fully releasing the accelerator pedal and engaging the clutch. I've countered this by not fully letting go of the accelerator pedal, which evens out the revs slightly to where there is no clutch clatter/rattle sound. I am assuming the flywheel is cheap/light and the sound is just normal vibration. Anyone else have this same issue?
I think most of us can relate to that. It this quirk and the others with this clutch system that we all have to re- learn manual again. It definitely is not like what we learned to drive on

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
I think most of us can relate to that. It this quirk and the others with this clutch system that we all have to re- learn manual again. It definitely is not like what we learned to drive on
Also i, wouldn't drive anything else !!!!

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Update since my clutch replacement, my Jeep runs much better now, when I hit the gas on hills it finally does something and I can feel the clutch engage now. It shifts smooooth, even in 4 lo which was a bit clunky.

they didn’t install a sleeve when they swapped out the clutch kit, said it was only if there was a leak. Whatever, just glad that I have it back and it’s working great.

@JeepCares my Jeep would probably still be at the dealership if it weren’t for you. Thank you

SunnyBuck1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2017 Honda CRV
When I took it in a month or so ago when I was first notified about the recall service, the tech at the dealership said they didn't have the parts and that they would call me when they came in. That never happened!

I just scheduled the service in the hopes that they had received the parts. As it turns out, they have to do an inspection on the first visit, then send pictures to FCA to verify the problem, wait for FCA to approve the parts, ship them and then call me back to schedule, etc. This according to the tech.

The tech also told me that they have had some customers that required several trips for pictures, parts, rinse repeat. Not sure why FCA doesn't just send the required parts to the dealer in the first place. Very inconvenient to go in just for a picture and then wait for FCA to approve the parts shipment.

Maybe I am missing something, but this doesn't seem very customer friendly.

@JeepCares Why require multiple trips to fix this? My tech said that the hose was leaking and they sent the pictures. Why not just send the hose in advance?
A quick update, Thank you @JeepCares for checking on my parts order. Still waiting on parts, but they have been more helpful than my dealer about letting me know where the order stands. It's coming up on a month now and I'm ready to be done with this. My clutch seems to be working fine, so I have just been driving it like normal. Even got a little 4 lo off-roading the other day.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Update since my clutch replacement, my Jeep runs much better now, when I hit the gas on hills it finally does something and I can feel the clutch engage now. It shifts smooooth, even in 4 lo which was a bit clunky.

they didn’t install a sleeve when they swapped out the clutch kit, said it was only if there was a leak. Whatever, just glad that I have it back and it’s working great.

@JeepCares my Jeep would probably still be at the dealership if it weren’t for you. Thank you

how long was your jeep in the shop for and if you don't mind, which dealer?

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
6 week ordeal, it was in the shop for about 2 weeks but took 6 to get it all sorted, I went to Buena Park Jeep. Don't recommend.

SunnyBuck1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2017 Honda CRV
I opted to continue to drive mine. I have not noticed any issues or smell, strange clutch behavior, etc. I took it in for the initial inspection mid-June, so going on a month now. I can't thank @JeepCares enough for keeping me up to date on the progress of the parts shipments. FCA doesn't have control of how the dealer operates, but can and does have direct support for customers. I've not experienced that with any other car manufacturer.
Sponsored