Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Often a plug is not enough and a patch is required, however a patch is ALWAYS better.
Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Often a plug is not enough and a patch is required, however a patch is ALWAYS better.
Yeah mine was plugged out on the trail and was still holding up well, but I had the tire protection plan anyway so wanted a little more peace of mind with the patch.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
More precise engagement, you know what the clutch is going to do and Less jerky in high range, but we did a lot of 4 low crawling. Worth the hassle
Did it feel like it was more difficult to stall?

Snake_Charmer

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If a Jeep dealer canā€™t air tires properly, imagine what they could do to a clutch recall or simpl
We have a couple of garages around here that do exceptional work also. I was amazed at him actually taking my tire off the rim, vulcanizing a patch and reinstalling including another balance even though he put it back exactly where it came off. Usually they just ream it and poke a plug through the tread and hope for the best. Glad to see some folks still doing things correctly.

Hell in today's world.....when someone says they'll call me back and they actually do, I shed a tear of appreciation.

Have a good one!
I totally agree with the phone call!!! Itā€™s crazy, weā€™ve been calling FCA for two weeks now and keep being told we will get a call back. Nobody has ever called. Iā€™ve gotten more response (albeit slow) out of fB messenger. But you would think after all the money that their vehicles cost they could pick up the phone and give you a call!!! Explain WTH is going on, and answer some questions. I really donā€™t think thatā€™s asking too much. And I do understand thereā€™s a lot of vehicles affected. Hire more people then!! They need the jobs.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Well im about to leave for the dealer, they reported the recall complete to FCA but I have no new clutch and no sleeve, nothing has been done. Time to involve my legal counsel.
I took it to the dealer just yesterday Saturday Jun14th and the dealer said they did inspect it and din't find any issue with the clutch. I used to smell it when the Jeep was still very new but now I can't smell anything anymore when accelerating. I hope all is fine and the clutch won;t fall apart couple weeks after the one year warranty is over.

Last edited:

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I took it to the dealer just yesterday Saturday Jun14th and the dealer said they did inspect it and din't find any issue with the clutch. I used to smell it when the Jeep was still very new but now I can't smell anything anymore when accelerating. I hope all is fine and the clutch won;t fall apart couple weeks after the one year warranty is over.
Did they remove the clip and install the sleeving?

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Good point to look into, did FCA extend any warranty coverage on the clutches for this issue?

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Much of this depends upon how long the wait for parts actually is.

I would think at least some judges would have an issue with them cranking out new product while customers are waiting months for replacement parts, all while having to continue to make payments, where applicable.

I'm not saying file on day 31, but if your Jeep has been down for two months, that's getting extreme and subjecting your vehicle to conditions you as an owner would likely not have subjected it to, at least if you have a garage.

Perhaps some dealers are better, but the ones I know would just leave your vehicle on their back lot in full sun light accumulating full summer sun, bird crap and other environmental fallout and whatever else until the parts come in - it wouldn't even be started or moved to avoid tire flat spotting, it would just be like an unsold vehicle sitting on the lot as its brake rotors rust, though at least their vehicles for sale would get washed; yours would just be forgotten about until the parts come in.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I called the FCA number on the recall. Very helpful and she put in a case and then called the dealer for me. I just picked a time to drop it off and now Iā€™m set for Friday morning. Hopefully my inspection goes well.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good poin
t to look into, did FCA extend any warranty coverage on the clutches for this issue?
I was thinking about it last night . I think I have been stressed lately and my thinking isn't well orginized and I never asked them.. That's a very good point. Thank you.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they remove the clip and install the sleeving?

I think the service person said all was fine . I should have done more investigation about it beforehand but I was under the impression they will be doing some repairs and I was told they just did inspection . Now I have to find out about any warranty extension on the clutch as Goosed just mentioned to me..

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I had my recall done a few weeks ago.... they put the sleeve on.... no bubbles seen is what they said.....

About a week ago, I started smelling what at first I thought was brake pads over heating like one was stuck or something but none of the wheels were hot...i think I am smelling my clutch.....i think she might be slipping. I am gonna call the dealer today to book an appointment.... CRAP!

MVFAN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara North Edition, 2019 GC High Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™m puzzled by the wide range of ownerā€™s experiences with this recall. Just had the recall ā€œfixā€ completed (inspection & sleeve installed) and now the recall is clear on my VIN. Well, my ā€œfixā€ was to trade in my ā€˜18 Sport S MT for a ā€˜20 Sahara North Edition (Auto). Never liked that manual transmission since the day I took delivery and wasnā€™t even close to the quite ordinary manuals in my CJ and TJ.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had my recall done a few weeks ago.... they put the sleeve on.... no bubbles seen is what they said.....

About a week ago, I started smelling what at first I thought was brake pads over heating like one was stuck or something but none of the wheels were hot...i think I am smelling my clutch.....i think she might be slipping. I am gonna call the dealer today to book an appointment.... CRAP!
I was under the impression that they had to bleed the system for the sleeve replacement since it was being opened up. Could be wrong, but ideally If they replace the hose you would think there needs to be a purge of the fluids. On my service invoice it noted use of fluid replacement.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I was under the impression that they had to bleed the system for the sleeve replacement since it was being opened up. Could be wrong, but ideally If they replace the hose you would think there needs to be a purge of the fluids. On my service invoice it noted use of fluid replacement.
yes, now that you say that, I remember the mechanic saying he had done so...I am bringing the jeep in tomorrow for an oil change at my mechanics and I will ask them about this...I have not noticed any clutch slippage or anything...so maybe it's just me...I started smelling it when I had the roof off and the plugs out due to getting caught in a rain. Since then I have replaced the plugs and the smell isn't so strong....maybe coincidence...
Sponsored