Sponsored

dabble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
batmobile
Working with a dealer, might it be possible to pay the difference for the aftermarket clutch/flywheel and let them install the aftermarket in lieu of OEM parts?
Sponsored

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fun ones!
Working with a dealer, might it be possible to pay the difference for the aftermarket clutch/flywheel and let them install the aftermarket in lieu of OEM parts?
Folks, the message is clear. You go aftermarket anything, you are on your own. Jeepcares has made that abundantly clear multiple times. But keep on trying - it's entertaining!

dabble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
batmobile
Folks, the message is clear. You go aftermarket anything, you are on your own. Jeepcares has made that abundantly clear multiple times. But keep on trying - it's entertaining!
How would Jeep find out.? It's a deal between the vehicle owner and the shop. So yeah, keep trying something!

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fun ones!
How would Jeep find out.? It's a deal between the vehicle owner and the shop. So yeah, keep trying something!
Huh? If I understand you correctly, your expectation would be the dealer covers the labor but the customer pays the cost difference in the clutch itself? Maybe I'm confused....

Rrushen

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
Question (also) is, *which* OEM parts? Currently, as the recall letter explicitly says, no fix is available from the manufacturer. IOW, there are no OEM parts that fix the issue. What essentially Jeep is telling us is, your vehicle may blow up under you without warning, we know about it, but we do not have a fix, we do not give a sh*t, and if you fix it by installing an aftermarket part that eliminates the issue, we will not reimburse you because it is not OEM. F**king unbelievable TBH.

Sponsored

dabble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
batmobile
Huh? If I understand you correctly, your expectation would be the dealer covers the labor but the customer pays the cost difference in the clutch itself? Maybe I'm confused....
Why the confusion? If one ends up with a better, aftermarket clutch and the labor is covered, that not so bad.

From what I read here, nearly every Wrangler JL is modified with aftermarket parts, what makes the clutch any different?

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
I asked two dealers if it was possible to have them install an aftermarket clutch that I purchased and have the labor covered under the recall once there was a fix and was shot down both times. You can try. I hope you have better luck than I did.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Why would a Jeep dealer risk it? I doubt Stellantis will reimburse for MOPAR parts you had installed by a local mechanic, but I could be wrong.

Rather, what these offers usually mean is if say your clutch went bad and you had a new MOPAR clutch installed at your Jeep dealer, they will reimburse you for that.

Why the confusion? If one ends up with a better, aftermarket clutch and the labor is covered, that not so bad.

From what I read here, nearly every Wrangler JL is modified with aftermarket parts, what makes the clutch any different?
Because you're not asking Jeep to pay for your aftermarket parts.

Jeep isn't saying they will void your warranty for installing a third party clutch, they're saying they won't reimburse you for the cost of doing so any more than they'd pay for installing any other third-party part.

If say your radiator went bad, Jeep won't be reimbursing you parts or labor for swapping in an aftermarket one.

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Hello,

Thank you for grabbing our attention on this. We are currently not offering any reimbursement for any aftermarket parts/components for a recall. The parts/components does need to be OEM through Mopar for any reimbursement consideration.

William
Jeep Cares
Why would anyone replace a bad OEM part with another bad OEM part???? If the part is bad any sane person would replace it with something that is not bad…….. or dare I say good

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Why would anyone replace a bad OEM part with another bad OEM part???? If the part is bad any sane person would replace it with something that is not bad…….. or dare I say good
It's looking like that will likely be the way the recall is resolved too - the same clutch but new software.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Opinions vary on that last point. The way many of us read the recall, we expect a somewhat redesigned clutch. Probably still a dual mass design though.

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
If they just simply increase clamp load by 20% and have the current warning software, I think the warranty claims would drop. If they add about 20 inertia to the flywheel and redesign the pedal assist spring, drivability would become more pleasurable.
Sponsored