Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
To those of you taking your JLs in for the inspection, if they do the clutch test and it fails, they are supposed to keep it until it's fixed and there is no visibility into the parts availability. If I knew then what I know now, I would have waited until there was more evidence of parts availability before I took mine in (at the time I was told parts were available if needed). I did not have any indication that my clutch had any issues.

I also think underutilized service departments may be pursuing this recall, increasing the likely hood of finding that the clutch needs replaced. Mine is at one dealer and I've had multiple communications from another dealer regarding the recall.

The clutch kit part number is CSDLW121AA and there are two other parts required. Although I don't have any concrete information, I am real suspicious that the recall repair kits consist of standard parts with return shipping labels or some other recall specific paperwork. I did a search for a 2019 JL clutch and was able to put one in my cart. Does that mean the existing dealer clutch kit inventory hasn't been recalled?
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] JL clutch kit.PNG

Edit: I just looked at the recall and saw that it details the part numbers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
To those of you taking your JLs in for the inspection, if they do the clutch test and it fails, they are supposed to keep it until it's fixed and there is no visibility into the parts availability. If I knew then what I know now, I would have waited until there was more evidence of parts availability before I took mine in (at the time I was told parts were available if needed). I did not have any indication that my clutch had any issues.

I also think underutilized service departments may be pursuing this recall, increasing the likely hood of finding that the clutch needs replaced. Mines at one dealer and I've had multiple communications from another dealer regarding the recall.

The clutch part number is CSDLW121AA and there are two other parts required. Although I don't have any concrete information, I am real suspicious that the recall repair kits consist of standard parts with return shipping labels or some other recall specific paperwork. I did a search for 2019 JL clutch and was able to put one in my cart. Does that mean the existing dealer clutch kit inventory hasn't been recalled?
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] JL clutch kit.PNG
I might be wrong but I don't think there are upgraded clutch internals as part of this fix. The idea is, from what I understand, that damaged hoses caused by rubbing introduce air into the system and that air causes the clutch to not fully disengage which overheats the clutch. The fix is really the protection of the hoses and the bleeding of the system. If required, they replace your worn clutch with a new one, but I am not sure that the parts are different than stock.

For your "underutilized service depts" theory, I can only say they inspected mine, installed the sleeves and that was the end of it so I don't think they are all necessarily looking to make work out of nothing - though I wouldn't put it past some dealerships, I guess.

Marshmongrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S Stingray
I just took a good look at the area in question. Obviously, from the outside, I didnt drop the tranny.
If Im understanding this correctly, there is a wiring harness that can come into contact and "rub" the hydraulic line. Which can then introduce air into the system, causing friction cuz the pressure plate isnt fully disengaging. The friction creates high heat which can escape the bell housing and rupture fuel lines relatively nearby. Goes BOOM.

Is this correct?
If so, it all starts with a typical wiring harness connector with some sharp edges.

Now, I looked at the area and if Im looking at the correct area, the contact would be at the part of the hydraulic line that has that mesh style covering. Which would make any abrasions easy to see, because it would fray.
I looked thoroughly at mine and there seems to be no contact whatsoever. I also ran thru all the gears thinking it might change the position of the area (didnt think it would, and it didnt. Just to be on safe side).

I will still bring it in and I imagine that they will both reroute the harness AND put a "heavier" sleeve over that mesh covered section.

For those of you who like to get under your Jeep and diagnose, am I in the right ballpark? Or is there something Im missing? Or am I actually not inspecting the right place?

Edit....almost forgot. I also performed that "clutch drop" test as described. It sounds alot worse than it actually is. Its really no big deal at all. My Jeep died immediately. No movement, no Rpm surge or slow drop. Died as it should.
Just thought Id share that the "test" is no biggie.

Been following this thread for awhile and I think you are a little off in the area you are looking. From, I think post #471, there is this link https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V124-1465.pdf . The area in question is under the hood drivers side I believe.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might be wrong but I don't think there are upgraded clutch internals as part of this fix. The idea is, from what I understand, that damaged hoses caused by rubbing introduce air into the system and that air causes the clutch to not fully disengage which overheats the clutch. The fix is really the protection of the hoses and the bleeding of the system. If required, they replace your worn clutch with a new one, but I am not sure that the parts are different than stock.

For your "underutilized service depts" theory, I can only say they inspected mine, installed the sleeves and that was the end of it so I don't think they are all necessarily looking to make work out of nothing - though I wouldn't put it past some dealerships, I guess.
There are special part numbers used for the recall, mine is waiting on the special parts. I also doubt that the parts are different.

