Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
My question is, and this is VERY RHETORICAL because I know the answer, something for all Jeep/Chrysler buyers should take into consideration before putting our hard earned cash down. Without "us buyers" the automakers can't sell a product.

...now that I'm off my soap box. The problem with the Clutch / Bell Housing, has been around for years - otherwise why the recall going back to 2017 ...just skim through the posts in this web site, you will find examples of this problem going back for years. One will also find examples of how owners have simply been "blown off" and the manufacture doing it's best not to address the problem.

I tried back in February to place an order, could not place the order due to the RECALL, since the public announcement of bad clutches, there still isn't a fix. I can't believe this when they have know about the problem for years !

Chrysler has done a "piss poor" job of first communicating with it's dealers about the problem, then gave "insult to injury" by not having a fix by now. I would bet real money, none of the top executives drive a Jeep, if they did there would be a fix by now.

We can understand, Jeep/Chrysler can't build new products due to the factory shut down, the shut down was not due to their causing. What I do blame them for is the poor communication and lack of a fix by now. If they don't have the fix for the problem, why are they giving Jeep owners such a hard time when the Jeep owners are not only willing to find the fix themselves, but also are only asking for reimbursement of Parts and or Labor.

Sorry, I got back on my soap box there for a minute.

I want to thank the people who are posting in this web site. From this web site I learned before my dealer that there was a recall. I also learned from the postings, just how much the Jeep/Chrysler corporation is making off us buyers.

Don't get me wrong, I want my Jeep, and I'm still hanging in there. They have a "one of a kind" product. ...but they sure treat us buyers like mushrooms " keep us in the dark and feed us B.S."

I will think twice before buying another Jeep product.
Thank you for your forthright reply to this issue. Unfortunately
FCA is only focused on the bottom line, and not on how loyal
jeep owners have supported their products through the years. When
someone markets a comparable off-road product, things will change
and not until.
Sponsored

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
Thank you for your forthright reply to this issue. Unfortunately
FCA is only focused on the bottom line, and not on how loyal
jeep owners have supported their products through the years. When
someone markets a comparable off-road product, things will change
and not until.
You are very correct on this, there really isn't a comparable product - yet. When the new Bronco comes out, I will be taking a close look - but I really want the Jeep.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I have the vehicle outlined in the posted recall notice. To date I
haven't received any recall notice from FCA, or noted any of the issues reported in the posts. The thought of not venturing out with a vehicle flagged with such a possible failure is disheartening. Best to travel in groups off-roadand close to home.

I am not too concerned about safety with this issue. It probably would require a very high abuse of the clutch to get it heated to that level on highway or on city streets.
But I agree, in off roading situation, there may be more risk but even then it would give you enough signals before something extreme happens. This recall applies to JLs from 2018 so people have been driving this for two years now.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
It probably would require a very high abuse of the clutch to get it heated to that level on highway or on city streets.
I think part of the problem is there is slipping going on generating heat without people noticing it. I agree about not being too concerned about safety - but if I have people in the car talking, listening to music, have the top off, ... I'm being extra diligent looking out for any slipping that is quietly occurring. I don't think the recall is here because of people subjecting their clutch to "very high abuse", it is because we shouldn't have to be extra diligent about detecting clutch slippage in fear of exploding pressure plates and fire.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I can feel mine slipping when I drive it up the hill from my house. The hill is about 2 miles long. Sometimes I can smell it when I get to the top of the hill.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I can feel mine slipping when I drive it up the hill from my house. The hill is about 2 miles long. Sometimes I can smell it when I get to the top of the hill.
Are you riding with your foot on it, or is it fully in gear and clutch out with your foot off of it? If fully engaged and your foot is off of it, then your clutch is either out of adjustment or has a more serious problem. You should never smell it like that when the clutch is engaged. There should be no slipping, at all.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Are you riding with your foot on it, or is it fully in gear and clutch out with your foot off of it? If fully engaged and your foot is off of it, then your clutch is either out of adjustment or has a more serious problem. You should never smell it like that when the clutch is engaged. There should be no slipping, at all.
Definitely not riding the clutch. I’m pretty good with rev-matching to the extent that I don’t even let it slip much during gear changes.

I agree that I shouldn’t be able to feel any slipping or smell, but there it is. I probably would have been to a dealer about it by now, but:

1: It’s not my DD
2: There isn’t a long term fix for the issue, so there’s no good reason to let it sit on a dealer lot instead of my garage, while I wait to have it fixed.

I definitely had a “yup” moment when the recall was announced.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
If it's any consolation, out of approximately 35000 Jeeps recalled, there were warranty claims for only 35 for this issue.
That is 0.1%. Out of this, I am sure some were for misuse too.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If it's any consolation, out of approximately 35000 Jeeps recalled, there were warranty claims for only 35 for this issue.
That is 0.1%. Out of this, I am sure some were for misuse too.
Huh?

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
There were warranty claims for 35 vehicles for this issue out of 35000 M/T Jeeps sold from 2018 - 2020. One case of minor injury due to this issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
What in God's name are you talking about? The "computer" cannot operate the clutch. Your vehicle may have a problem if you have an engine rev while you are not touching the clutch pedal.
The unexpected engine rev may be a slipping clutch I guess?

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
"...RemedyFCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on affected vehicles to reroute a wire harness and inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed."

They're not going to give everyone free clutches, they're going to look at them and say its OK if your Jeep isn't on fire.

So all you can do, prepare for the worst, hope for the best...
IMGL3420.JPG
Make sure to get the hand sanitizer out if the Jeep catches fire. ;)

Last edited:

JSG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
I bought my 19 rubicon on the 27th of March, unknowingly it had a recall until I signed up for the jeep site. I made an appointment to get it inspecte for the 3rd of April. They said they said it would two weeks to fix the issue, but in the meantime would give me jlu sport as a loaner. They still haven't returned my call for updates. I don't think its just rerouting wires. I got it at 29 miles and got to put maybe 200. Too bad its taking so long.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I bought my 19 rubicon on the 27th of March, unknowingly it had a recall until I signed up for the jeep site. I made an appointment to get it inspecte for the 3rd of April. They said they said it would two weeks to fix the issue, but in the meantime would give me jlu sport as a loaner. They still haven't returned my call for updates. I don't think its just rerouting wires. I got it at 29 miles and got to put maybe 200. Too bad its taking so long.
Did you buy new or used? If it was new or bought used from a dealer, the dealership shouldn't have sold you that in the first place - it is against the law.
Sponsored