Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

EMTJEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
for the longest time I thought I was going nuts. I mentioned it to the original dealer I bought it from when I had the stabilizer recall done “that’s just how the new Jeeps are”. Well, no, it isn’t. I had gears done in it shortly after but that didn’t correct the issue, made it more fun to drive but the issue persisted. Then the recall came out. I have moved and am dealing with a new and smaller dealer that seems to be much better with these things. I’m trying to get some info on how much Jeep will pay if we have an aftermarket clutch put in it. Looking at the centerforce option at $1100 and a few bucks for my friends shop to install. I’d rather go the aftermarket route if it’s even covering half. Until then I’m rowing gears like a drag car
I had ordered a centerforce clutch last month but it was on backorder and ended up getting a refund. Then i found out about this recall around the same time and decided that if i could get the clutch replaced under the recall for free, might as well do that. I spoke with the case manager that was assigned to me from FCA and asked about getting a reimbursement if i was to install a new clutch myself whether it be OEM or aftermarket and he said that they won't guarantee a reimbursement. So for now i am just going to hold out and see if i can get it replaced under the recall, if not, i am definitely going to install the centerforce.
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just installed the centerforce. Afterwards
Appears fantastic. Ran into an issue, slave cylinder ran out of travel and i blew out the seals in it. Waiting for a new slave cylinder and then going to investigate issue. I may have botched it or the new clutch clearances may be off. Hopefully i have it resolved soon.

FCA said they would reimburse me after i got recall performed... no thank you

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I just installed the centerforce. Afterwards
Appears fantastic. Ran into an issue, slave cylinder ran out of travel and i blew out the seals in it. Waiting for a new slave cylinder and then going to investigate issue. I may have botched it or the new clutch clearances may be off. Hopefully i have it resolved soon.

FCA said they would reimburse me after i got recall performed... no thank you
I've been wondering if the hydraulic slave cylinder seals would handle the increased pedal pressure from the Centerforce clutch. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has problems.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've been wondering if the hydraulic slave cylinder seals would handle the increased pedal pressure from the Centerforce clutch. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has problems.
Nah, Centerforce has a more appropriate pressure than the stock unit, but in no danger of damaging cylinder. Only explanation is that I missed the clutch fork when I assembled it. Everything from Centerforce was perfect.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
2018 JLUR, ~14,000 miles, almost 2 yrs old. I saw the recall after logging into my Jeep account. I hadn’t received any kind of notification otherwise. I called my local dealer, not the dealer I bought it from, and gave them the recall #. They found it and gladly scheduled an inspection for this week. They didn’t seem to understand that the recall says to re-route a wiring harness so I made sure to mention that it would be more than just an inspection. I’ll mention it again when I drop it off and print out the documents provided here so I can give them a copy. I like most people don’t trust dealer service shops. In this case we really have to choice. I’m not going to put in aftermarket parts.

Forgot to mention. I have noticed a burnt smell maybe 3-4 times throughout my ownership of the Wrangler. I have not noticed the clutch slipping but it’s not something I was necessarily looking for. If it was excessive I probably would have noticed it so if it happened it may have been minor slippage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just got off the phone with my dealership. Looks like the inspection and rerouting of the wiring harness is not the complete fix, it is more of a safety inspection to make sure there aren't any obvious signs of a potential issue. They also told me that Chrysler is still working on a permanent fix for this recall.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
They're being pretty nonchalant about something that could possibly cause loss of life... Inspection but no details on what they plan to inspect?

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
They're being pretty nonchalant about something that could possibly cause loss of life... Inspection but no details on what they plan to inspect?
Agreed, though I do believe rerouting the wiring harness is supposed to prevent a "catastrophic" failure. Still though, a clutch failing on the highway can't be fun....

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I spent about an hour this morning calling my local dealer and the FCA assistance line, trying to get a voucher to cover the cost of having a Centerforce clutch installed. They told me that I would have to pay for the labor and parts, and then file some paperwork and they “may” reimburse “some” of my costs. I told them I was totally fine with supplying the parts, I just wanted a labor voucher...

The lady on the phone tried to tell me that replacing the pressure plate might not resolve the issue of the OEM pressure plate fracturing... I told her I don’t care if it fractures after they replace it. ;)

In the end, I was given the same option to let Jeep install the aftermarket unit, then “maybe” get “some” of the costs refunded.

