Sponsored

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Dumb question maybe, but has any one installed a manual from one of the Hemi cars? - ie. Challenger?
Sponsored

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
M-O-O-N spells “I’m done.”

Ordered an ACT clutch kit from Jegs. While my stock setup has been trouble free for 5 years and almost 60,000 miles, the recalls have left a bitter taste. One of my kids needs use of my Jeep this summer, and I don’t have energy to worry about him going up in flames. Also, now I can skip this recall and whatever crappy software they want to flash.

I’ll post a review after the new kit is installed, probably later this month.

I realize spending $2k on a fix that shouldn’t be necessary sucks, but peace of mind is valuable.
What kit did you get. I ordered the JP6-HDSS from summit. It said "Ships tomorrow", but after I bought it it said it would ship at the end of June.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
What kit did you get. I ordered the JP6-HDSS from summit. It said "Ships tomorrow", but after I bought it it said it would ship at the end of June.
I ordered the same one. I got a confirmation, but no ship date, yet. Their system said they had two in stock, so we’ll see.

Reactions: gek

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
I ordered the same one. I got a confirmation, but no ship date, yet. Their system said they had two in stock, so we’ll see.
Summit says " Ships Directly From Supplier" so I am guessing their supply information wasn't up to date. I don't really care as long as it gets here within enough time for me to put some miles on it before our trip to moab later this year.

Hopefully Jegs info was correct and it ships quick, then I can have some of that hindsight everyone is always talking about.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Summit says " Ships Directly From Supplier" so I am guessing their supply information wasn't up to date. I don't really care as long as it gets here within enough time for me to put some miles on it before our trip to moab later this year.

Hopefully Jegs info was correct and it ships quick, then I can have some of that hindsight everyone is always talking about.
I’ll post back as soon as I get shipping info. I did notice that three different retailers said they had two in stock which seemed a bit too coincidental.

@Actman do these ship directly from you, or do resellers maintain stock? I was going to order direct, but your site said out of stock.

Reactions: gek

Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
For anyone thinking about getting a new clutch, consider the following.

As of writing this, ACT's clutch runs about $500 less than any of the Centerforce clutches. Centerforce clutches offer a significantly heavier flywheel than ACT and also have all new hydraulics which explains at least part of the cost differences. edit per ACTman

Shop-costs are going to vary a lot around the country but regardless, Centerforce, with the new hydraulics, is almost certainly going to also cost more $$ than ACT for installation. All reports say that the not only does a shop have to go through all the process of replacing hydraulics with CF (which alone costs more because install time is greater, all else equal) BUT the process of properly bleeding the JL hydraulics is complicated and apparently a real Pain in the A$$. Therefore, additional costs for CF install.

As noted, shop costs vary a lot around the country whereas cost of clutches varies less but regardless, I easily see out the door costs of an ACT clutch being something like 30% to 50% less than a CF depending on where you are. In $s we are talking >$1,000 in savings for ACT over CF.

The CF products and ACT products, while all clutches, appear to have very different features and I don't necessarily see the higher CF cost as without reason. If curious, I committed to a CFII before @Actman started to educate folks on the forum about ACT's product. My Jeep is still in the shop so I can't say jack about the CFII driving experience on first-hand basis but expect to really like it (I promise to report back with actual experience in coming months). That said, I am certain I would be paying waaayyyy less had I gone for ACT.

Just some things to consider.

Last edited:

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr Sport S
has anyone traded in their manual since this recall was announced? get any kickback about it?

Stengaaa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy sonic, soon wrangler Jl 2 door
For anyone thinking about getting a new clutch, consider the following.

As of writing this, ACT's clutch runs about $500 less than any of the Centerforce clutches. Centerforce clutches offer a significantly heavier flywheel than ACT and also have all new hydraulics which explains at least part of the cost differences.

