Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Be aware that according to my service advisor, if you fail the clutch test they are not supposed to give the vehicle back to you until it's repaired. My dealer had the parts for the initial phase of the recall, so I dropped my JL off yesterday for the inspection. They decided it needed a clutch and the parts were available, so they ordered the parts expecting delivery today. That's when they told me they aren't supposed to release a vehicle that failed the test until it's repaired. They did offer a loaner if the parts don't arrive today.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm arranging for the availability of a loaner BEFORE they do the test, when I make the appointment. They are always good about that anyway, but I'm letting them know I need one. Once this one is done, the ol' JK goes back in. There is a very tiny seepage of transmission fluid from where the tranny and engine are coupled. That'll be their next warranty fix. Guessing the fasteners either need re-torqued or possibly a new seal. So I'll probably keep the loaner for a bit. I soooo want to have a Gladiator as a loaner!

I'm sure this whole thing is complicated. I'm actually impressed that it has gone forward this quickly with the Covid mess, to be honest. I thought it would be June or July before anyone saw the fix.

Reactions: zyt

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
Brought mine in this AM. Guess they tested it and figured out that my pressure plate is fine, but needs a new clutch line. Something about the hole being too small so the line gets pinched Occasionally, leading to my weird clutch feeling. 7-10 days for the part to arrive and i’ll get a call to bring my jeep back, but my clutch won’t blow up

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Sorry I'm a little late to this and am trying to figure out when this recall was issued and if any changes were made from the factory.. I just got my jeep from the factory about half a year ago, so wondering if this was addressed after all of these issues, or if I could also potentially have this problem.

Thanks to everyone and I hope everyone's issues are resolved and we don't see any more fires.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Sorry I'm a little late to this and am trying to figure out when this recall was issued and if any changes were made from the factory.. I just got my jeep from the factory about half a year ago, so wondering if this was addressed after all of these issues, or if I could also potentially have this problem.

Thanks to everyone and I hope everyone's issues are resolved and we don't see any more fires.
Half a year ago you have this problem. Check mopar.com [link to recall-vin search].

Sponsored

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Dropped mine off this morning, after JeepCares stepped in to assist with an appointment....dealer said they'd have it ready Monday afternoon....I asked the service rep what was the deal....he said the mechanic ordered a hose and couldn't tell me anything else....I assume I'm getting the sleeve protector....I've got 10.5k miles and have had zero issues this far.....

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
Two days ago, I spoke with a dealer in Nebraska, I was trying to purchase a Willy's from them. In the discussion, the recall on the manual came up, so they checked into it - more to follow.

The next day, I spoke with a guy I have been communicating with with Chrysler Corp, he confirmed what the dealer in Nebraska told me - again more to follow.

Yesterday (05/07/2020) I went to my dealer, who took my deposit back in February, he confirmed my build and what the above two entities told me.

Bottom line. The Ohio Factory, is scheduled to start the line back up on May 18th, not only building new product, but working on product ordered.

When the line starts back up, they will be building product with Manual Transmissions, so they have the "fix" and they have the parts.

My dealer told me that my order is confirmed and I can expect to have my finished build by the "end of June". Which concerns me.

If the line starts back up on May 18th as expected, why should it take another five weeks to get my Jeep built? Especially since I've already been waiting nearly five months ??

We can't blame Chrysler for the virus, I do blame them for the poor communications. My "waiting game" all started due to the clutch problem, then I had the bad luck because the virus hit - shutting down the factory.

If I had been told back in February there is an issue with building Manual Transmissions and Chrysler can't or won't build them until there is a fix for the problem, I may not have purchased one in the first place or opted for the Auto. But NO, the dealer kept telling me there isn't a problem, your build is being built - then any additional delay was not their fault.

Before placing my order, Chrysler knew of the clutch problem, but they took my order and my deposit anyway.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Figured I’d add to the list. Just called my dealer to do the recall and he said they haven’t released that one yet and to call back in a month or so. He said they are many waiting to get it done though but he’s not tracking any release on that one yet.

Didn’t surprise me reading different experiences people are having on this thread. I’ll call back in a few weeks and see what they say. I certainly don’t want to be the first few they do this on.
If you need any help, feel free to send us a PM with your VIN!

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I have my appointment set for Tuesday, May 12th. When I called to make the appointment this past Monday they said they needed to wait for the parts.

Sponsored

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I bought my 19 rubicon on the 27th of March, unknowingly it had a recall until I signed up for the jeep site. I made an appointment to get it inspecte for the 3rd of April. They said they said it would two weeks to fix the issue, but in the meantime would give me jlu sport as a loaner. They still haven't returned my call for updates. I don't think its just rerouting wires. I got it at 29 miles and got to put maybe 200. Too bad its taking so long.
The primary recall notice talks about wire re-routing ...etc. Considering my experience with
my local jeep dealership, I wouldn't even let them change the oil. Their parts department is even worse. If they were to replace the clutch / pressure plate they probably would order one
for a Ram PU. I haven't detected any slippage or smell from my 2018 after 10K miles. For the system to get that hot, it would need to slip quite a lot. Please be aware, with service and sales numbers falling, I wouldn't be surprise that they would replace the aforementioned just for the money. My BMW dealership normally changes the oil and filter for $169.00 + misc cost. Just
received e mail that they are offering oil service for $29.00 for 4 cylinders and $39.00 for 6 cyl. with the added feature that they would discount any repairs by 30%. Do they believe we all just fell
off the turnip truck. BMWs are autos one never brings to a BMW dealership for service unless it free. Please don't believe the notice at the bottom of the re-call notice, if it already repaired submit the invoices for the repair. BULL S_ _ t. I have been still waiting for several months
for the steering damper. I live my Jeep, it great to drive and I want it to stay that way by not having jeep mechanics work on it. Some of you guys may be lucky and have a great service department, unfortunately, I don't.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Be aware that according to my service advisor, if you fail the clutch test they are not supposed to give the vehicle back to you until it's repaired. My dealer had the parts for the initial phase of the recall, so I dropped my JL off yesterday for the inspection. They decided it needed a clutch and the parts were available, so they ordered the parts expecting delivery today. That's when they told me they aren't supposed to release a vehicle that failed the test until it's repaired. They did offer a loaner if the parts don't arrive today.
Parts availability update. I'm not sure what the service advisor was looking at before, but now the updated information (what i'm being told) about the recall part is that it's a special recall part number, it takes a VIN to order it, they don't show inventory status online and no shipping information is available, you get it when you get it.

Will I ever see my Wrangler again?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
interesting that they want you to set the parking brake but then no mention of releasing it prior to letting the clutch out.......
That would defeat the purpose of the test. You don’t want the car to move. You are testing whether the clutch is strong enough to overpower the engine and kill it right away (pass) or is not (fail).
Sponsored