Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

M151

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon (2 door)
Hi Guys, after several months of waiting for: a) My jeep to be built and b) The W12 recall to be solved, my dealership finally released my vehicle so I could close the deal. I cannot speak as to what the vehicle felt like before anything was made to it since the dealership would not even let me test drive it (yes, it sat on their garage for 2 months until now). The W12 Recall was completed and I have a document to share.

The Work order along with FCA's diagnosis and repair procedure (up to the Clutch Health Check Procedure).

It appears that there are several stages. It's a progressive check which can end up in a clutch replacement IF the vehicle fails the scary clutch test. I for one would have told the dealership to not do that to my vehicle and take my chances but I had no choice. At least my vehicle is factory new and if anything happens to it, warranty had to kick in.

I drove the vehicle for almost 100 miles, using back roads while observing the Engine Break In recommended procedure. Vehicle has 120 miles on it so I have not been above 55mph but so far there are no issues or smell or anything of that nature.

What I do have is that stupid "dead zone" in my steering and it is killing me. If anyone has the link to the solution in one of the treads, please share it!!

Hope this post helps some of you out there.

Thanks!!!

PD: Whole .pdf is 25 pages long and too large to upload. If you want the whole thing just PM me with an email and I will gladly send it over.
Sponsored

Attachments

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys, after several months of waiting for: a) My jeep to be built and b) The W12 recall to be solved, my dealership finally released my vehicle so I could close the deal. I cannot speak as to what the vehicle felt like before anything was made to it since the dealership would not even let me test drive it (yes, it sat on their garage for 2 months until now). The W12 Recall was completed and I have a document to share.

The Work order along with FCA's diagnosis and repair procedure (up to the Clutch Health Check Procedure).

It appears that there are several stages. It's a progressive check which can end up in a clutch replacement IF the vehicle fails the scary clutch test. I for one would have told the dealership to not do that to my vehicle and take my chances but I had no choice. At least my vehicle is factory new and if anything happens to it, warranty had to kick in.

I drove the vehicle for almost 100 miles, using back roads while observing the Engine Break In recommended procedure. Vehicle has 120 miles on it so I have not been above 55mph but so far there are no issues or smell or anything of that nature.

What I do have is that stupid "dead zone" in my steering and it is killing me. If anyone has the link to the solution in one of the treads, please share it!!

Thanks!!!

PD: Whole .pdf is 25 pages long and too large to upload. If you want the whole thing just PM me with an email and I will gladly send it over.
Don't worry about your clutch. Mine survived worse torture than that test, much as I don't like that test, and survived. Twice. No issues. That's why I'm considering just telling them to bleed it and install the shields and leave the rest the f*^k alone.

M151

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon (2 door)
Don't worry about your clutch. Mine survived worse torture than that test, much as I don't like that test, and survived. Twice. No issues. That's why I'm considering just telling them to bleed it and install the shields and leave the rest the f*^k alone.
Thanks for the peace of mind DanW

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Let's say I was "mildly optimistic" when I assumed they would be replacing everyone's clutch and flywheel. Now that they are going cheap, they probably aren't going to
Yeah...slim to nil chance they replace everybody's clutch over a relatively low % of jeeps having issues.

Nohair989

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
All of the parts are currently available. What dealer did you speak with?
If you'd like us to schedule an appointment for you, feel free to send us a PM with your VIN.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Good evening Kaitlin. I called Olathe CDJR this morning to schedule my clutch recall and was also put on a wait list. The service guy told me it would be quite a while as they were only allowed to order one clutch fix every 14 days. At this rate, it might be 2023 or 2024 before mine gets checked. Sounds like there aren't nearly enough replacement parts for everybody's ride yet.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not crazy about them spinning my clutch in 4th gear either but remember folks if you refuse this recall and yours does break apart or worse your Jeep burns up......They're gonna tell you.... See Ya!

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I had mine done. Moved the wire harness and otherwise all checked out okay. Took a few hours and moving on with life.

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I bit the bullet and called the dealership. They said it's first come first served i had to ask him if he was talking about recall W12 cause I had not mentioned which recall. He said yes, i just got done with one took about 1 1/2 hours. So I'm in at 8 am tomorrow. I will be watching every step he takes lol. Their parking lot is very small wonder, where he'll take it to test my clutch.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the peace of mind DanW
No prob. My neighbor told me when my wife did it, there was more than smell. There was smoke. He ran over and helped her to realize she was in either 3rd or 5th gear. I think it was 5th. My bro-in law did the same. I watched him do it and damned near cried. I think he was also in 5th. It didn't smoke when he did it, but I was behind him in my JK and it smelled as strong as if the JK had done it. :swear:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
My Jeep went under the knife today. There are a number if stages involved (5, I think?) with the inspection. I'm told the scope of work within those tiers range from basic inspection and cleaning to total transmission replacement. Mine was diagnosed as a stage 4. Good news is the Jeep will be returned with new clutch components, the bad news is that's about a week away. Parts are available, though the deeper into the stages you are, the more parts and time are needed. We have a great service department here, and I'm quite pleased with how Jeep's handled this.

I was provided with a loaner, which is nice. The funny thing is it's a base model Sport (Crank windows!), and driving it is quite the shock factor when leaving behind a built Rubicon. Have to hand it to @Rock Krawler Suspension, as I knew my suspension rode well, but riding in the base Sport today really proved how superior the RK gear is.

Now for the wait...
Thanks for the info. I'm curious...did you ask them what does a stage 4 diagnosis involve? What specific parts are they replacing?

Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks!!!

Thank you for posting the procedure. It helps me to know what to expect, but I’m in no rush for this “fix” as I’ve not had any concerns with my clutch.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I'm curious...did you ask them what does a stage 4 diagnosis involve? What specific parts are they replacing?
It's looking like a full clutch replacement. My clutch plates had a few sections that shattered. They shared the detail, but all i heard related to the debris found.

I do recall driving on the interstate and hearing what sounded like the Jeep getting shot at. I can't say for sure, but I think it was the sound of the plate fragmenting. Happened on two separate occasions.

Also, the clutch seemed to work fine most of the time, but every know and then, I'd get a solid knock when releasing the pedal. Who knows!?

Eager to get it back!

M151

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon (2 door)
No prob. My neighbor told me when my wife did it, there was more than smell. There was smoke. He ran over and helped her to realize she was in either 3rd or 5th gear. I think it was 5th. My bro-in law did the same. I watched him do it and damned near cried. I think he was also in 5th. It didn't smoke when he did it, but I was behind him in my JK and it smelled as strong as if the JK had done it. :swear:
YIKES!!!!! No bueno!!!

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I just got the appointment for next week. He told me there was an initial inspection and then a multi step procedure depending and if it needed more parts they would have to order them. So that makes sense to the procedure someone posted further up in the thread.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I'm not crazy about them spinning my clutch in 4th gear either but remember folks if you refuse this recall and yours does break apart or worse your Jeep burns up......They're gonna tell you.... See Ya!
They aren't spinning it. They are reving and dumping the clutch. If it stalls immediately, should be minimal/no impact to clutch. If it doesn't stall immediately and slips instead, they are supposed to replace it.

I don't love it and am concerned about the stress in other components, but not the clutch itself.
Sponsored