Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
So I schedule an appointment with one of my "local" dealers, which is still close to 25 miles away. I provided my VIN and asked if they had the sleeve in stock. I was told that they did. I go in today and they tell me they have to order the sleeve as it is VIN specific. I tell them that all manual JLs produced to date need the sleeve as part of the recall. They tell me they will call me when they get the part it. Wasted 2 hours of my day dealing with them.

The positive is they did add some air to my tires ... so I have that going for me.
I'm pretty sure that when FCA service writers go to school, they are TAUGHT this strategy to discourage people from coming in for warranty work. I get the same kind of thing at my dealership.
Sponsored

Pierce

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
Just saw this:

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-124

Recall Date: March 3, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:
In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

SAFETY RISK:
If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

REMEDY:
The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.

RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:
For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

More info:

Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 1.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 2.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 3.png

Pierce

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
I have a 2020 jlu with about 6000 miles on it. I have had no major issues with the clutch but at times I thought I could smell a hot burning smell.
I took it onto the dealer for the recall
And they did find the hose in question was leaking. They told me they would gave the part the next day, i received a call later that the hose would not be in for another 3 days. I then get another call telling me that the part is in stock in chicago,but a control board or something like that has to approve the release of the hose before they can get the hose.
My dealer called his district rep and was told there is no info on when the hose will be released from stock.
I asked if the test for the clutch could be done now without a new hose,and was told the hose had to be replaced first. So I know I have a hose that leaks,they have them in stock,but I must wait until it is decided I am important enough to get a hose.

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Called dealer today. They need to order the VIN specific parts (sleeve?), and call me back. Also had to make sure they have a loaner available just in case.
Not looking forward to the clutch dump, but this service dept is pretty good, so see what happens.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Called dealer today. They need to order the VIN specific parts (sleeve?), and call me back. Also had to make sure they have a loaner available just in case.
Not looking forward to the clutch dump, but this service dept is pretty good, so see what happens.
The dealers response about the VIN specific part (sleeve) is a misnomer, every JL manual built and delivered to date need that sleeve. It is true it is VIN specific, but I feel it is a legal driven phrase. I thought about it yesterday after returning home without the recall being completed and wondered if stainless steel wrapped hoses are available to replace this hose and others like it carrying fluid. They would certainly be more robust than the sleeving they are adding.

The dealer did tell me that the clip in my JL has not punctured the hose, which is the root cause of the issue and waterfalls to the other failures. Once they add the sleeve, they remove the clip and bleed the system.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 jlu with about 6000 miles on it. I have had no major issues with the clutch but at times I thought I could smell a hot burning smell.
I took it onto the dealer for the recall
And they did find the hose in question was leaking. They told me they would gave the part the next day, i received a call later that the hose would not be in for another 3 days. I then get another call telling me that the part is in stock in chicago,but a control board or something like that has to approve the release of the hose before they can get the hose.
My dealer called his district rep and was told there is no info on when the hose will be released from stock.
I asked if the test for the clutch could be done now without a new hose,and was told the hose had to be replaced first. So I know I have a hose that leaks,they have them in stock,but I must wait until it is decided I am important enough to get a hose.
Sounds like you are getting hosed.

LOL, sorry, I just couldn't resist a perfect setup like that! I'll probably get hosed, too, when mine goes in.

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Well, what he actually said was he needed to "coordinate" this with FCA and he would give me a call back. Whatever that means...lol.
They are a relatively small dealer (which I prefer) and Im probly the only person who has called on this particular recall. He did sound somewhat confused.
Plus, not many MT drivers in my area.

trat73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Wrangler TJ, 2019 Wrangler JL
Have a 2019 JL Sport with the manual transmission. Has just under 4,000 miles. Besides being a very different clutch than my older TJ, it seems to be behaving normally. However, today I noticed that when I push the clutch in and rev the engine it makes a very strange rattling sound. Think this could be the clutch issue? No burning smell.

Boogerburns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
My JLU Sport S has a touch over 19k miles, and I took it in for the recall Friday. The hose that goes from the brake master cylinder reservoir to the clutch master cylinder was cracked and leaking. So I had to leave it there with them, and right now have their rubicon loaner. I talked to my service advisor earlier, and he said FCA has still not approved the request for parts, and hasn't responded to his inquiries about it.

