Chazdog

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Mine's a 2020, which I ordered in May and took delivery of in July of last year. As soon as I knew my VIN, I checked it against FCA's list of VINs affected by the clutch recall. I was pleased to see it wasn't on the list.

Then about a month ago I get the recall notice in the mail. So now I'm thinking WTF? But reading this thread it sounds like the fix is the software patch, so I guess that's why I got the recall.

Regarding rev hang, mine did it occasionally when it was new, but hasn't done it at all in a long time. FWIW, when it did hang it was at 2500-3K, not the higher engine speeds others have reported.
Did the recent recall notice indicate an estimated date for when the software fix would be available to you? My dealership is saying late June. Meanwhile stop sale orders remain in place on their affected inventory, including the Wrangler I have under contract to buy.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Nope, no date was given. In fact, it didn't even say that there was a solution (like a software update). All it said was that no solution had been identified yet and that they would get back in touch with me when there was one.

I love my Jeep, but this is hardly what I'd call confidence-inspiring.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Nope, no date was given. In fact, it didn't even say that there was a solution (like a software update). All it said was that no solution had been identified yet and that they would get back in touch with me when there was one.

I love my Jeep, but this is hardly what I'd call confidence-inspiring.
Dealers don’t know details like these. If you read through the gazillion pages of the thread dedicated to this recall you can see JeepCares chimes in a few times. It’s confirmed to be a software fix and its number is Y07.

I bet we see it at the end of this month or early next. Just my guess.

Taken from my Jeep phone app just now:

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch recall and fix question 1618089345440

OP
OP
Chazdog

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Dealers don’t know details like these. If you read through the gazillion pages of the thread dedicated to this recall you can see JeepCares chimes in a few times. It’s confirmed to be a software fix and its number is Y07.

I bet we see it at the end of this month or early next. Just my guess.

Taken from my Jeep phone app just now:

1618089345440.png
I hope your guess is right. This Wrangler was a rare find, having the few must haves - 2 door S with anti slip and soft top. The bonus being low miles (22K). Worth waiting for, I think.

Attachments

OP
OP
Chazdog

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
I hope your guess is right. This Wrangler was a rare find, having the few must haves - 2 door S with anti slip and soft top. The bonus being low miles (22K). Worth waiting for, I think.
UPDATE: Just spoke with a Jeep corporate based rep and he informed me that they are estimating another 2 months wait time for the software fix on existing 2018-2020 manuals. This is a deal killer for me on this particular purchase. My wife thinks we should consider a new one because the exploding clutch plate issue has been resolved on 2021s. Anybody out there with a 2021 manual that can offer some advice based on your experience?

Sponsored

Rfolsom

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 willys unlimited
UPDATE: Just spoke with a Jeep corporate based rep and he informed me that they are estimating another 2 months wait time for the software fix on existing 2018-2020 manuals. This is a deal killer for me on this particular purchase. My wife thinks we should consider a new one because the exploding clutch plate issue has been resolved on 2021s. Anybody out there with a 2021 manual that can offer some advice based on your experience?
I have a 2021 that I bought in November. It is scheduled to get the recall fix on Friday (4/30/2021). I can let everyone know if it drives any differently. I haven't had any issues yet with it.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
My Jeep, according to my owners website already had this recall done when I picked it up. Drives find to me, but I don't know it would drove prior to the recall.

OP
OP
Chazdog

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
My Jeep, according to my owners website already had this recall done when I picked it up. Drives find to me, but I don't know it would drove prior to the recall.
The 21s have had the fix since January, mainly because Jeep couldn’t sell them until they came into compliance. So all of you guys are good - haven’t heard any complaints that the flash noticeably changed anything. It’s the 2018 - 2020s that are still waiting. And in my case, waiting for delivery on a 2018 CPO because of the government mandated stop sale order. Frustrating.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Digging up an old thread here rather than start a new one.

I have a 2018 (very early build, for a 2 door) manual Rubi. I got the letter for the recall about a month ago. I'm not new to clutch issues, I've been complaining to my dealer about the clutch vibration (Relevant thread) since day one. I guess the consensus is that this is rev hang? That's still happening. Anyway, I didn't think much of it and didn't even read the explanation about de-powering and torque management.

I scheduled the work and I've had it back for about a week now. I haven't noticed any difference in power or torque at all. I run 35" Patagonia's, so I figure I should have noticed something. Now that I know my torque could be throttled I'll be looking for it, but so far nothing.

