Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S
When the recall first landed, I called my dealer, they put me on a list with my VIN. When the appropriate parts arrived, they called, I made appointment, and in and out in less than 2 hours, which included clutch recall, sterrring recall, and loud AC TSB. Clutch feels better now, probably just from the bleed. Anbyway, why are so many of you guys having to wait and leave your jeeps? Are you all getting new clutches???

Why don't you ask @JeepCares, or FCA about this B.S.? Why do some dealers appear to already have parts on hand? Mine dealer won't even evaluate the clutch until they get the hose/sleeve parts that for some stupid ass reason are not available until June 30. Further, I was told about the 2nd week in that the parts were ordered, but canceled. Canceled by whom you ask, I.D.F.K.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Parts went to dealers at first because the factory was closed. Now that it is open they have to get the 2020 manuals built and out the door so that the 2021s can be built. So guessing the transmission builder is putting them in the 6 speeds going to the factory. All factories always win out when shortage in parts.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
When the recall first landed, I called my dealer, they put me on a list with my VIN. When the appropriate parts arrived, they called, I made appointment, and in and out in less than 2 hours, which included clutch recall, sterrring recall, and loud AC TSB. Clutch feels better now, probably just from the bleed. Anbyway, why are so many of you guys having to wait and leave your jeeps? Are you all getting new clutches???
It is because some need more parts than others. If you needed a clutch, then you'd have probably waited a long time and may still be waiting. According to my dealer, there are VIN specific parts, and depending on your VIN, they may be back-ordered. Clutch parts are definitely back-ordered, according to them. If all you need is a sleeve and bleed, and the part is available, no sweat.

They aren't supposed to order clutches unless they know for sure it is needed.

I'm betting mine will pass the clutch test and will only need a few small parts. But I'm not risking being without my Jeep during my time off work to test that out. So I'll wait until I can live without it for a bit.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Why don't you ask @JeepCares, or FCA about this B.S.? Why do some dealers appear to already have parts on hand? Mine dealer won't even evaluate the clutch until they get the hose/sleeve parts that for some stupid ass reason are not available until June 30. Further, I was told about the 2nd week in that the parts were ordered, but canceled. Canceled by whom you ask, I.D.F.K.
The clutch test should be done first before ordering the VIN specific parts, not the other way around.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
The clutch test should be done first before ordering the VIN specific parts, not the other way around.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Unfortunately there is a common misunderstanding about this because I got the same story at my dealer. When I made the appointment they said they could not order the sleeve until after they inspected it and that the parts are VIN specific.

I donā€™t have time to waste arguing with them about it because they were adamant even when I challenged them on the sleeve. And sure enough after the inspection today it turns out they need the sleeve and hose. It remains to be seen how long that takes.

But I'm not upset. I have learned to keep expectations low when dealing with dealership service departments.

My clutch is fine and I donā€™t think it has ever slipped. This is more me just checking the box since itā€™s a safety recall, but it still should be a better experience.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Wow. That right there is exactly why I'm holding out. That and the fact I've not seen, felt, or smelled any evidence of an issue. Should that change, It'll go in and I'll wait.
Iā€™m with you, Dan. Iā€™ll wait until summer is over before I consider this recall. My clutch has always been fine, so Iā€™m not worried... I certainly donā€™t want to lose my Jeep during the best Jeeping months of the year!

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Iā€™m scheduled for them to check it out next Monday.

Thanks, Kaitlin. @JeepCares

Iā€™ll check back in after my appointment.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm relieved that my dealer told me it's safe as long as hot metal doesn't fly thru the floorboards.
I'm sure the odds are excellent for that to happen. But hey, I get a rush out of cheating death!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why don't you call my dealer and tell them that!!!!!!
They have. It is in the documentation the dealers get. However, dealers want to shorten the time to fix and also shorten the time they have to put a loaner vehicle out. Some may actually want to do those things in the interest of customer service. That works for the ones that do it successfully, but in the macro perspective, it slows everyone else down, having an overall adverse effect overall. That's why it is difficult to get dealers to stop subverting the process. Not an easy thing to fix.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
I skimmed through most of this but there is a lot to take in. It's been a while but I'm looking to get back into a Jeep. I found a JL that that has around 13,000 miles and seems to be a good price but its 4 hours away. I would get this recall addressed ASAP but I would be driving the Jeep for over 4 hours home. Is this safe? I assume if the clutch goes and causes other issues it would be covered under warrenty wouldn't it?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Should the clutch test always be performed? Any reason a dealer would forego this test?
No, the test should always be done since that determines which parts are ordered.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

StoneFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr JL
I skimmed through most of this but there is a lot to take in. It's been a while but I'm looking to get back into a Jeep. I found a JL that that has around 13,000 miles and seems to be a good price but its 4 hours away. I would get this recall addressed ASAP but I would be driving the Jeep for over 4 hours home. Is this safe? I assume if the clutch goes and causes other issues it would be covered under warrenty wouldn't it?
when i fried mine (before the recall announcement) it was covered under warranty. just had to pay like $4 for the tow (i have AAA). I think it would depend on how the clutch feels when you go to look at it. Good driving habits seem to minimize the damage or even make it non existent. On the other hand it could be a good negotiation tool.
Sponsored