Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Scotty Kilmer is a jackass and no one should take anything he has to say seriously.

Also what exactly was replaced on your jeep? a clutch repair should not have been 9k. kinda sounds like there is more to the story?
^ This
Sponsored

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
Scotty Kilmer is a jackass and no one should take anything he has to say seriously.

Also what exactly was replaced on your jeep? a clutch repair should not have been 9k. kinda sounds like there is more to the story?
Read the f'g thread. Clutch pressure plate explosion ripped hole thru bell housing, severing wiring harness and coolant line. Bell housing had a hole in it the size of a large mouse. Yeah, sounds like there was more to it, ya think?

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Read the f'g thread. Clutch pressure plate explosion ripped hole thru bell housing, severing wiring harness and coolant line. Bell housing had a hole in it the size of a large mouse. Yeah, sounds like there was more to it, ya think?
Excuse me for not being intimately familiar with everything you've ever posted. In this thread all you said was "it blew", that could be a lot of things, like blew up your clutch, which in car speak could just mean your clutch went bad.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Excuse me for not being intimately familiar with everything you've ever posted. In this thread all you said was "it blew", that could be a lot of things, like blew up your clutch, which in car speak could just mean your clutch went bad.
No, she was pretty specific that it was explosive damage. It's reasonable to expect you to read the prior posts in the same thread before you demand a further story from that poster. Your user name seems quite appropriate :LOL:

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
No, she was pretty specific that it was explosive damage. It's reasonable to expect you to read the prior posts in the same thread before you demand a further story from that poster. Your user name seems quite appropriate :LOL:
Nope I've re read the post in this thread multiple times, don't see that anywhere. Maybe I have poor reading comprehension, just not seeing anything that specific.

I didn't demand anything, just mused that seems to be more to it than a clutch failure at a 9k repair bill.

Whatever I really don't care.

Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
The weird gear spacing isn't weird at all, once you gear the axles down. Our transmission went from "fight to find the right ratio" to "every ratio has a purpose" going from 3.45 to 4.10 and 33's.
I'll third - or forth this. One of the reasons I went to 4.88's was to help the clutch. At 3.45 it just felt like it was struggling, especially once lifted and put on a set of 315's (duh...). At 4.88 he was peppy and happy again with plenty of take-up spirit. "Every ratio has a purpose' is a great summary. I'm even in 6th - with power.

Hoping my strategy of re-gearing early, going with the lighter 315 KO2 and not hammering the skinny pedal extends my clutches life. I'm in no hurry at all to have Jeep get in there and start monkeying around with a perfectly good set up just because there's a safety recall. In a perfect world I'd go in in a few years when my clutch reached the end of its natural life and they'd pick up the tab. A guy can dream, right?

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Nope I've re read the post in this thread multiple times, don't see that anywhere. Maybe I have poor reading comprehension, just not seeing anything that specific.

I didn't demand anything, just mused that seems to be more to it than a clutch failure at a 9k repair bill.

Whatever I really don't care.
I owe you an apology as it looks from her post history that it was in several other threads related to this one, but not actually this thread, where she described it and posted photos of the hole blown through the transmission. Sorry about that; they all ran together in my head.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I just can't imagine the regear on ours not helping clutch life.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
I owe you an apology as it looks from her post history that it was in several other threads related to this one, but not actually this thread, where she described it and posted photos of the hole blown through the transmission. Sorry about that; they all ran together in my head.
NO WORRIES!!

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
NO WORRIES!!
This is the sort of interaction that I feel like I rarely see on the internet. Love it.

Sponsored

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
This is the sort of interaction that I feel like I rarely see on the internet. Love it.
I used to moderate a car forum 10 years ago that could have thousands of active users in the middle of the day, and it can be rough. I really try not to ruffle feathers on the internet, but sometimes I can come off a bit curt and I appreciate when I can resolve interactions like above. Tone can be very hard to convey on the internet, and I think it's important to try and remember we're all people behind these profiles.

Stengaaa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy sonic, soon wrangler Jl 2 door
I used to moderate a car forum 10 years ago that could have thousands of active users in the middle of the day, and it can be rough. I really try not to ruffle feathers on the internet, but sometimes I can come off a bit curt and I appreciate when I can resolve interactions like above. Tone can be very hard to convey on the internet, and I think it's important to try and remember we're all people behind these profiles.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle

TroyMclure

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn
Hey,

F this guy. Morons like this are just too lazy to do any research. I'm amazed by the number of new threads that state, I just got a recall notice that my clutch might explode. There's a recent thread from someone with 500 miles on the odometer, who got this notice. Really? In this day and age of the internet, you didn't bother with a simple Google search before buying such an expensive vehicle?

I want to thank you and others who posted their experiences with the Jeep JL clutch. Back around 2 years ago, I was looking to upgrade to a Wrangler, and preferred an MT (my current Jeep Patriot is stick, and I really like it). Internet research brought me to this site and others, where the exploding JL clutch has been documented. I was hoping that Jeep would eventually fix their defective JL clutch design. That's one reason I keep checking into this site. Now that they issued a 3rd recall, that seems unlikely. How can Jeep be this bad?

You guys scared me away from a potentially terrible decision. Thank you. The way you guys have been treated by Jeep (or Chrysler, or Fiat, or Stellantis, or whatever the hell they call themselves now ) has been awful.

I saw a news article recently where there has been a suit filed because of this (in Michigan, I think). In the article, representatives from Stellantis stated they can prove the two previous recalls fixed the problem. Now that they are being forced to issue a forthcoming 3rd recall, I wonder how that affects that lawsuit.
Sponsored

Last edited: