Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

LumpyDog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Three and a half weeks now my Jeep’s been sitting at the dealership for this repair. The dealership’s been great (except for not knowing/telling me this could happen). I have a loaner, but it’s not my Jeep. And now that it’s running near a hundred degrees here, I’ve missed prime top-down weather until Fall.

There are far bigger problems in the world, so I’ve done my best to maintain the right perspective, but I‘m really dumbfounded as to how this happened. My last Jeep was an absolute tank. Seven years and I didn’t have to do a thing beyond basic maintenance. I’ve had my new one less than a year and already this? Couldn’t be more disappointed.
Sponsored

Artinyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Hello all, I'm new here :)
My 2020 JLU is on order as of this past week! I am super excited! I've wanted a Jeep since my brother had his TJ.

Fast forward to today when I stumble on this thread about problems with the clutch and pressure plate cracking etc.

This may be a silly question but since I couldn't find a straight answer:
1. Is there in fact a remedy?
2. If there is - if my Jeep is not even built is it safe to assume it will be delivered with the remedy?

Thanks in advance!

nlgraham829

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 (No longer own 2018 JLUR)
Just dropped my Jeep off this morning for the remedy. Anxious to hear the results of the clutch test. I have not noticed any clutch smell when pulling out, reversing, or around town but I have noticed it some on long ascents. 2-3 times I have tried climbing a long steep but not insanely steep hill in 5th gear at 60mph (around 2k rpm) and about 2/3rds of the way up the hill. I have since been downshifting to 4th and climbing the hill around 2500rpm, same speed.

This is my first Jeep but not my first standard transmission. I drove Ford Rangers with the 4.0L and 5 speed manual for years. I seem to recall being to climb most any hill in Western PA in 5th gear as long as I was doing 55-60+. I didn't sense any lugging in the 3.6L as I was trying to climb some of the same hills in my Rubicon but I'm not as familiar with the powerband of the Pentastar engine. Is it typical to need to stay above 2k rpm climbing hills? May not be the right spot for this question. I'm a Jeep and a forum newb.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Just dropped my Jeep off this morning for the remedy. Anxious to hear the results of the clutch test. I have not noticed any clutch smell when pulling out, reversing, or around town but I have noticed it some on long ascents. 2-3 times I have tried climbing a long steep but not insanely steep hill in 5th gear at 60mph (around 2k rpm) and about 2/3rds of the way up the hill. I have since been downshifting to 4th and climbing the hill around 2500rpm, same speed.

This is my first Jeep but not my first standard transmission. I drove Ford Rangers with the 4.0L and 5 speed manual for years. I seem to recall being to climb most any hill in Western PA in 5th gear as long as I was doing 55-60+. I didn't sense any lugging in the 3.6L as I was trying to climb some of the same hills in my Rubicon but I'm not as familiar with the powerband of the Pentastar engine. Is it typical to need to stay above 2k rpm climbing hills? May not be the right spot for this question. I'm a Jeep and a forum newb.
For sure yes, the 6sp/3.6 combo hates anything below 2k rpm. 6th gear useless, unless you are rolling Rubi. For us sahara sport owners and the 3.45 rear, it is basically a 5sp, in my back road commute I never exceed 4th, and need 3rd for a steep hill, but the motor loves revs so dont be shy...

nlgraham829

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For sure yes, the 6sp/3.6 combo hates anything below 2k rpm. 6th gear useless, unless you are rolling Rubi. For us sahara sport owners and the 3.45 rear, it is basically a 5sp, in my back road commute I never exceed 4th, and need 3rd for a steep hill, but the motor loves revs so dont be shy...
I appreciate the response Cutterone. I guess the old Rangers had an uncanny ability to climb hills at lower RPMs than the Wranglers. Had I sensed any lugging I wouldn't have stayed in 5th gear but it was holding and I was maybe 50% into the throttle. I think I will continue to climb most of these hills in 4th as I don't want unnecessary clutch wear.

As far as the 3.45 vs 4.10 conversation goes... I had an F150 with the twin turbo Ecoboost but had always wanted a Wrangler. Some situations changed and I was not using the truck as much as I had in the past and decided I'd look around and see if I could find a Wrangler I liked. I was really unimpressed with the 3.45s in the sport I test drove. Had I come from a vehicle with less torque than the F150 Ecoboost it probably would not have been a problem but I found the 4.10s in the Rubicon much more enjoyable to drive.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

When accelerating on road, try shifting at 3500 rpm. Jeep drives much better keeping rpm above 2000.

nlgraham829

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Just got the call from the dealership they said the completed the recall and it passed the clutch health check.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
If I didn't need a clutch replacement I'd wrap it in heat shield tape and call it a day this recall is absurd.
What's the status of your clutch?

My dealer continues to be very helpful...after 10 days, picked up jeep on Friday with complete new clutch after driving it 27k miles and it failing the recall.(provided a loaner car) I wasnt hard on this clutch and never smoked it.(owned 3 manuals previously and even managed 180k miles out of a Infiniti g35 clutch) Prior to this recall, the clutch was noticeably slipping lately and the dealer confirmed saying it slipped alot during their test and was in rough shape when they removed it. They also replaced the rear glass seal that was leaking a little and charged the battery.

The new clutch engages at a lower point and feels much smoother...drives like a different vehicle with no slipping. Very happy! In case it helps anybody, here's dealer paperwork with FCA part #'s for sleeve, flywheel, clutch kit and all hardware. Mine didn't need the hose replaced.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 20200605_202955-

Boogerburns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
What's the status of your clutch?

My dealer continues to be very helpful...after 10 days, picked up jeep on Friday with complete new clutch after driving it 27k miles and it failing the recall.(provided a loaner car) I wasnt hard on this clutch and never smoked it.(owned 3 manuals previously and even managed 180k miles out of a Infiniti g35 clutch) Prior to this recall, the clutch was noticeably slipping lately and the dealer confirmed saying it slipped alot during their test and was in rough shape when they removed it. They also replaced the rear glass seal that was leaking a little and charged the battery.

The new clutch engages at a lower point and feels much smoother...drives like a different vehicle with no slipping. Very happy! In case it helps anybody, here's dealer paperwork with FCA part #'s for sleeve, flywheel, clutch kit and all hardware. Mine didn't need the hose replaced.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 20200605_202955-
Your work order looks a lot different than mine! But, I only had work done on the hose, not a pressure plate and clutch replacement.

Sponsored

nlgraham829

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got my Jeep back from the dealership. They said it passed the "clutch health check"

My initial observation is that the clutch feels a little more firm. More similar to manual transmission vehicles I have driven in the past. Time will tell if this is placebo or if it really is a little more firm.

For conversations sake I have 6400 miles on it.

Snake_Charmer

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My 2018 JLU has been at the shop for this recall since the first week of May. They did the test and determined that we did indeed have a problem. I knew that was going to happen because we had smelled the burning clutch several times in the preceding months. The dealership knows nothing as far as when it will be fixed, except they’re “waiting on parts”. My husband has called FCA numerous times only to be told that someone will call him back. No one has ever called back. Has anybody actually had their recall fixed? Or have any idea when a fix will be available? And does anyone have a number at FCA where you can actually reach someone who knows what the hell is going on? This is the fifth Jeep that we have owned. I’ve never had anything like this. They seem to think that since they’re giving me a loaner that that makes everything OK. It does not make everything OK because it’s not the jeep that I PAY FOR every month. They tell me don’t take it out of town, don’t put too many miles on it. I am wondering if I should contact an attorney?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
My 2018 JLU has been at the shop for this recall since the first week of May. They did the test and determined that we did indeed have a problem. I knew that was going to happen because we had smelled the burning clutch several times in the preceding months. The dealership knows nothing as far as when it will be fixed, except they’re “waiting on parts”. My husband has called FCA numerous times only to be told that someone will call him back. No one has ever called back. Has anybody actually had their recall fixed? Or have any idea when a fix will be available? And does anyone have a number at FCA where you can actually reach someone who knows what the hell is going on? This is the fifth Jeep that we have owned. I’ve never had anything like this. They seem to think that since they’re giving me a loaner that that makes everything OK. It does not make everything OK because it’s not the jeep that I PAY FOR every month. They tell me don’t take it out of town, don’t put too many miles on it. I am wondering if I should contact an attorney?
@JeepCares can likely help. I would start by asking the dealer what part(s) they’re waiting on. Many people have had their jeep fixed...read the posts above yours.

Snake_Charmer

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
@JeepCares can likely help. I would start by asking the dealer what part(s) they’re waiting on. Many people have had their jeep fixed...read the posts above yours.
Thank you I just sent them a message.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm on the same boat, even reached out to @JeepCares and I think they've thrown in the towel. They know even less than the dealer and because of that implied they aren't responsible now. My dealer swears up and down the clutch kit FCA sent as a replacement didn't work, now FCA won't send them a new kit and I believe them. Jeepcares says all they are waiting for is the hose sleeve. Crazy.

I'm going to ask that FCA cover my monthly payment. A loaner doesn't cover it, not even close.
Sponsored