Also I learned that there is currently no ETA for a fix. I realize these are unprecedented times, but I approached FCA with a resolution to get mine safely back on the road months ahead of their time table without them having to pay for parts, and they basically told me to shove off. @JeepCares

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I spent about an hour this morning calling my local dealer and the FCA assistance line, trying to get a voucher to cover the cost of having a Centerforce clutch installed. They told me that I would have to pay for the labor and parts, and then file some paperwork and they “may” reimburse “some” of my costs. I told them I was totally fine with supplying the parts, I just wanted a labor voucher...

The lady on the phone tried to tell me that replacing the pressure plate might not resolve the issue of the OEM pressure plate fracturing... I told her I don’t care if it fractures after they replace it. ;)

In the end, I was given the same option to let Jeep install the aftermarket unit, then “maybe” get “some” of the costs refunded.

Also I learned that there is currently no ETA for a fix. I realize these are unprecedented times, but I approached FCA with a resolution to get mine safely back on the road months ahead of their time table without them having to pay for parts, and they basically told me to shove off. @JeepCares
Wait until they have a fix, if it involves removing the transmission for any reason then ask your dealership to install the clutch for you instead as the tranny is already off. This is what I asked my dealership and they agreed. They let me know they would charge me 1 hour of labor and I was fine with that.

Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Wait until they have a fix, if it involves removing the transmission for any reason then ask your dealership to install the clutch for you instead as the tranny is already off. This is what I asked my dealership and they agreed. They let me know they would charge me 1 hour of labor and I was fine with that.
Waiting an unknown amount of time is problematic to me by itself. Then, there is the possibility that they may not have a reason to open the bell housing, and choose to shield components from the supersonic pieces of a fractured pressure plate.

I live in an area with a lot of hills and I know my clutch slips when it isn’t supposed to. I’m trying to get ahead of the issue, and FCA isn’t helping.

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Got my notice yesterday with the super helpful update on taking the top off. Good times. Came right here and realized I should have been checking in more often, as you guys knew about this a long time ago....now the waiting game....

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Just saw this:

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-124

Recall Date: March 3, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:

In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

SAFETY RISK:

If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

REMEDY:

The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.

RECALL STATUS:

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:

For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

More info:

Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 1.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 2.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 3.png
I have the vehicle outlined in the posted recall notice. To date I
haven't received any recall notice from FCA, or noted any of the issues reported in the posts. The thought of not venturing out with a vehicle flagged with such a possible failure is disheartening. Best to travel in groups off-roadand close to home.

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
My question is, and this is VERY RHETORICAL because I know the answer, something for all Jeep/Chrysler buyers should take into consideration before putting our hard earned cash down. Without "us buyers" the automakers can't sell a product.

...now that I'm off my soap box. The problem with the Clutch / Bell Housing, has been around for years - otherwise why the recall going back to 2017 ...just skim through the posts in this web site, you will find examples of this problem going back for years. One will also find examples of how owners have simply been "blown off" and the manufacture doing it's best not to address the problem.

I tried back in February to place an order, could not place the order due to the RECALL, since the public announcement of bad clutches, there still isn't a fix. I can't believe this when they have know about the problem for years !

Chrysler has done a "piss poor" job of first communicating with it's dealers about the problem, then gave "insult to injury" by not having a fix by now. I would bet real money, none of the top executives drive a Jeep, if they did there would be a fix by now.

We can understand, Jeep/Chrysler can't build new products due to the factory shut down, the shut down was not due to their causing. What I do blame them for is the poor communication and lack of a fix by now. If they don't have the fix for the problem, why are they giving Jeep owners such a hard time when the Jeep owners are not only willing to find the fix themselves, but also are only asking for reimbursement of Parts and or Labor.

Sorry, I got back on my soap box there for a minute.

I want to thank the people who are posting in this web site. From this web site I learned before my dealer that there was a recall. I also learned from the postings, just how much the Jeep/Chrysler corporation is making off us buyers.

Don't get me wrong, I want my Jeep, and I'm still hanging in there. They have a "one of a kind" product. ...but they sure treat us buyers like mushrooms " keep us in the dark and feed us B.S."

I will think twice before buying another Jeep product.
Sponsored