Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
There's a lot more to it than just the transmission or components. The best driving manuals tend to be on very light weight vehicles where the transmissions themselves can be smaller and lighter.

Anything designed for larger levels of applied torque (pickup, HD truck, MD truck, Semi) tend to be sloppier because there is deflection in the case / frame / suspension, etc from the applied torque and it would all bind up if was as tight as a Honda civic for example

True that. But the Tremec M6 on the 650HP/650TQ ZL1 that weights almost the same as a Wrangler is nice and tight also. The Wrangler has a really cheap clutch/transmission - it didn't have to be that way.
Sponsored

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
auto ? not sure about the side steps .
MT. That’s what has frozen my factory order Willys. 10-4 on the side steps. Going for the factory running boards as they flow from fender to fender really well.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
For those looking for a practical option to the stock clutch, I think we have just what you need. For details:
https://www.advancedclutch.com/arti...or-JEEP-Wrangler-JL-Gladiator-JT-Applications
I will be posting detailed explanation of the OEM clutch and how we developed our clutch in the near future.
Can you also compare with Centerforce’s offerings? You’re at the same price point, but their kit also replaces hydraulics.

People here sing the praises of CF’s heavy flywheel, but the fact is that most of us DD their Jeeps. I’m not looking to add rev hang and a leg workout to mine, and am eager to hear how ACT drives compared to CF. Call me crazy, but I love how my stock clutch drives.

Dr. Jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Rubicon
I fixed my “where the hell is my Willys” issue. And fixed my have to regear the 3:45 issue. Picked this up today 17345 miles. 2.5 years more warranty. $31,000. Cold Weather Tow package and a few more goodies!
AEDE6785-6B51-4BF6-964A-64D391CDEA1F.jpeg
Very nice. Sting-Grey?

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Hey we all have choices. I can understand preferring a manual or an auto. But HATE for one with all caps is a bit much, no? :)

I like bolt actions and revolvers, but I don't hate the autoloaders :)
Unfortunately the word is justified. Simply read this thread, which is about owners of manual transmissions, and count how many pages don't have someone talking shit about how an MT is the devil incarnate, ancient incapable technology long bereft of benefits, phased out of existence twenty years ago, blah blah blah.... This isn't even the right thread.

The word choice, HATE, is simple code for: I can give you an itemized list of the major issues I have with automatic transmissions, even the beloved ZF transmission (which has had recalls, in Gladiators even)... but people will just stick their fingers in their ears and this isn't the appropriate thread anyway.

Sponsored

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
People here sing the praises of CF’s heavy flywheel, but the fact is that most of us DD their Jeeps. I’m not looking to add rev hang and a leg workout to mine, and am eager to hear how ACT drives compared to CF. Call me crazy, but I love how my stock clutch drives.
I've delayed this inevitable research on well. I understand the CF has three(?) variations but we usually only hear about the dump truck version. For the Southbend, I don't recall seeing comments on how it drives.

The stock system can be very fast when you're in the mood. That was never true on my 94 YJ even though the AX15 was awesome. I've driven a friend's Dodge Cummins one tonne and that clutch gave you back pain, probably 20lb plus. I've had times outdoors where I've gotten so dehydrated that I couldn't keep my foot in place on the accelerator pedal without leg cramps :giggle: so I actually liked this clutch when it arrived, felt like the type of thing I could drive for 20yr until I start getting old. ;)

I wonder why no one has marketed a "fly by wire manual transmission": See you just set the desired pressure, the magnetic actuator ensures the proper force, and you control shifting!! :bandit: (Never mind that it's mechanically an automatic maybe with software that follows instructions)

(ps yeah plenty of fluids back at the vehicle, but rehydration takes time)

Stengaaa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy sonic, soon wrangler Jl 2 door
I've delayed this inevitable research on well. I understand the CF has three(?) variations but we usually only hear about the dump truck version. For the Southbend, I don't recall seeing comments on how it drives.