I was surprised to hear that it had issues, because I wasn't having any issues shifting, or anything funny with the clutch. If you're at all worried about it, I do recommend taking it in, even if you're not experiencing symptoms. I thought I was going to get the inspection, get the all clear and get out of there, but the jeep just wanted to stay with them I guess.

Gotcha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I called my dealer last week. They stated there is multiple parts and one of them can’t be ordered until August.
There doesn’t appear to be a lot of urgency considering it’s “Safety Recall”
I sent JeepCares a PM.
Hoping it gets taken care of soon

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
My JLU Sport S has a touch over 19k miles, and I took it in for the recall Friday. The hose that goes from the brake master cylinder reservoir to the clutch master cylinder was cracked and leaking. So I had to leave it there with them, and right now have their rubicon loaner. I talked to my service advisor earlier, and he said FCA has still not approved the request for parts, and hasn't responded to his inquiries about it.

I was surprised to hear that it had issues, because I wasn't having any issues shifting, or anything funny with the clutch. If you're at all worried about it, I do recommend taking it in, even if you're not experiencing symptoms. I thought I was going to get the inspection, get the all clear and get out of there, but the jeep just wanted to stay with them I guess.
How long do they say it will take to fix your immediate issue?

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I had my appointment today. They added the sleeve but nothing further was needed for the clutch recall for my JLUR. I also had the radio flashed with new software which was the fix for the other outstanding recall related to backup camera issues, though I never saw an issue with my backup camera prior.

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So did my recall yesterday for my 6sp JLUR. about 4k miles on her. Zero problems with anything including the transmission. I have always owned at least 1 manual transmission car for the last 30 years. Both SUVs and sports cars. The 6 speed on the jeep took a little "getting used to". A bit soft and odd pick up points but like any manual you drive it and figure it out. The one spot that I had some trouble with nailing down the pick up points was going very slowly in reverse. I have probably stalled the jeep at least 4 or 5 times over the last 6 months in reverse. Always seemed odd to me but whatever. Again never had a burning smell (i know that smell) never felt any slipping at speed but again was "soft".

WELL - there was air in the line!! they bled the line and got all the air out and I can really feel an improvement. One of the things the jeep didnt do very well was roll forward or backwards on its own power, in 1st gear, foot off the clutch I always had to feather the gas a bit. Not anymore... Whole thing feels much more engaged. F@@K YAH...!!

anyway - yes they also did whatever the sleeve thing is and now im back on the road and feeling a lot better about my 6 speed.

Had them do another alignment just to check everything out and i was good to go. Bill was $0.00
even for the alignment.

stay safe out there !!!

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I just took a good look at the area in question. Obviously, from the outside, I didnt drop the tranny.
If Im understanding this correctly, there is a wiring harness that can come into contact and "rub" the hydraulic line. Which can then introduce air into the system, causing friction cuz the pressure plate isnt fully disengaging. The friction creates high heat which can escape the bell housing and rupture fuel lines relatively nearby. Goes BOOM.

Is this correct?
If so, it all starts with a typical wiring harness connector with some sharp edges.

Now, I looked at the area and if Im looking at the correct area, the contact would be at the part of the hydraulic line that has that mesh style covering. Which would make any abrasions easy to see, because it would fray.
I looked thoroughly at mine and there seems to be no contact whatsoever. I also ran thru all the gears thinking it might change the position of the area (didnt think it would, and it didnt. Just to be on safe side).

I will still bring it in and I imagine that they will both reroute the harness AND put a "heavier" sleeve over that mesh covered section.

For those of you who like to get under your Jeep and diagnose, am I in the right ballpark? Or is there something Im missing? Or am I actually not inspecting the right place?

Edit....almost forgot. I also performed that "clutch drop" test as described. It sounds alot worse than it actually is. Its really no big deal at all. My Jeep died immediately. No movement, no Rpm surge or slow drop. Died as it should.
Just thought Id share that the "test" is no biggie.

Last edited:
Reactions: zyt

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I have my appointment on Tuesday. The dealer said i need to have an inspection first to see if the recall is needed. I will ask them about the hose, because that should be done regardless.
I am not sure if they have the part yet. THey were vague about that.
Sponsored