Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I just had my Centerforce installed today on my '20 JL sport. I've had the jeep for a few weeks waiting on the clutch to show up at the local performance shop and have been driving it around with the factory clutch. It always felt like I was pushing on a wet sponge... absolutely no resistance or friction zone. I can now attest to the fact that the Centerforce acts and feels like a real clutch should. The extra flywheel weight tempers the engine well and the Jeep has more pep in the lower gears.
Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I had my recall performed today. I followed up in the afternoon, and was told my clutch passed the test. They were finishing up a few other things for me, but I went to get it a few hours later.

I was nervous about that test, so I reviewed all the dashcam footage,....and they never actually did the clutch test. They pulled it into the shop, they put a sleeve on the line, pumped the clutch pedal 50 times, and did the other things it was in for, then parked my jeep. No road test, no clutch test.

Not sure how to handle this. If I go in and call b.s on them, ill ruin the relationship, and this is my third dealerahip I've tried around here. The others were terrible...but i at least liked these guys.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
I’d go in and ask what was done to test it, if they say road test I’d tell them they must have missed that part and give the reason.
Don’t get aggressive just matter of fact, let them feel like the heals For not doing the job right.
probably the tech shortcutting to save time

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I had my recall performed today. I followed up in the afternoon, and was told my clutch passed the test. They were finishing up a few other things for me, but I went to get it a few hours later.

I was nervous about that test, so I reviewed all the dashcam footage,....and they never actually did the clutch test. They pulled it into the shop, they put a sleeve on the line, pumped the clutch pedal 50 times, and did the other things it was in for, then parked my jeep. No road test, no clutch test.

Not sure how to handle this. If I go in and call b.s on them, ill ruin the relationship, and this is my third dealerahip I've tried around here. The others were terrible...but i at least liked these guys.

just do it yourself. If it passes, great.

if it fails, take it back in.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
just do it yourself. If it passes, great.

if it fails, take it back in.
Yes, i was thinking this might be a good idea, until a post a few up said, what happens if I ruin the clutch doing it, haha. But, you're probably right, I think this basically solves the problem

Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Yes, i was thinking this might be a good idea, until a post a few up said, what happens if I ruin the clutch doing it, haha. But, you're probably right, I think this basically solves the problem
I think you’d have a pretty good case if it fries the clutch the day after the recall was done.

besides, you have the dash cam footage to back you up in case you do.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
If your dash cam records audio too, make sure you are clear on your state’s laws regarding recording conversations before you bring that into the mix. Varies from state to state. Unless you have a disclaimer sticker stating that audio/video recording is taking place.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
If your dash cam records audio too, make sure you are clear on your state’s laws regarding recording conversations before you bring that into the mix. Varies from state to state. Unless you have a disclaimer sticker stating that audio/video recording is taking place.
I'm in canada,...not actually sure. I'll look into it.

However, I will say that I did actually disclose the fact that I have a dashcam to this dealership on a previous visit, if that makes a difference? Also, the camera isn't hidden, it's stuck on the windshield like most of them.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in canada,...not actually sure. I'll look into it.

However, I will say that I did actually disclose the fact that I have a dashcam to this dealership on a previous visit, if that makes a difference? Also, the camera isn't hidden, it's stuck on the windshield like most of them.
Gotcha. Yeah not sure about Canada law.

In my state of N.C., it’s one party consent. So as long as one person knows it’s being recorded, you’re good.

So if I’m driving my vehicle and have other people in the vehicle I am not required to disclose.

I have a warning sticker on my visor up where the other warnings are advising that audio and video is being recorded to cover me when I turn the vehicle over to a dealer, etc.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Brought it in because of that death asbestos smell.....

I watched them do the dump test... it passed... they said to keep an eye on it and at least it is now documented that There was a smell so if in the future something happens.... it'll help.

So we will sit and watch!

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Nope, not in, I need an entire clutch replacement which I explained and to which you responded that you couldn't speak to what the dealer told you vs. me. since they told you that I needed a hose vs. the clutch.

To me, this response meant that you were done helping since it was clearly a discrepancy with the background I gave you.
Your dealer only ordered the hose according to our records.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Your dealer only ordered the hose according to our records.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Yep, I’m guessing none of this is in the system, clutch kit sent by a “Bob”. It’s a huge mess, one kit was already “lost”, I was told all my parts were in yesterday but it turns out they weren’t after all and now they’re waiting for the clutch and flywheel with an “eta” of the 23rd.

I don’t know if any of this is true anymore but I am documenting every conversation with every party involved because if this isn’t done by the 23rd my council and I are mailing everything to FCA’s office of the president via certified mail and also contacting the owner of the franchise automotive group.

I’ve had enough.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Excellent point! There are at least 7 states that consider illegal recording of conversations a felony!! That statute is usually applied to jealous husbands tapping their own phones to catch what's going on.

That would also fall under the federal wire tapping section.

I can''t find case law with a dash cam recording a service tech conversations.

I'm sure for this good cause the forum members can always arrange "bail" for a fellow member!

Be careful.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my recall done this morning. Receipt says remove tie, add sleeve, bleed hydraulic system and check for leaks. Not sure if they performed the dump test but I’m good with that. Lol.

Seems to engage a tad better. Maybe it had a small amount of air. Either way drives fine and almost no difference to me.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Been lurking for a while now without posting. I’ve got a 19’ 2door sport with 8k miles on it. Within the last 1000 or so miles I’ve noticed a “clatter” for lack of a better word between shifts. Not if I drive it easy, not if I drive it hard, only when I’m shifting roughly 3k rpm. Anyway, brought it in to the dealer on Wednesday the 10th. They were gonna let me know on Thursday what was up. Never called me. I call 30 minutes before they close and I was told that it failed the inspection and waiting on the parts. They were supposed to call on Friday. They never did. I called Monday and still waiting on parts, should be in by midweek. Called today, no parts, and I asked what exactly they ordered that way I have a better idea what timeframe I’m looking at. I’m assuming if the flywheel and clutch are ordered it’s gonna be a while. They said clutch, pressure plate, etc., hose to the master cylinder was indeed leaking. But, they were going to release it to me and were going to call me to bring it in when the parts came in. I decided just to leave it. So, it’s been a week now. Weather has been kinda cool here in jersey so I probably wouldn’t put the top down anyway.
Brought it in because of that death asbestos smell.....

I watched them do the dump test... it passed... they said to keep an eye on it and at least it is now documented that There was a smell so if in the future something happens.... it'll help.

So we will sit and watch!
death asbestos smell?

I occasionally have a smell after driving well but I thought it gave off more of a bad catalytic converter type smell.
Sponsored