The only thing I have noticed is that now I have an indicator to tell me what gear I'm in. Really confused me when I first saw it driving home from the dealer. "3? what does 3 mean?" Pulled up to the stoplight to run through my dash settings and it was reading "N". That's when I figured it out. As far as I can tell, there is no way to turn this off. Not a big deal, I guess it could remind me to shift into 6th on the highway. Very strange that this wasn't always there. Clearly the hardware is in place to read the gear, the software was just suppressing it for the last three years. Really makes you wonder what else our Jeeps COULD do.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch recall and fix question 1628262960751

Other than the unpleasant clutch vibration, everything has worked fine all this time. 35k miles before the recall for the exploding pressure plates, and nearly 50k miles before this software update. I'm guessing mine would have been fine without either of these recalls. They're free, whatever. FCA is just casting nets to catch intermittent failures, which is a good thing in my opinion.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I haven't noticed any difference in power or torque at all.
This is expected. It will only go into limp mode if you are a phenomenally bad driver and slip the clutch like crazy, *or* if your clutch is failing and slipping on its own.

Sponsored

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
Latecomer to this thread, but I call BS on Jeep's software "update". I traded a 2017 Wrangler Sport for a 2021 Wrangler Rubicon. Both 2-door and manual transmission. WIth the 2021, I have stalled it several times on take-off where the 2017 was a stump-puller off the line. The deficit is very noticeable.

Another question: It seems that most people are satisfied with Jeep's explanation that power will ONLY be reduced when an overheated clutch situation is detected. Now, how on earth will the updated software make this determination? As far as I know, there are no sensors inside the bell housing.

Sdchrisc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl sahara
Latecomer to this thread, but I call BS on Jeep's software "update". I traded a 2017 Wrangler Sport for a 2021 Wrangler Rubicon. Both 2-door and manual transmission. WIth the 2021, I have stalled it several times on take-off where the 2017 was a stump-puller off the line. The deficit is very noticeable.

Another question: It seems that most people are satisfied with Jeep's explanation that power will ONLY be reduced when an overheated clutch situation is detected. Now, how on earth will the updated software make this determination? As far as I know, there are no sensors inside the bell housing.
Agreed 100%.. thats why im still hesitant on getting the recall done. If I were to upgrade the clutch then would it still limp my vehicle when it feels like it?

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Agreed 100%.. thats why im still hesitant on getting the recall done. If I were to upgrade the clutch then would it still limp my vehicle when it feels like it?
Yes. As @Edslittleworld pointed out there is no temperature sensor in the clutch so they are estimating temperature, most likely by comparing engine rpm, selected gear and wheel speed to detect clutch slippage and factoring in throttle position to estimate how much heat is being dumped into the clutch. So it would still go into limp mode even if the aftermarket clutch can take more abuse.

That said, there is no downside to the recall. I've worked this Jeep hard off road and on road and have never had limp mode kick in. It is a non issue.

DanaPotter79

First Name
Danalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara Edition
I was ready to join your club when I purchased a low mileage 2018 2 door manual last weekend. Because it was a CPO, the dealer needed to go through it thoroughly to make sure it was worthy of the extended warranty offered in that program. Well, it turns out there is a stop sale order on it until Jeep comes up with a fix for the clutch plate recall. Everyone talks about a flash that de-powers or reduces torque under extreme circumstances, which does not sound like a viable solution.

They killed our deal and the Jeep will sit on the lot until they have a repair plan in late June. So my question is, do the manuals shipping out to dealers now have a similar band aid fix or has Jeep installed an improved clutch on those units? My dealer has no idea how to answer this because he deals in "very few, if any, manuals". In other words, he doesn't really care.
The 2018 - 2020 Jeep clutches that replace damaged clutches when they fail are the exact same clutch - no changes have been made to any components. My clutch plate overheated and exploded in my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimted and their fix (not covered by the Powertrain warranty) is to simply replace the clutch. It's been a nightmare!

Jeep A.jpg

Jeep B.jpg

Jeep C.jpg

Jeep D.jpg

Jeep E.jpg

Jeep F.jpg

Jeep G.jpg

Jeep H.jpg

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Very obviously a defective clutch design and/or manufacturing defect. Even an abused clutch should not grenade like that.

How many miles on your Jeep?
Sponsored