Shop-costs are going to vary a lot around the country but regardless, Centerforce, with the new hydraulics, is almost certainly going to also cost more $$ than ACT for installation. All reports say that the not only does a shop have to go through all the process of replacing hydraulics with CF(which alone costs more because install time is greater, all else equal) BUT the process of properly bleeding the JL hydraulics is complicated and apparently a real Pain in the A$$. Therefore, additional costs for CF install.

As noted, shop costs vary a lot around the country whereas cost of clutches varies less but regardless, I easily see out the door costs of an ACT clutch being something like 30% to 50% less than a CF depending on where you are. In $s we are talking >$1,000 in savings for ACT over CF.

The CF products and ACT products, while all clutches, appear to have very different features and I don't necessarily see the higher CF cost as without reason. If curious, I committed to a CFII before @Actman started to educate folks on the forum about ACT's product. My Jeep is still in the shop so I can't say jack about what CFII feels like but expect to really like it (I promise to report back with actual experience in coming months). That said, I am certain I would be paying waaayyyy less had I gone for ACT.

Just some things to consider.
The bleeding and install things you said is a big factor in my consideration for ACT plus the fact they’ve been here educating instead of simply saying buy our products I just would feel comfortable going that route when my jeep arrives and it’s time for a new clutch

awadofmoney

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Sport 4.0 MT 2DR, 24 Rubicon 3.6 MT 2DR ordered
has anyone traded in their manual since this recall was announced? get any kickback about it?
One dealership refused to give me an appraisal because of the recall (There's also an order restriction on ordering new wranglers with the 6MT which further complicates things for me). But CARMAX didn't care. I was also able to get another dealership to take it so I ended up ordering my 2024 wrangler through them.

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr Sport S
One dealership refused to give me an appraisal because of the recall (There's also an order restriction on ordering new wranglers with the 6MT which further complicates things for me). But CARMAX didn't care. I was also able to get another dealership to take it so I ended up ordering my 2024 wrangler through them.
was it a Jeep dealership? assuming other manufacturers wouldn't even know about it. or care like Carmax. good for you and I hope the 24 is awesome. I for one like the changes they made.

Sponsored

awadofmoney

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Sport 4.0 MT 2DR, 24 Rubicon 3.6 MT 2DR ordered
was it a Jeep dealership? assuming other manufacturers wouldn't even know about it. or care like Carmax. good for you and I hope the 24 is awesome. I for one like the changes they made.
Yeah they were all Jeep dealerships. What's weird is that when I look up the recall on NHTSA using my VIN it says "Remedy not yet available" but when I look up the recall using the car model it says "Dealers will replace the clutch assembly and update the software on the vehicle that mitigates all safety risks related to the clutch assembly, free of charge". So I cant tell if the issue is resolved or not.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I would imagine that after all of this, many dealers are going to be very much willing to offer stellar deals on their overripe inventory of manual Wranglers and Gladiators.

Once the stop-sale ends, may be the time to buy a new 2022 or 2023 at rock bottom price. Savings may even be so much that even after extra cost of installing a fresh aftermarket clutch would still be a great deal (I have zero confidence in Jeep and their dealers that this new fix is going to be done right... maybe more trustworthy if done by the factory at time of manufacture but not holding my breath).

Reactions: LCW

CapeArt

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Sport S, Porsche 987S, MazdaSpeed Miata
The bleeding and install things you said is a big factor in my consideration for ACT plus the fact they’ve been here educating instead of simply saying buy our products I just would feel comfortable going that route when my jeep arrives and it’s time for a new clutch
Which ACT kit?

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
As of right now with my being built manual trans 2 door, my plan is to use the stock setup unit either an issue arises or it wears out and just probably going ACT as the replacement especially since i don’t plan on towing often but it’s partially why I got the tow package for my motorcycle and I’d rather have the sturdier setup they are offering with the easier installation over CF with the new hydraulics
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there currently a "Stop Sale" on all manuals preventing you, and other manual orders from taking delivery until this is all sorted out?