Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share a response from FCA in Canada. I recently ordered the Centerforce clutch with new flywheel. The dual friction version. Someone on here posted that FCA reimbursed them for the part. Especially because FCA doesn’t even have an updated clutch in stock.

This is what I got back:

“We are sorry to hear of your concerns with the clutch installed in your vehicle. Your warranty does not cover any part not supplied by FCA Group LLC, nor does it cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the installation or use of non-FCA Group parts, components, materials or additives. The modification of vehicle equipment that conforms to product specifications to suit personal preference would be your responsibility. We must respectfully decline your request to cover the costs of replacing the clutch with an aftermarket part.

We note that the recall campaign W12 – Clutch is outstanding on your vehicle. Please contact your dealer to arrange completion of this service, at no charge to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered - we really do wish we could be of more assistance. While we regret that we cannot provide a more favourable reply, we appreciate the opportunity to review this matter with you.”

Just a big joke basically.

Furthermore, has anyone else experienced this? Go to start the Jeep, you hear the starter engage and stop suddenly. Start it again and nothing happens. YES, BOTH BATTERIES ARE FULLY charged. It would happen more and more and MORE. Finally I’m at home installing a dash cam and then it won’t start no matter what I did. Starter would go for half a second and suddenly stop.

I checked the fuse box, found loose fuses, relays, every single damn one I had to check and push down all the way. Then she starts, co-incidence?

My first Mopar product, I love the Jeep but I’m disappointed with so much. FCA, is terrible. Too many problems with a garage Queen Jeep that I don’t even beat on. Just a joke.

I hope you find this useful, and please let me know if anyone else experience the no start BS.
I was reimbursed, parts cost only, for the Centerforce, but that was before there was a fix available.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer would not do the test. Only replace the sleeve and reroute the cables. How do I fix this now that tehy called my case closed?
Send them a PM and your VIN and they will try and help you.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My dealer would not do the test. Only replace the sleeve and reroute the cables. How do I fix this now that tehy called my case closed?
Feel free to send us a PM with your VIN and then the dealership you went too.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
@AwCrimety They did some type of visual inspection looking at the actual disk (so they say),
To the best of my knowledge there is NO WAY to inspect the clutch on our Jeeps without removing the trans (I.E. no inspection plate to remove from the bellhousing or anywhere else). I have to do an oil change this afternoon and I'll look closer to be 100% sure.

Last edited:

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
*UPDATE*

So i got a call finally that my Jeep is all set...(Ot has been their for going on 7 weeks now I believe) You can imagine my excitement and then instant frustration. The clutch pedal feels like complete trash. It is dead untill half way through the pedal depression and then the last inch or so, it "engages" the clutch. When letting out it starts to catch prob 1/4 inch off the floor. Needless to say i did not accept my vehicle and it will be looked at again Monday. How do i get out of a lease? That Bronco is looking real good right about now.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
*UPDATE*

So i got a call finally that my Jeep is all set...(Ot has been their for going on 7 weeks now I believe) You can imagine my excitement and then instant frustration. The clutch pedal feels like complete trash. It is dead untill half way through the pedal depression and then the last inch or so, it "engages" the clutch. When letting out it starts to catch prob 1/4 inch off the floor. Needless to say i did not accept my vehicle and it will be looked at again Monday. How do i get out of a lease? That Bronco is looking real good right about now.
Sometimes when bled, it takes some working to get the hydraulic pressure built up. It may just need to be driven a bit. When the slave cylinder was replaced on my JK on the way to Moab, it felt like that. They told me just drive it. By the time I got to Moab a day later, it was fine.

You did the smart thing leaving it, though. Make them figure it out and get it right before giving it back.

Before you get too excited about Ford, cosider that my Transit van has had a bad sensor for the door. It chimes as if open when it is closed. It has been in the shop 6 times to fix it, to the tune of $500. They have yet to successfully fix it. It's just been a joyful experience. They all have their nightmares, believe me.

Hopefully, it'll be just what I described and you'll get it back at 100%, and never have another issue.

Last edited:

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sometimes when bled, it takes some working to get the hydraulic pressure built up. It may just need to be driven a bit. When the slave cylinder was replaced on my JK on the way to Moab, it felt like that. They told me just drive it. By the time I got to Moab a day later, it was fine.

You did the smart thing leaving it, though. Make them figure it out and get it right before giving it back.

Before you get too excited about Ford, cosider that my Transit van has had a bad sensor for the door. It chimes as if open when it is closed. It has been in the shop 6 times to fix it, to the tune of $500. They have yet to successfully fix it. It's just been a joyful experience. They all have their nightmares, believe me.

Hopefully, it'll be just what I described and you'll get it back at 100%, and never have another issue.
I appreciate the reply. I really am not serious about the Bronco, that was a joke. Im just more so annoyed that it was released to me that way is all. I have only driven manual cars and replaced the slave cylinders on 2 of them without this issue. Ill just see what they have to say is all. Was more so wondering if anyone here had this issue?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*UPDATE*

You dont get out of a lease very easily I can attest to that! Funny you mention Bronco also, I had a lease on a very nice Bronco II back in 86 - it was lifted, big tires fancy graphics, operational moonroof etc. Problem is it was a LEMON from day 1 and I went to trade it in on a new Turbo Coupe T-Bird and get rid of the thing, long story short I had to hand over 2K cash to get out of the lease (not do to being upside down or anything else just to get out of the lease early)!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the reply. I really am not serious about the Bronco, that was a joke. Im just more so annoyed that it was released to me that way is all. I have only driven manual cars and replaced the slave cylinders on 2 of them without this issue. Ill just see what they have to say is all. Was more so wondering if anyone here had this issue?
Maybe they just didn't bleed it correctly? Hopefully they'll get it figured out pretty quick. Man, you've been without your Jeep long enough!

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe they just didn't bleed it correctly? Hopefully they'll get it figured out pretty quick. Man, you've been without your Jeep long enough!
Same, I hope its something silly that was just over looked. Im pretty sure i dropped it off May 15th. I had a Mini Van, a Ram 1500 and now a Cherokee as loaners thus far. Ive been missing out on key Doors/Top off weather and its really bumming me out.

Sponsored

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Took the Wrangler in back in April for this. They looked at it and said nothing to do, no parts. Then I heard nothing from the dealer (typical crappy dealership service). Keep in mind for whatever reason this dealership doesn’t like to answer phone calls. They actually roll you to voicemail. I tried calling them 4 times on different days and at different times of the day.

Soooo, I drove to the place today to discuss. They said they have the sleeves in stock but if the test indicates a new clutch is needed they will keep the Wrangler and provide a courtesy vehicle.

If Jeep Cares is listening they said they have a customers Wrangler that’s been sitting on their lot for almost 6 weeks now waiting for a clutch. Jeep Cares, parts are available? Really?

Boy am I glad I bought the FCA lifetime warranty just in time before they stopped selling it. This Wrangler has had more recalls than ALL my other vehicles combined.

erick73

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Grand Cherokee Limited
Same, I hope its something silly that was just over looked. Im pretty sure i dropped it off May 15th. I had a Mini Van, a Ram 1500 and now a Cherokee as loaners thus far. Ive been missing out on key Doors/Top off weather and its really bumming me out.
Hello SirMagnus,
I don't mean to upstage you. My Wrangler has been down since May 7th. I've had 2 loaners, a JLU sport automatic and now a Cherokee latitude.
Jeep cares found out for me my parts shipped on June 17th. (thank you Jeep cares). I spoke with the service advisor at the dealer on June 23rd and told him what jeep cares found out. He said "oh, so the parts shipped from one warehouse and are on their way to the other warehouse."
I haven't heard anything from them since.

530->408jeepney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
Took almost a month to get mine addressed. The more frustrating part is that the dealership did not provide a loaner vehicle so I was responsible to find one and with the current situation it made it so much more challenging. I was without a vehicle for 2 weeks. It was very frustrating.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To the best of my knowledge there is NO WAY to inspect the clutch on our Jeeps without removing the trans (I.E. no inspection plate to remove from the bellhousing or anywhere else). I have to do an oil change this afternoon and I'll look closer to be 100% sure.
I looked and there IS a very small plate that can be removed on the passenger side. That said I'm not sure what one would see except maybe the flywheel teeth - perhaps a borescope could be snaked aroud for a peek at the clutch plate. I didnt take it apart, maybe another day....

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello SirMagnus,
I don't mean to upstage you. My Wrangler has been down since May 7th. I've had 2 loaners, a JLU sport automatic and now a Cherokee latitude.
Jeep cares found out for me my parts shipped on June 17th. (thank you Jeep cares). I spoke with the service advisor at the dealer on June 23rd and told him what jeep cares found out. He said "oh, so the parts shipped from one warehouse and are on their way to the other warehouse."
I haven't heard anything from them since.
Yea, you definitely took the podium from me. What really sucks is the fact we are paying a premium for a none premium vehicle that we cannot even drive.
Sponsored