Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

smoothdurban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
The test concerns me. I mean pulling a clutch dump in 4th gear at 4k RPM while doing a WOT isn't something I would deem as reasonable without expecting damage. My main concern is if I bring my vehicle in and the dealer performs said test and then says my clutch passed will FCA warrant a future clutch failure, or will they attribute it to natural wear and tear and not cover it?

My vehicle has shown no signs of issues and I barely have 5k miles on it
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The test concerns me. I mean pulling a clutch dump in 4th gear at 4k RPM while doing a WOT isn't something I would deem as reasonable without expecting damage. My main concern is if I bring my vehicle in and the dealer performs said test and then says my clutch passed will FCA warrant a future clutch failure, or will they attribute it to natural wear and tear and not cover it?

My vehicle has shown no signs of issues and I barely have 5k miles on it
It's not just FCA. Every manufacturer I know of has had that same basic clutch test. If the clutch is good, your motor stalls immediately and wear is little to none. If it doesn't stall, your clutch is bad.

The danger is in the fine print. The recall states "have the test performed by a tech experienced in manual transmissions". Sadly, I'd bet many dealerships don't have any techs "experienced with manual transmissions". If the tech lets out the clutch too slowly, he can cook it and glaze surfaces. It may pass the test but it's going to have problems later.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
interesting that they want you to set the parking brake but then no mention of releasing it prior to letting the clutch out.......
What's interesting about that? The don't want the jeep to move when dumping the clutch. The goal is to get an instant stall.

brbutler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 6-speed, 2016 VW GTI 6-speed, 1984 Porsche 928S 5-speed
interesting that they want you to set the parking brake but then no mention of releasing it prior to letting the clutch out.......
The idea for keeping the parking brake applied while dumping the clutch in 4th gear at 4k RPM is to make it stall. If it stalls without the clutch slipping, it is presumed that the clutch itself is fine. If it slips before stalling, or doesn't stall, then the clutch is damaged and needs to be replaced.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Fortunately, my dealer does indeed have a tech that is very good with manual transmissions. Heck, even my salesman was good with it. Those folks are getting fewer and fewer, unfortunately.

Sponsored

hmz236

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Just got a call back from my service advisor.
They'll be keeping my Jeep overnight. Apparently they don't have the part they need to complete the recall because it is VIN specific.
They had to order it and will have it tomorrow. I asked what part it was but didn't get any specifics and was told it was something they haven't had to order for this recall yet.

Anyways after that part is replaced they will be performing the so called clutch test and if it fails I'll be getting a clutch replacement. At least they have the clutch on hand if it does need to be changed out :LOL:

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Called my local dealership Walser Jeep in Hopkins, MN. They told me they don't currently have the parts in stock and their limited to 6 orders of these parts a week. They have me scheduled for next week. So far they have been real nice to work with. I didn't ask about a loaner but they said it was going to take at least 5 hours. I told them if they need it for 3 days no big deal. Jeep is just sitting in the garage anyways.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Figured I’d add to the list. Just called my dealer to do the recall and he said they haven’t released that one yet and to call back in a month or so. He said they are many waiting to get it done though but he’s not tracking any release on that one yet.

Didn’t surprise me reading different experiences people are having on this thread. I’ll call back in a few weeks and see what they say. I certainly don’t want to be the first few they do this on.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Remeber, some dealerships have sold few, if any, manual transmission JL's, so it doesn't surprise me that we see some that are not knowlegeable of this recall. Some may have to alert them so they can go back and look more closely at the notifications they overlooked. Of course, those are the dealerships that would have to pass my quiz on their ability to actually diagnose it accurately and fix it, too. Fortunately, my dealership has sold a fair amount of JL's with them and sold plenty of manual JK's, too, so they've got several techs who know their way around them.

I'm hoping to set my appointment up soon. I'm guessing mine will pass the test, but who knows? I still want to get the mods on the parts.

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I have been waiting for over a week for parts, and now I have been told by the dealership and their parts department that: "The parts are not being released because the campaign is on hold."

Concerning info...will pass anything else I hear after I talk to JeepCares in a few hours.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been waiting for over a week for parts, and now I have been told by the dealership and their parts department that: "The parts are not being released because the campaign is on hold."

Concerning info...will pass anything else I hear after I talk to JeepCares in a few hours.
I'd have them produce documentation that shows it is on hold or show you the screen that's telling them that. Doesn't sound like it is on hold but it does sound like the parts are readily available from the testimony around here.

One more thing....ask them how many quarts of oil go in the JL 3.6.

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I'd have them produce documentation that shows it is on hold or show you the screen that's telling them that. Doesn't sound like it is on hold but it does sound like the parts are readily available from the testimony around here.

One more thing....ask them how many quarts of oil go in the JL 3.6.
Quarts in a 3.6....oh boy..."what ever it doesn't say in the book"...haha

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Of course, it could be true. Maybe more showed up initially than anticipated and put a run on the parts? I am calling my dealership here in a minute to see if I can get the appointment set up and get this thing wrapped up.

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, first of all I get it. Certain dealerships will not sell many if any at all M/T. I live on Long Island, not the Mecca for M/T sales I'm sure. But you can't say that these dealerships are having a hard time getting a protective sleeve and a bleeder kit from FCA for phase 1 of insp. They at least should have that. Yes, maybe they have to order clutches and other hardware that I can understand. Again mine was done 2 days ago and they had the "FIX" in stock

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Based on this thread, it appears that FCA is saying at least the sleeve is VIN-specific. Which I doubt is true as far as compatibility, but looking from a logistics perspective, it does allow them to send the correct number of sleeves to the correct dealers. How else would anyone propose doing this? If dealer X sold 1,000 M/T Jeeps, send them 1,000 sleeves? I know I am not getting this service done where I bought my Jeep, and this is probably the case with a lot of people. When buying, people look for the best price. When getting service performed, people look at ratings/recommendations/location -- especially if it's free **cough** recall **cough**.

Sending all service departments a couple of kits and then waiting for appointments based on VIN lets them ship parts to places that need them and helps prevent one service department receiving 100 kits they will never use. And then limiting how many kits a service department can order at one time also helps, as people cancel appointments all the time.

All that said, telling people it will be a month before parts are available seems extreme, and I would get Jeep Cares involved in that one.
Sponsored