The stock system can be very fast when you're in the mood. That was never true on my 94 YJ even though the AX15 was awesome. I've driven a friend's Dodge Cummins one tonne and that clutch gave you back pain, probably 20lb plus. I've had times outdoors where I've gotten so dehydrated that I couldn't keep my foot in place on the accelerator pedal without leg cramps :giggle: so I actually liked this clutch when it arrived, felt like the type of thing I could drive for 20yr until I start getting old. ;)

I wonder why no one has marketed a "fly by wire manual transmission": See you just set the desired pressure, the magnetic actuator ensures the proper force, and you control shifting!! :bandit: (Never mind that it's mechanically an automatic maybe with software that follows instructions)

(ps yeah plenty of fluids back at the vehicle, but rehydration takes time)
Probably because most drivers unfortunately don’t want it so why spend money in r&d of something that sophisticated that statistically nobody wants

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
Can you also compare with Centerforce’s offerings? You’re at the same price point, but their kit also replaces hydraulics.

If you like the stock clutch, then you should run the stock clutch. It is going to give you the lightest pedal feel and reduces the most transmission noise, etc.

If you shop I think you will find our clutch is about the same price as stock and less expensive than CF, not to mention the labor savings.

https://www.jegs.com/i/ACT-Clutch/054/JP6-HDSS/10002/-1
https://www.quadratec.com/p/centerforce/ii-clutch-kit-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-KCFT157077

Here are couple posts that provide a little more information:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...t-f-ing-centerforce.67699/page-2#post-1113259

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ssure-plate-issues.107278/page-4#post-2235403

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I thought Customer Service was being a smart ass. I sent Customer Service a reimbursement form with documentation that the jeep was repaired with new parts and eliminating Safety Recall 19A. The response from Jeep was sorry, “your request for reimbursement is denied because there is no known repair for this problem and no parts are available.” Well since I sent him scanned proof the repair was done with parts (Centerforce II clutch/ flywheel kit) and professional installation, his answer made no sense. Then he recommends for me to wait for the third Safety Recall to come out and they will schedule my service. Why would they service my newly installed clutch system? They wouldn’t, makes no sense. Answer me this;
A. “You should wait until the third Safety Recall is issued, then schedule for service.” What does that mean? Can I drive the rig or not? There is one Safety Recall NOT complied with and another one coming? The insinuation is Safety is a concern.
B. Let’s say you decide to drive the rig and it catches fire and burns to the ground. No one injured. Do you think your insurance company could avoid paying your claim when they find out you are driving a vehicle with two Safety Recalls not complied with?
Customer service should make sense.
Its a very specific process to be reimbursed for recall work. The customer service rep can’t do anything about it until there is an approved repair.

Sponsored

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Very nice. Sting-Grey?
Yes. I ordered a Sarge Green for my MT Willys. This Rubi in Sting Gray was the only JL Wrangler 2 door manual new or used in Western Canada.. Dealers and every buy/sell checked. Turns out the colour is really growing on me. It gets lighter in the sun and almost dark grey/ carbon fibre colour in darker light. Pretty cool.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Probably because most drivers unfortunately don’t want it so why spend money in r&d of something that sophisticated that statistically nobody wants
On good! Companies listen to customers! :angel: That's why they put a dial gear selector in the automatic, so if someone is here griping how their auto is the schizzle just wait five years (ago) and the gear selection will all be pushbutton. Gotta make room for phones for four! (Customer requests are a competition. The winner is...)

First they came for the bench seats, but I didn't say anything because I switched to bucket seats.

Next they came for our throttles, but I kept quiet because I didn't notice a difference with the magnetic pedal.

Then they came for our manual transmissions, but I helped complain about them because I was too lazy to press that pedal.

When they finally came for my park/drive/reverse lever, there was no one left I hadn't offended.

(*... the winner is profit.)

DP79

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Crazy thought, but what are the chances Stellantis partners with Centerforce to offer an alternative fix to this issue? I’m thinking something along the lines of giving customers the option of choosing the factory fix or offering 50% off labor to install a CF clutch at the dealership.

Ok is it time to wake up yet?

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Are dealers blocked from selling manuals right now? Is Jeep not shipping manuals?

Doing a search from Jeep’s site shows a bit drought in manuals. Not that there is that many in normal times anyways.
Sponsored