Clutch recall and fix question

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
I was ready to join your club when I purchased a low mileage 2018 2 door manual last weekend. Because it was a CPO, the dealer needed to go through it thoroughly to make sure it was worthy of the extended warranty offered in that program. Well, it turns out there is a stop sale order on it until Jeep comes up with a fix for the clutch plate recall. Everyone talks about a flash that de-powers or reduces torque under extreme circumstances, which does not sound like a viable solution.

They killed our deal and the Jeep will sit on the lot until they have a repair plan in late June. So my question is, do the manuals shipping out to dealers now have a similar band aid fix or has Jeep installed an improved clutch on those units? My dealer has no idea how to answer this because he deals in "very few, if any, manuals". In other words, he doesn't really care.
Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure every new manual Jeep just has the software update...could be wrong though. Itā€™s really nothing to worry about...at least in my opinion. Every manufacturer limits the output of their engines to some degree for the sake of reliability and longevity of parts. Youā€™ll likely never know anything is different unless you are trying to do burnouts...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Pretty sure every new manual Jeep just has the software update...could be wrong though. Itā€™s really nothing to worry about...at least in my opinion. Every manufacturer limits the output of their engines to some degree for the sake of reliability and longevity of parts. Youā€™ll likely never know anything is different unless you are trying to do burnouts...
You are correct on all counts.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I just went from a 2012 Rubicon to a 2021 Rubicon with the software update. Both are 3.6 with manual transmissions. If anything, the 2021 has more torque and more power. It is certainly not less.

I think the software nanny only kicks in if you have been abusing the clutch. I haven't had a chance to take the 2021 off road yet so I can't report on how much abuse is required to trigger it...

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I just went from a 2012 Rubicon to a 2021 Rubicon with the software update. Both are 3.6 with manual transmissions. If anything, the 2021 has more torque and more power. It is certainly not less.

I think the software nanny only kicks in if you have been abusing the clutch. I haven't had a chance to take the 2021 off road yet so I can't report on how much abuse is required to trigger it...
This is really good to hear. I'm about to go from a 2012 JK 2dr manual to a 2021 2dr Rubicon manual, so I'm happy to hear a positive review from someone with experience with both!

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
So my question is, do the manuals shipping out to dealers now have a similar band aid fix or has Jeep installed an improved clutch on those units?
The 2021s have a software fix from the factory or available through a recall. 2018s-2020s will have a similar software fix through a recall but it it is not available yet

OP
OP
Chazdog

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
I was told that the clutch on the 2021 has not changed since the introduction of the JL in 2018. If that is true, why is the factory fix available for outgoing units but not ones currently in dealers' inventory?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told that the clutch on the 2021 has not changed since the introduction of the JL in 2018. If that is true, why is the factory fix available for outgoing units but not ones currently in dealers' inventory?
Because the ā€˜21s have a different software version, so the patches are not identical (Y01 va Y07 recall ID). Of course, they needed to remedy the ones coming off the line to be sold before the older ones that were already sold.

OP
OP
Chazdog

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
That makes sense, thank you.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Finally a rational thread about the clutch recall. I too have a 2021 manual with the new software and couldnā€™t be happier. Iā€™m shocked at the torque this thing puts out both on and off road. Only good things to say on my end.

Sponsored

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I was ready to join your club when I purchased a low mileage 2018 2 door manual last weekend. Because it was a CPO, the dealer needed to go through it thoroughly to make sure it was worthy of the extended warranty offered in that program. Well, it turns out there is a stop sale order on it until Jeep comes up with a fix for the clutch plate recall. Everyone talks about a flash that de-powers or reduces torque under extreme circumstances, which does not sound like a viable solution.

They killed our deal and the Jeep will sit on the lot until they have a repair plan in late June. So my question is, do the manuals shipping out to dealers now have a similar band aid fix or has Jeep installed an improved clutch on those units? My dealer has no idea how to answer this because he deals in "very few, if any, manuals". In other words, he doesn't really care.
Another one here with a 2021 JLU with the software update. Agreed with everyone else - it doesn't seem like it has any less torque than when I test drove one. If anything, it may drive better. I've got about 1700 miles on mine already and not once have I felt it pull power. My wife drove it for the first time and floored it coming out of a gravel driveway and even got some drift action going.

Lots of people complain about the "rev hang" on this engine & transmission, but I literally have zero rev hang on my Jeep. Additionally, you get the little indicator on the dash that tells you which gear you're in. I had that in my WRX and it was nice for those times I forgot to shift from 5 to 6 on the highway

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of people complain about the "rev hang" on this engine & transmission, but I literally have zero rev hang on my Jeep.
It took me a long time to understand that complaint. In a nutshell, it only happens if you shift at like 5500 RPM or higher. Donā€™t do that. šŸ˜

I shift at 3k, maybe 4K if Iā€™m really trying to get moving in a hurry. No rev hang.

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Mine's a 2020, which I ordered in May and took delivery of in July of last year. As soon as I knew my VIN, I checked it against FCA's list of VINs affected by the clutch recall. I was pleased to see it wasn't on the list.

Then about a month ago I get the recall notice in the mail. So now I'm thinking WTF? But reading this thread it sounds like the fix is the software patch, so I guess that's why I got the recall.

Regarding rev hang, mine did it occasionally when it was new, but hasn't done it at all in a long time. FWIW, when it did hang it was at 2500-3K, not the higher engine speeds others have reported.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
It took me a long time to understand that complaint. In a nutshell, it only happens if you shift at like 5500 RPM or higher. Donā€™t do that. šŸ˜

I shift at 3k, maybe 4K if Iā€™m really trying to get moving in a hurry. No rev hang.
I haven't experienced that either. The pentastar likes to rev, so if I'm really pushing I'll wind it out quite a bit and no hang when I shift
Sponsored