Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
The radio silence on this issue is deafening. How about giving the Jeep owners a little status every once in a while, maybe have someone from @JeepCares post something from the engineering team? Probably should take a handful of engineers off of the EV transition work and start working on the recall fix. I'm trying not to prejudge their solution, but it is getting harder as time passes. I was quite underwhelmed when they issued a software "fix" for a mechanical problem.
Sponsored

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
With a few over 70,000 manual units total (Wrangler and Gladiator), I am thinking their manual sales are a small drop in the bucket compared to the total sales figures.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators 2023-05-16 20_29_15-Jeep Wrangler Sales Figures _ US Car Sales Figure - Brave

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators 2023-05-16 20_32_24-Jeep Gladiator Sales Figures _ US Car Sales Figure - Brave

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regardless of sales totals, if they didn't offer the JLU in 6MT I wouldn't have been interested. You can still get a Taco in 6MT 4x4, I'd have just gone with that and put a shell on the back. I'm happy with my Jeep and not overly disappointed with the clutch and transmission. My JLUS performs well here in Florida for my application.

REMpeddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Hydro Blue JLR ordered 7/30/22
So I have to wait to teach the future Mrs. how to drive 3 pedal?

Anyone else learn on a JL?

May not be the best clutch to punish.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
So I have to wait to teach the future Mrs. how to drive 3 pedal?

Anyone else learn on a JL?

May not be the best clutch to punish.
I teach in a JL. 4L and gravel teaches the clutch really easily. Get a new driver comfortable getting in and out of 1st. Repeat starting in second. Get reps in, get them thinking about how to manage 3 pedals with start/stop/reverse and different back-to-back tasks. Then make them climb a rock to learn what a hill feels like in a safe 2-3 foot space.
Then break and go to a parking lot and repeat in 2H. Just hill starts left after that. Edit: I teach gear change in the parking lot.
All pretty easy on the clutch then because 4L is awesome for the worst part of learning.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I teach in a JL. 4L and gravel teaches the clutch really easily. Get a new driver comfortable getting in and out of 1st. Repeat starting in second. Get reps in, get them thinking about how to manage 3 pedals with start/stop/reverse and different back-to-back tasks. Then make them climb a rock to learn what a hill feels like in a safe 2-3 foot space.
Then break and go to a parking lot and repeat in 2H. Just hill starts left after that.
All pretty easy on the clutch then because 4L is awesome for the worst part of learning.
Yeah, the opposite of how I learned on a Geo Metro in 1993. 50hp 1.0L 3cyl, cable driven clutch. When I got my V-6 S-10 I got spoiled with a 4.3L and hydraulic clutch. I plan on teaching both my children on my olde school Civic and 2021 JLU. Probably something they will never use again like cursive writing.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Yeah, the opposite of how I learned on a Geo Metro in 1993. 50hp 1.0L 3cyl, cable driven clutch. When I got my V-6 S-10 I got spoiled with a 4.3L and hydraulic clutch. I plan on teaching both my children on my olde school Civic and 2021 JLU. Probably something they will never use again like cursive writing.
Jeep has their full electric mated to a 6-speed. So the dream lives on!

Sponsored

Somnium

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon - Sting Gray
Occupation
Systems Administrator - IT
With a few over 70,000 manual units total (Wrangler and Gladiator), I am thinking their manual sales are a small drop in the bucket compared to the total sales figures.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators 2023-05-16 20_32_24-Jeep Gladiator Sales Figures _ US Car Sales Figure - Brave

Although that is true, the third peddle Jeep owners sway much harder towards fervent end of the spectrum, vs. your casual "I drive a Jeep because I'm fancy" crowd... probably not the group you want upset with your brand.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
What's worse is that even if you try to sign up for notification on when the fix is available the link goes to this:

And it has been like this since the recall came out. @JeepCares can you fix this?
These people in this Chrysler photo are running from their vehicle. The clutch has exploded and flames were licking their boots.

Yes, this is a minivan. Surely it has (had) to be manual.

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I think our latest testing reveals a lot of the problem. If you don't have time to review our "EXPLODED JL clutch" thread, at least watch this latest video:
were the friction disks glazed ?

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
were the friction disks glazed ?
You would have to clarify what you mean by glazed, but you can see one of them in the video. As mentioned in the video, there are no signs of overheating or abuse.

J.C.

First Name
J.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willy's Sport
My dealer texted me to set up an appointment for the recall, if there is no fix at this time, why would they contact me to set up an appointment. I picked up my Willy’s Sport in January of this year.
Sponsored