Last edited:

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Been following this thread for awhile and I think you are a little off in the area you are looking. From, I think post #471, there is this link https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V124-1465.pdf . The area in question is under the hood drivers side I believe.
Thanks for that. I was looking underneath at the slave cylinder line right off the drivers side of the tranny.
Ill check up by the Master now....see how it looks. Thanks again for the clarification.

Sponsored

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ok, just looked. No leakage or deformation of the hose. I dont understand how that hose clip in question could even cause such damage to the line.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Some of speculation and hearsay going on in this thread is better than what you'll find in the magazine rack at the grocery store checkout line. Aside from the Shape mag covers, of course.

My JLUR has been in the shop for just over a week now, and my tech has been very transparent throughout the process. There's definitely a run for parts, and it's taking a while for them to be distributed. My parts are arriving slowly, and I'm hoping to have everything locked up in the next few days. Will share facts once everything's confirmed.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Some of speculation and hearsay going on in this thread is better than what you'll find in the magazine rack at the grocery store checkout line. Aside from the Shape mag covers, of course.

My JLUR has been in the shop for just over a week now, and my tech has been very transparent throughout the process. There's definitely a run for parts, and it's taking a while for them to be distributed. My parts are arriving slowly, and I'm hoping to have everything locked up in the next few days. Will share facts once everything's confirmed.
You mind sharing which Charlotte area dealer you are working with?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You mind sharing which Charlotte area dealer you are working with?
Not at all, it's the Hendrick Jeep in Concord.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I appreciate that you are waiting to share your experience, but what was your expectation when you dropped off your JLUR, were you experiencing any issues? I think it helps other people trying to decide what to do to know what others are currently experiencing.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate that you are waiting to share your experience, but what was your expectation when you dropped off your JLUR, were you experiencing any issues? I think it helps other people trying to decide what to do to know what others are currently experiencing.
Agreed, and that's exactly what was done. Flip back a few pages, and you'll see the post with that detail.

In short, I expected to leave it for several days, but not as long as this is taking to get the parts.

I was experiencing an occasional "clunk" when shifting gears. Evidently, my clutch plate had shattered in a few places.

Hindsight being what it is, I recall two specific incidents driving at highway speeds when it sounded like my Jeep was being shot at (similar to those old Western movie sounds). I now believe, since there were no bullet holes, that those sounds were my clutch plate fragmenting.

Somnium

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon - Sting Gray
Occupation
Systems Administrator - IT
So did my recall yesterday for my 6sp JLUR. about 4k miles on her. Zero problems with anything including the transmission. I have always owned at least 1 manual transmission car for the last 30 years. Both SUVs and sports cars. The 6 speed on the jeep took a little "getting used to". A bit soft and odd pick up points but like any manual you drive it and figure it out. The one spot that I had some trouble with nailing down the pick up points was going very slowly in reverse. I have probably stalled the jeep at least 4 or 5 times over the last 6 months in reverse. Always seemed odd to me but whatever. Again never had a burning smell (i know that smell) never felt any slipping at speed but again was "soft".

WELL - there was air in the line!! they bled the line and got all the air out and I can really feel an improvement. One of the things the jeep didnt do very well was roll forward or backwards on its own power, in 1st gear, foot off the clutch I always had to feather the gas a bit. Not anymore... Whole thing feels much more engaged. F@@K YAH...!!

anyway - yes they also did whatever the sleeve thing is and now im back on the road and feeling a lot better about my 6 speed.

Had them do another alignment just to check everything out and i was good to go. Bill was $0.00
even for the alignment.

stay safe out there !!!
This describes my experience to a Tee! I just racked it up to 'different vehicle - different clutch' and lived with it. Now I'm curious to see what they find when I take mine in.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Me too. It took almost 2000 miles of driving before I could drive it anywhere near as good as I used to drive my TJ. I have to say that turning off hill start assist also helped with this problem quite a bit. Rubi VT, I wonder if they turned yours off while they had it in the shop?

Reverse is definitely geared higher than first; so I have more trouble with that gear, too.

I wonder if I have air in my line, too??

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
Trying to schedule mine today the SA said the dealer used all their parts on the new inventory. So glad they thought about all the people already driving ones with a bad clutch

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Trying to schedule mine today the SA said the dealer used all their parts on the new inventory. So glad they thought about all the people already driving ones with a bad clutch
A dealer that cares about anything beyond selling their new vehicle inventory... :CWL:
Sponsored