Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Also should add that I picked up my Jeep and there was 39 and 40 PSI in the tires, had them all at 35 when I took it in.
It took you longer to complain than just air them to what you want. Let's all cry together.
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If a Jeep dealer can’t air tires properly, imagine what they could do to a clutch recall or simple oil change...
Sad truth is that the labor pool for technicians is pitiful at best. Anyone that even knows which end to hold a wrench by can make more money as an oilfield monkey than a service technician. Heck, a laid-off teen grocery bagger is making more money on unemployment right now than most skilled technicians.

nlgraham829

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 (No longer own 2018 JLUR)
I also got mine today, no clutch replacement just new sleeve and they bled the system. Night and day difference. Grab point is consistent out of 1st gear, no thud between 1st and 2nd, and grab is so much smoother. I suspect that there was flywheel disengagement issues for mine. But with only 3k miles the clutch and flywheel/pressure plate wasn’t beat too bad.

The one question I have is now that this recall has been done, what happens 15-20k miles downwhen the clutch explodes - did I lose my rights to claim as damage?
This is my experience as well. I have 6400 miles on mine. I have driven standards for years but I could not for the life of me get used to driving this Jeep. It's only been a few days but I'm preferring the way it drives now versus before. I am hoping that there wasn't enough damage done to significantly reduce the life of the clutch. I too noticed that shifts between 1st and 2nd are much smoother after the fix.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If a Jeep dealer can’t air tires properly, imagine what they could do to a clutch recall or simple oil change...
I doubt the "air guy" is the same as the "clutch guy". When I go in for service I ask them not to touch my tires...either rotation or air which has worked very well for me. I doubt if any garage calibrates their air gauges. I've had 3 all read different so I pick my favorite and go with that one.

There are some dopes out there, no doubt about it. Unfortunately it's in everything we do today. Pride is gone, politically correct seems to be more important. I'm old school so I try to look for all the good things left and not complain about very simple problems. It won't do you any good, trust me.

I'm not trying to bust your chops here.
Good jeeping!

C

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Ya know, I've loved my Jeeps for years. Had my JKU for over 10 years. Other than normal service and wear and tear never had a problem and it always got me home. I bought my JLU with the intention of having it a long time. I'm starting to think it's going to get traded sooner than later for something NOT an FCA product.
or, you could continue to drive it & when it catches on fire, "poof" you're now ready to get a new vehicle

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm now wondering if i should wait until my clutch starts slipping, then take it in for the recall.

Some of you guys must have just had air in the lines or an earlier model with more miles on the clutch. My clutch works perfectly at 12k miles.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt the "air guy" is the same as the "clutch guy". When I go in for service I ask them not to touch my tires...either rotation or air which has worked very well for me. I doubt if any garage calibrates their air gauges. I've had 3 all read different so I pick my favorite and go with that one.

There are some dopes out there, no doubt about it. Unfortunately it's in everything we do today. Pride is gone, politically correct seems to be more important. I'm old school so I try to look for all the good things left and not complain about very simple problems. It won't do you any good, trust me.

I'm not trying to bust your chops here.
Good jeeping!

C
I have had bad experiences in the past too, but I recently took mine into the dealer to get a tire patched (got the protection plan). And to my surprise, not only was the patched tire at the correct PSI, he got all the others synced up as well. I had recently gotten back from and off-road trip and didn’t have them all exact yet.

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
I'm now wondering if i should wait until my clutch starts slipping, then take it in for the recall.

Some of you guys must have just had air in the lines or an earlier model with more miles on the clutch. My clutch works perfectly at 12k miles.
A clutch doesn’t slip because of air in the line....you’d get erratic engagement but slipping is unrelated. If your clutch slips, it’s a new and different flywheel, clutch assembly and throw out bearing. It’s not the same assembly. Now the only actual explanation is a lack of quality control from LUK, the clutch supplier. However, To not be able to narrow it down with a vin number range reflects poorly on both FCA and LUK. They both churn out garbage and we buy it......

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I agree.. LUK is the culprit.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have had bad experiences in the past too, but I recently took mine into the dealer to get a tire patched (got the protection plan). And to my surprise, not only was the patched tire at the correct PSI, he got all the others synced up as well. I had recently gotten back from and off-road trip and didn’t have them all exact yet.
We have a couple of garages around here that do exceptional work also. I was amazed at him actually taking my tire off the rim, vulcanizing a patch and reinstalling including another balance even though he put it back exactly where it came off. Usually they just ream it and poke a plug through the tread and hope for the best. Glad to see some folks still doing things correctly.

Hell in today's world.....when someone says they'll call me back and they actually do, I shed a tear of appreciation.

Have a good one!
Sponsored